2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks great and glad to see you went through with it! Having the unit in now for several months I can say it works great other than 2 minor issues.... 1. sometimes google/apple maps get stuck at "home" with no way to correct it other than letting the car sit for a while... not sure if it's a problem with IOS or something that will be rectified in a Uconnect update. 2. Sometimes the screen will just glitch out and go black for a while, hasn't done that in some time now though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally, today I upgraded from Uconnect 8 "third generation to Uconnect 4c. I have a version with Nav and heated and ventilated seats, but I did not have to replace the HVAC module, also Android Auto works well without replacing USB. I had only one problem: after the radio was changed there wasn't sound, the camera did not work etc. I did the proxy allocation but to no avail, finally helps more time - the Jeep needs to go to sleep mode (more than a few minutes) after that everything works fine.

Here you have some pictures:
Looks great! Would you mind to share the unit (radio) part number you have managed to install? I'm looking into this kind of install too.. however really not sure about different units compatibility. Did you use the original harnesses to connect the unit?

·
Registered
18 Posts
PN: 68396161AC with the latest available software IR 22.5 (18.33.24). Installation is just plug and play - no need any additional cable.

I still have a problem with FM radio - I'll try another antenna from Compass (now I have a original shark antenna).

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
PN: 68396161AC with the latest available software IR 22.5 (18.33.24). Installation is just plug and play - no need any additional cable.

I still have a problem with FM radio - I'll try another antenna from Compass (now I have a original shark antenna).
Did they include the bezel with the purchase or you found it else where?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Your old one would've work just fine right? Or you needed a new bezel for perfect fit? I just ordered my radio and it should be here hopefully by end of week.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Marek, how are you planning to get teh updates for Uconnect? teh factory radio is connected to your VIN number. when you run the check on uconnect website - you enter teh vin. but how are you planning to check the updates now?

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did that go with the antenna, Marek? Did that fix the reception? BTW, maybe the issue with the antenna was due to the unit originally manufactured for Compass. BTW, why did you choose to install this unit when there seem to be 2019 Cherokee unit for a cheaper price (assuming one gets a new unit?)

·
Registered
18 Posts
How did that go with the antenna, Marek? Did that fix the reception? BTW, maybe the issue with the antenna was due to the unit originally manufactured for Compass. BTW, why did you choose to install this unit when there seem to be 2019 Cherokee unit for a cheaper price (assuming one gets a new unit?)
Hi,

Finally I solved problem with my antenna. As I wrote before I installed additional separator which provide power to antenna signal amplifier (I have original shark antenna). Now everything is fine, they quality and radio reception is as with my previous radio. So it's like Compass has a standard antenna w/o amplifier. That's why a I had a problem.

Why I installed this unit - hmm I paid for new unit arround 300 USD - I think that is very good offer. :wink:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi,

Finally I solved problem with my antenna. As I wrote before I installed additional separator which provide power to antenna signal amplifier (I have original shark antenna). Now everything is fine, they quality and radio reception is as with my previous radio. So it's like Compass has a standard antenna w/o amplifier. That's why a I had a problem.

Why I installed this unit - hmm I paid for new unit arround 300 USD - I think that is very good offer. :wink:
$300? And that's with a unit that comes with factory nav too? Jesus that's better than what they're going for at junkyards. Cheapest I've seen is $650 for those. Was that a one time lucky thing or you know where we can find deals like that too? I was able to snag a unit for $650 but it didn't have factory nav like it said he has on the listing so I sent it back, I'll wait it out til I find one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Regarding the USB hub. I was looking and looking and finally found a whole floor center console for $100 which had the USB hub and what not included (the hub alone was $200 elsewhere). I ended up swapping the top bezel that's around the shifter, it popped right in place on the existing console. The hub itself was a direct swap with existing harnesses, carplay works fantastic. I purchased a OBDLink MX and was able to get a copy of AlfaOBD, should be here tomorrow according to Amazon, I will then be performing the PROXI alignment myself.
Was the gear indicator light to the left of the shifter plug and play? I'm performing the same upgrade and the bezel I bought didn't come with the gear indicator light piece. The older bezel's indicator doesn't fit, so I'm looking at purchasing one from car-part.com, but the plug harness looks different. Did you have to splice any wires?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Regarding the USB hub. I was looking and looking and finally found a whole floor center console for $100 which had the USB hub and what not included (the hub alone was $200 elsewhere). I ended up swapping the top bezel that's around the shifter, it popped right in place on the existing console. The hub itself was a direct swap with existing harnesses, carplay works fantastic. I purchased a OBDLink MX and was able to get a copy of AlfaOBD, should be here tomorrow according to Amazon, I will then be performing the PROXI alignment myself.
I forgot to ask how easy was it to perform the proxi alignment? Seeing as the dealership is probably gonna cost me $100 for them to do it, im thinking i might as well purchase a good OBDLink MX and the alfaobd software for about the same price and have access to it forever.

