2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Sheetz is discounting Unleaded 88 fuel. Is this ok to use in the V6 3.2 Cheokee?

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I see Sheetz is discounting Unleaded 88 fuel. Is this ok to use in the V6 3.2 Cheokee?
Well, if it's "unleaded" 88, that's just basically regular unleaded, at 88 octane so yes, perfectly fine. Are you sure it's not "E 88", because that would probably not be good since that's 88% ethanol, and I don't think the 3.2 is a "flex fuel" approved engine if I remember correctly...馃槑

Registered
If this is accurate : What is Sheetz 88 octane gas? | PopularAsk.net - Your Daily Dose of Knowledge

.. then their 88 octane contains 15% ethanol (it's 84 octane gas + ethanol). Our KLs, according to the manual, should not run on anything higher than 10% ethanol.
Wow, interesting Mark. I know down here anything over 10% is considered an ethanol fuel, and should not be marketed as unleaded. I run a lot of E85 in the Can Am, because it is built and tuned to run on it, and it's considered a high performance "race" fuel, and comes in around 100-105 octane, but I still prefer 102 octane true unleaded race gas, which is still no more than 10% ethanol...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the article.

PITTSBURGH 鈥
Sheetz says it is lowering some of its gas prices for a limited time.
The company announced Monday that it will charge $3.99 a gallon for unleaded 88 and $3.49 a gallon for E85, effective immediately and continuing "through the July 4th holiday travel season."

I see this. but yes I see that in the manual not to go above 10%

Unleaded 88 is approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for use in vehicles for model years 2001 or newer, as well as light-duty trucks, SUVs and flexible-fuel vehicles, Sheetz said in its announcement.
"E85 contains more ethanol (51%-83%) and is not compatible with all vehicles. It is designed specifically for 'flexible fuel vehicles' or FFVs," the announcement said. "FFVs can use regular gasoline (E10), E15, or E85. When available, E85 is clearly designated as a different fuel type and should not be used in standard vehicles."
Drivers are advised to check their owner's manual to see if their vehicle is able to run with E85.

Registered
Here is the article.

PITTSBURGH 鈥
Sheetz says it is lowering some of its gas prices for a limited time.
The company announced Monday that it will charge $3.99 a gallon for unleaded 88 and $3.49 a gallon for E85, effective immediately and continuing "through the July 4th holiday travel season."

I see this. but yes I see that in the manual not to go above 10%

Unleaded 88 is approved by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for use in vehicles for model years 2001 or newer, as well as light-duty trucks, SUVs and flexible-fuel vehicles, Sheetz said in its announcement.
"E85 contains more ethanol (51%-83%) and is not compatible with all vehicles. It is designed specifically for 'flexible fuel vehicles' or FFVs," the announcement said. "FFVs can use regular gasoline (E10), E15, or E85. When available, E85 is clearly designated as a different fuel type and should not be used in standard vehicles."
Drivers are advised to check their owner's manual to see if their vehicle is able to run with E85.
When I 'read between the lines' there, I see they don't want to write 15% ethanol, because they know only flex-fuel cars can run it safely, and NOT all 2001+ cars are flex-fuel ready. Our KLs are not... They should disclose ethanol content up front, not this dance.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I see you point. I'll have to thank them for discounting fuel I can't use LOL.
I appreciate all the replies on this.
Better safe than sorry, to save 12 dollars lol

• Sad
Reactions: Leems and Mark_

Registered
Ya, unfortunately I would just continue to run regular unleaded, but that's a great price for E85. I'm paying roughly the same price as regular unleaded for it around here, which today is averaging around $5.15 a gallon here in Utah...馃槑

Registered
Ya, unfortunately I would just continue to run regular unleaded, but that's a great price for E85. I'm paying roughly the same price as regular unleaded for it around here, which today is averaging around $5.15 a gallon here in Utah...馃槑
$4.31 for regular at some stations around here. I put some non-ethanol 91 octane in my bike today at 5.01 a gallon.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
Hmmm... In my year's manual, it says E15 OR less is acceptable (and more than E15 is not):
Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel

Reactions: Leems and techguyga

Registered
Hmmm... In my year's manual, it says E15 OR less is acceptable (and more than E15 is not):
View attachment 219903
Which year manual is this ? (edit : 2019, got it) I only checked 2014 and 2015 manuals (they say 10%). OP has a 2021. Maybe... engines are now capable of using E-15 ?

Registered
After some reading around.. it kinda stinks, really. Seems like the 'move up' to get E-15 into the non flex-fuel category was in large part to cater to the ethanol industry... Yes, the manuals now say E-15 is Ok, but is it really ? I guess we'll know after engines have run it for a bunch of miles.
I understand the price advantage though, especially these days.

