2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Like everything in these vehicles, the audio system is configured through the BCM. If you have the base system and want to upgrade to the premium sound, you would have to configure it through AlfaOBD, telling it what you have and then perform the proxy.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Like everything in these vehicles, the audio system is configured through the BCM. If you have the base system and want to upgrade to the premium sound, you would have to configure it through AlfaOBD, telling it what you have and then perform the proxy.
As far as I know upgrading from base to premium if you bought all the parts needed, it still wouldn't work. I read a thread a while back where someone went to the premium system and even the dealerships couldn't figure out how to get them all sync'd and working.

The radio itself should be getting the info from the BCM but with the proxi failing, it doesn't get the full alignment it needs to configure to the vehicle on how it should.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Ok new update, got me another radio out of a 2018 ram 1500 from Canada. Total cost was $550 with shipping to the states included. It got here last night from UPS

Info about radio
Model # =UCQ aka UAQ equivalent but for Canada
serial #=68331632AH

Upon installing the new radio the ram logo pops up and the first thing I went to test is the radio, boom still no sound from front speakers. I run the proxi alignment and boom it still fails at the same error but everything else passes. Let it sleep for maybe 10 minutes. Jumped in to go get food somewhere close by home and radio is basically acting like the old UAQ I got. I was debating on just cutting my loses and removing the radio and putting my old RA4 back in for the long commute to work tomorrow but I have a couple updates for the new UCQ radio that I need to install first so I figure let me leave it in for now and finish it up tomorrow. I was hoping the updates would be work some stuff out for at least to have audio working and if it didn't I was just gonna sell the unit back for a higher price and easily make a profit off it.

Fast forward to the this morning I connected via Bluetooth to my radio and was fully prepared to listen to music from only 2 speakers this morning ahah. Now whenever I tried using any device with the radio, there was never adjusting the volume from the radio itself, however I could slightly adjust the volume from my phone to the max that it could. So when I got in this I tried adjusting the volume via my phone but I noticed that at it's max level, it was lower than what I remembered last night. Being confused and all and just for sh*ts and giggles, I decided to turn the volume up from the radio itself and it actually worked. The two front speakers are now working as well.

It seems like the proxi alignment worked but not entirely, because the backup camera was enabled and always turned on when I went into reverse but I have no backup camera so it always showed a black screen. Now the backup camera display doesn't turn on when I throw the Jeep into reverse. The surround sound option under audio is now gone. And a few other settings my jeep doesn't have.

It seems as if the radio needed to jump into deep deep sleep mode in order to learn stuff from the BCM. Now I left the other UAQ radio in for days with the Jeep off for many hours at a time and nothing still never worked with that one so I'm not sure why it decided to work with this UCQ radio.

I did lose some things though, heated seats and steering wheel options are gone but from what I could tell this morning, it was still enabled automatically because the temps were so low this morning when I started the Jeep, just no way to control them from there. I also lost SXM Radio which I don't really care about since I stream everything. But I do however care about the heated features so I might play around with the BCM to get them back.

One thing I did noticed is that instead of the RAM logo popping up now, it just says Chrysler. It's like the radio itself is loaded with RAM only content because even in the themes section there's only 5 themes or so available and they are all named RAM with a number next to it compared to the UAQ radio from the cherokee where it had like 12+ themes and all had different names.

·
Registered
18 Posts
See now I find that very interesting, do you have the base KL speakers in your Cherokee? As well as No amp and no sub?

I don't think it has so much to do with adding the sales code of the radio to the build of the vehicle because other people have done the proxi alignment here without having to add in that radio sales code. I think it's just something really stupid stopping the alignment from failing. I also think it matters heavily where you get your radio from and what configurations where made to it to fit the vehicle it was originally installed on.

Like I think our front speakers aren't working because it came out of a vehicle with premium speakers with amp and subs preconfigured to the raido itself. So when we plug it into ours, the radio is potentially searching for those amp and subs and because there is none in ours, it's confused and knocking out our front speakers and volume. Of course it's all software related and not a hardware issue so it could be fixed and that's why it matters where you get your radio from. I have a theory.

Let's do some digging, do you have the VIN #s of the vehicle you got both radios out of so far?

This all makes sense to me and was my hunch as well. I reached out to AlfaOBD to see if the actual radio can be configured through the tool rather than the car's BCM. Maybe if the radio can be directly configured, it can then pass the proxy alignment.

The first radio's VIN (where my speakers worked) was: 1C4PJMDX7KD295202

My current radio's VIN was: 1C4PJLDB0KD392210

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok new update, got me another radio out of a 2018 ram 1500 from Canada. Total cost was $550 with shipping to the states included. It got here last night from UPS

Info about radio
Model # =UCQ aka UAQ equivalent but for Canada
serial #=68331632AH

Upon installing the new radio the ram logo pops up and the first thing I went to test is the radio, boom still no sound from front speakers. I run the proxi alignment and boom it still fails at the same error but everything else passes. Let it sleep for maybe 10 minutes. Jumped in to go get food somewhere close by home and radio is basically acting like the old UAQ I got. I was debating on just cutting my loses and removing the radio and putting my old RA4 back in for the long commute to work tomorrow but I have a couple updates for the new UCQ radio that I need to install first so I figure let me leave it in for now and finish it up tomorrow. I was hoping the updates would be work some stuff out for at least to have audio working and if it didn't I was just gonna sell the unit back for a higher price and easily make a profit off it.