Reactions: crash486

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Another upgrade to 4C completed.

Loving the snappier response and android auto of course with the new unit of course.
Currently running into some problems trying to do the proxy alignment. Everything passes and then it fails at telematic module and also only my rear speakers work and front ones do not for right now and i have zero control over volume its set to one setting. Its showing i have ventilated seats and dual climate control. Of course once i figure out the proxy alignment with alfaobd all of those issues will be corrected. And if i cant get it through alfa i guess the dealership would love to take my money for them to do it correctly.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok so major update here,

Couldnt perform the proxi alignment via alfaobd so i took my chances at the dealership and that also didnt work out. They said when they tried to applied the sales code for this radio to my vehicle, it doesnt work because the UAQ radio was never produce when all the sales code were written for my vehicle year and type.

Now i got my 4C unit from a 2019 trailhawk fully loaded, however Upon futher research i found that sites such as infotainment that sells 4C radio and other electronics for 2014-2018 cherokees that want the new radio uprade arent perfect either and have issues with sales code as well. If you look in this screenshot a person who bought the almost $2000 upgrade system that infotainment offers as a UAQ upgrade, they also had problems with the dealership not being able to complete the proxi alignment.

I would keep the radio and deal with the flashing odometer if only my radio would work properly, like i said the front speakers dont play music, only the rear ones do and the front ones only work when the gps is telling me to turn somewhere. Also my volume doesnt work at all, its set to a predefined level and doesnt go any higher or lower no matter which way i turn the volume knob or use the steering controls.

I could certainly mess around with alfaodb some more and try to correct the radio issue but not sure if im motivated to do it. Looks like I'll be cutting my chances of putting a 4C radio in my vehicle. Gonna be returning my unit and heading back to the good ole slow, android auto less, 7 year outdated map system, RA4 radio haha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been lurking on the post and wanted to give my input and maybe some hope for others. I successfully updated my wife's 2015 Cherokee this past week. I went from the UConnect 3 RA4 with Nav, to the updated UConnect 4 UAQ with Nav. The radio i purchased was from a 2019 Cherokee. I swapped the radio out, entered the unlock code and then performed the proxy alignment without issue using AlfaODB, it went right through, took a minute or two to run. Put the car to sleep and then powered back up, the radio came up, no issues, sound is good and climate control works fine. I did replace the HVAC module with one from a 2019 Cherokee as well, not sure if you need to do that but wanted to anyway. I did not replace the media hub and Android Auto works fine using the USB next to the gear shift. I believe if you want to use CarPlay you need to replace the hub, if not Android Auto should work.

We've been using it since Thursday and it's working great.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I've been lurking on the post and wanted to give my input and maybe some hope for others. I successfully updated my wife's 2015 Cherokee this past week. I went from the UConnect 3 RA4 with Nav, to the updated UConnect 4 UAQ with Nav. The radio i purchased was from a 2019 Cherokee. I swapped the radio out, entered the unlock code and then performed the proxy alignment without issue using AlfaODB, it went right through, took a minute or two to run. Put the car to sleep and then powered back up, the radio came up, no issues, sound is good and climate control works fine. I did replace the HVAC module with one from a 2019 Cherokee as well, not sure if you need to do that but wanted to anyway. I did not replace the media hub and Android Auto works fine using the USB next to the gear shift. I believe if you want to use CarPlay you need to replace the hub, if not Android Auto should work.

We've been using it since Thursday and it's working great.
Dis you have dual climate control on your 2015? Also what speaker system do you have in your Cherokee? My poxi alignment kept failing at

Entertainment Telematic Module (LTM/ETM/HTM). The ECU has detected that the request contains parameters with values outside allowable range

The 2019 Cherokee i got the 4c out of had a premium alpine base system and im not sure if thats the issue with my speakers not working with it since it's stock base.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all, I have also lurking here over the past few months and am getting close to taking the plunge. I recently purchased a 2017 Cherokee Limited and am thinking of switching out the 3rd generation 8.4 for the 4c with Nav. My current radio also has nav installed and i also have the heated seats and wheel. SO....after reading through this post numerous times and all the info it appears that all i have to do is swap out the head units, and then get the proxy alignment done at my local dealer? From what i have read it appears that Android Auto would work fine with my existing hub, so i wouldnt have to replace that, correct? I do not have an Apple phone so i am not worried about carplay at this time. I am looking to buy a head unit from the LKQ website with nav for $650. Will purchasing this provide me with the "unlock code" that you guys have spoken of? I am assuming the proxy would do the rest. Also, it appears from what I've read that I will not have to do anything with the HVAC, correct? Thanks always for all the help!

21 - 40 of 75 Posts