We don't have E-15 around here so I don't have to decide whether I'd use it or not... and I don't know if there have been any real changes made to our engines since 10% ethanol was set as the upper limit... hmmm..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hmm.. I guess I read the wrong manual. I went to mymopar and looked at the manual.
CAUTION:
DO NOT use E-85, gasoline containing methanol, or gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15). Use of these blends may result in starting and drivability problems, damage critical fuel system components, cause emissions to exceed the applicable standard, and/or cause the Malfunction Indicator Light to illuminate. Please observe pump labels as they should clearly communicate if a fuel contains greater than 15% ethanol (E-15).
Problems that result from using gasoline containing more than 15% ethanol (E-15) or gasoline containing methanol are not the responsibility of the manufacturer and may void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

I think I'll still pass. 16 dollars just doesn't seem worth the risk

good discussion though!

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
I'm not a big fan of ehtanol either, the fuel itself is fine, but I don't trust auto makers to make vehicles resistant to the problems it can cause. Even though I did point out the E-15, since it is the Maximum allowable, E-10 (in an E-15 ok'd system) would seem more prudent for longevity. :cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
I'm not a big fan of ehtanol either, the fuel itself is fine, but I don't trust auto makers to make vehicles resistant to the problems it can cause. Even though I did point out the E-15, since it is the Maximum allowable, E-10 (in an E-15 ok'd system) would seem more prudent for longevity. :cool:
I live in Massachusetts and we have had nothing but E10 available since the late 90s. I have never had an issue with it in any of my vehicles including my 68 Barracuda. Many of these vehicles have gone in excess of 200,000 miles. All my lawn equipment has always had nothing but E10 with no issues.

What I have read about E15 is it was approved by the EPA for use in all vehicles designed for E10. It does not require any changes to use it.

The issue with Ethanol is that it can attack rubber/elastomers used in fuel systems. Those materials have not been used since the 80s. Worrying about Ethanol in your fuel is much ado about nothing.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Registered
I've run Unleaded 88 / E15 in my 2018 3.2L since it was new (subject to availability). There are only a few stations clustered in my area that carry it so I have it in tank most of the time, but sometimes I have to pump regular 87 octane unleaded. I've had no problems at all using it and notice no drivability issues in mixed driving.

If you believe what the government publishes, ethanol contains about one-third less energy than gasoline. So, vehicles will typically go 3% to 4% fewer miles per gallon on E10 and 4% to 5% fewer on E15 than on 100% gasoline.

So for me, the difference between the two would only be 1 to 2%. That's not a lot and I offset that lower mileage with the lower cost of a fill-up.

Registered
The issue with Ethanol is that it can attack rubber/elastomers used in fuel systems. Those materials have not been used since the 80s. Worrying about Ethanol in your fuel is much ado about nothing.
That isn't the only issue with ethanol gas. The biggest one is that the high amounts of oxygen in ethanol blended fuels cause the gasoline to decay faster, and if left standing for long periods of time, the decaying fuel leaves varnish and sludge deposits. So good luck with trying to start up a carbureted engine after E-10 has been in the gas tank for a year or more. Small engine shops make a good living fixing those types of problems.

Registered
That isn't the only issue with ethanol gas. The biggest one is that the high amounts of oxygen in ethanol blended fuels cause the gasoline to decay faster, and if left standing for long periods of time, the decaying fuel leaves varnish and sludge deposits. So good luck with trying to start up a carbureted engine after E-10 has been in the gas tank for a year or more. Small engine shops make a good living fixing those types of problems.
Agreed. E-10 (jury still out on E-15) can't sit in a tank for too long. Those who let their vehicle sit for long periods should avoid high ethanol blends. I've seen my fair share of gunked up small engine carburators from having E-10 in the tank for 6 months. Also, it is highly recommended to keep your tank as full as possible when using ethanol rich blends, because of oxydation and water formation, which causes phase separation. Phase separation causes water bonded with ethanol to separate from gas and sink to the bottom of the tank, and that bottom mix can be toxic/corrosive for engines.
If you drive a lot, burn gas quickly, then perhaps E-15 is not so bad. Right now it is attractive (price) because oil prices are ridiculously high and corn prices relatively lower.

Registered
2022 Cherokee Trailhawk
Ethanol is hygroscopic, so it sucks up any moisture. Then when the vehicle sits for an extended time that ethanol and water mix drops to the bottom of the tank. If the tank is steel or aluminum this causes corrosion. It also changes the octane because with ethanol mixes, the ethanol is an octane booster. Not only that, when first started they're running off of a very low octane mix from the bottom of the tank. That can damage a high performance engine due to detonation.
These days with composite tanks and fuel lines it's not an issue with frequently used vehicles. That, and the tanks aren't open to atmosphere so moisture isn't introduced into the tank. They also recirculate fuel constantly.
Small equipment and old cars that don't have sealed fuel systems have problems when they sit. In warm temps the tank will outgas a little, then when it cools again, it draws in moisture laden air which is then absorbed by the ethanol. This is a daily night and day cycle.
On a modern vehicle, as long as the injection system is able to enrichen the mixture enough, the vehicle doesn't really care.
The main differences in flex fuel vehicles are their ability to enrichen the mixture a lot. It takes a lot more E-85 to do the same thing as straight gas even though it's higher octane.

Registered
Oh finally I'm going to be in the right place at the right time. I'm driving through Pennsylvania and Ohio on I-90 this Friday so I can get some.

Reactions: COJeff
1 - 20 of 55 Posts