Fast forward to the this morning I connected via Bluetooth to my radio and was fully prepared to listen to music from only 2 speakers this morning ahah. Now whenever I tried using any device with the radio, there was never adjusting the volume from the radio itself, however I could slightly adjust the volume from my phone to the max that it could. So when I got in this I tried adjusting the volume via my phone but I noticed that at it's max level, it was lower than what I remembered last night. Being confused and all and just for sh*ts and giggles, I decided to turn the volume up from the radio itself and it actually worked. The two front speakers are now working as well.

It seems like the proxi alignment worked but not entirely, because the backup camera was enabled and always turned on when I went into reverse but I have no backup camera so it always showed a black screen. Now the backup camera display doesn't turn on when I throw the Jeep into reverse. The surround sound option under audio is now gone. And a few other settings my jeep doesn't have.

It seems as if the radio needed to jump into deep deep sleep mode in order to learn stuff from the BCM. Now I left the other UAQ radio in for days with the Jeep off for many hours at a time and nothing still never worked with that one so I'm not sure why it decided to work with this UCQ radio.

I did lose some things though, heated seats and steering wheel options are gone but from what I could tell this morning, it was still enabled automatically because the temps were so low this morning when I started the Jeep, just no way to control them from there. I also lost SXM Radio which I don't really care about since I stream everything. But I do however care about the heated features so I might play around with the BCM to get them back.

One thing I did noticed is that instead of the RAM logo popping up now, it just says Chrysler. It's like the radio itself is loaded with RAM only content because even in the themes section there's only 5 themes or so available and they are all named RAM with a number next to it compared to the UAQ radio from the cherokee where it had like 12+ themes and all had different names.

That's great news! Now I'm tempted to try to buy another radio.... I do use SXM though. Ugh, I wish this was simpler

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
This all makes sense to me and was my hunch as well. I reached out to AlfaOBD to see if the actual radio can be configured through the tool rather than the car's BCM. Maybe if the radio can be directly configured, it can then pass the proxy alignment.

The first radio's VIN (where my speakers worked) was: 1C4PJMDX7KD295202

My current radio's VIN was: 1C4PJLDB0KD392210
Your first vin had 6 speaker system, your second vin have the premium Alpine speaker system. Hence why it's not working properly. You'll just have to find a radio from another car that had 6 speaker system to ensure that the speakers work with your jeep. Gonna be very annoying to find but it seems that's the only way with the proxi alignment failing every single time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update:

Third try is a... semi-charm?

Installed my new radio today (from a vehicle that had a 6 speaker system) and all speakers are firing. The radio has an activated SiriusXM account (we'll see how long that lasts) that works perfectly, and is not displaying the dual climate zones.

The bad news is that the radio is showing heated seat and steering wheel options, and the dial indicator on the hot/cold symbol at the top left is not present.

I performed a proxy alignment and it failed at the same step. Going to let it go to deep sleep to see if it resolves any the bad news, but even if it doesn't, I think I'll be keeping this unit. CarPlay is worth it for me to deal with those minor annoyances. :)

I may purchase the HVAC module at some point as well to see if that resolves the dial issue if the deep sleep doesn't. We'll see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone mind sharing how much the dealer will charge for a proxi alignment? Just bought an 8.4 UAQ from infotainment. Upgrading from the 7. Excited to get it installed, but not sure if I want to attempt to do the proxy alignment myself.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Anyone mind sharing how much the dealer will charge for a proxi alignment? Just bought an 8.4 UAQ from infotainment. Upgrading from the 7. Excited to get it installed, but not sure if I want to attempt to do the proxy alignment myself.
Depending on how much they feel like robbing you, it'll be in the price range of $100-$150. And you're lucky if it actually works. Mine didn't.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Depending on how much they feel like robbing you, it'll be in the price range of $100-$150. And you're lucky if it actually works. Mine didn't.

This thread has been helpful for determining how I wanted to proceed with the upgrade. I'm hoping it'll go pretty smooth since the kit from Infotainment includes the new media hub, HVAC, and radio in one package.

Still waiting for the radio to come in, but I will definitely provide an update once I get it installed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I did it. Smooth install. Dealership only charged $89 for the proxi alignment. No issues here. Now to figure out what to do (if anything) with the 7” unit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welp....I took the plunge and purchased a radio from LKQ.....will update when it gets here

Reactions: shemmar360

·
Registered
43 Posts
Radio went in today, was able to preform the PROXY without any issues. Just waiting on an ebay message with the anti theft code and should be good to go! Just need to call SiriusXM and transfer over my subscription once everything is all done.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts