2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been heavily researching the new radios and what would be needed to upgrade our 2014-2018 jeep Cherokees. So obviously first things first is the actual new radio. I've already found some online from salvage sites ranging from $400-$750 8.4 uconnect radio. The ones closer to $750 all comes with factory nav. While the ones $400 or closer seems to be a range from the smaller uconnect radio *not sure what size it is 7inches maybe??" And comes without factory nav.

After you receive your new head unit of course you'll need the anti-theft code that it will probably ask for so make sure you have the VIN number of the vehicle that the 4C radio came out of. There's plenty for sites that charge a low fee to obtain the code or just bring it to your local dealer for the highway robbery price they charge for that info.
One thing you will have to do is visit the dealership for a proxi alignment so that your ODO will stop flashing and the radio recognizes and plays nice with the jeep. That cost me $115 when I went from the 5" uconnect to my 8.4 RA4 radio upgrade that I did 2 years ago

FOR CAR PLAY AND ANDROID AUTO USERS:
You'll need the new media hub from a 2019 vehicle for Android auto and car play to work because the previous models from 2014-2018 will not work. I'm still working on obtaining how to get a new media hub that will actually fit our existing vehicles seeing as the new 2019 ones comes with a slightly different style layout. I saw that infotainment site sells their UAQ radio with a new retrofit media hub for the 2014-2018kls but they do not sell it separately. I'm still trying to obtain information on whether they will even attempt to sell the new hub separately to customers.

Overall let's say you went this route to get Android auto/car play. In total it would probably cost you $400-500 bucks once everything is said and done if you sell your old uconnect radio to lower the cost. Without selling your old radio it'll probably run you 650-900.

Seeing as the bootleg 3rd party versions run closers to the price if you sell your old radio. Why not just do the stock way and get the actual uconnect 4c radio from the get go?

Expected issues with the upgrade:
Uconnect service will not work so say goodbye to your remote controls from your phone and the uconnect $99? A year service that in my opinion isn't worth it but then again I've never had it so I can't really weigh in much on it.

Potential expected problems:
No more OTA updates, so we'll have to wait for the manual software to be uploaded and update through USB

For those with heated seats and steering wheel like me, other FCA vehicles like the Grand Cherokees lost the option to enable heated seats even after doing a proxi alignment and while the option is available to select on the radio, when you tap it, it just doesn't work/enable the heated seats. Not certain if that will happen with ours but I doubt it based on some other research I've done but I'm not ruling it out until I actually do the upgrade.
Stay tuned, I'll be working on getting this into my 2014 kl sport within the next few weeks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just replaced the Uconnect RA4 in my 2015 with the Uconnect 4. I ended up getting a whole center console for $100 which included all the components on it. The only issue I am having is the heated steering/seats being grayed out on the screen, I am taking it for a proxy alignment next weekend and hoping this fixes the issue. Have you made any progress?

Here is a pic of my installation: https://imgur.com/gallery/uUdfXb8

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have just replaced the Uconnect RA4 in my 2015 with the Uconnect 4. I ended up getting a whole center console for $100 which included all the components on it. The only issue I am having is the heated steering/seats being grayed out on the screen, I am taking it for a proxy alignment next weekend and hoping this fixes the issue. Have you made any progress?

Here is a pic of my installation: https://imgur.com/gallery/uUdfXb8
That looks awesome, I had to put this on hold for a while due to some other reasons that's came up in life. I still plan on doing it this summer. Question, did you get Android auto/carplay working and if so how did you replace the USB hub?

Yeah the alignment should fix the heated seats and steering wheel

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What's a Proxy Alignment?
It's when you gotta take the vehicle to the dealership so that they can configure the radio to your vehicle specific settings and capability.

Like for example the car he took the radio out of probably didn't have heated seats and steering wheel which is why he can't turn it on his even though his jeep has that capability. The radio was configured to the original car so it's not gonna give him the option to turn those features on because the original never had it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Just surfing... WHY??????

Is it really worth all of this?

Go Jeep!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just surfing... WHY??????

Is it really worth all of this?

Go Jeep!!!
Mostly for updated gps maps. My maps are from 2013 I think? And it's still slightly good but I'd prefer newer. I can play FCA crazy price for maps update or I can spend just a little bit more in the end for Android auto that will have updated and better maps

Reactions: mb1k

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks awesome, I had to put this on hold for a while due to some other reasons that's came up in life. I still plan on doing it this summer. Question, did you get Android auto/carplay working and if so how did you replace the USB hub?

Yeah the alignment should fix the heated seats and steering wheel

Regarding the USB hub. I was looking and looking and finally found a whole floor center console for $100 which had the USB hub and what not included (the hub alone was $200 elsewhere). I ended up swapping the top bezel that's around the shifter, it popped right in place on the existing console. The hub itself was a direct swap with existing harnesses, carplay works fantastic. I purchased a OBDLink MX and was able to get a copy of AlfaOBD, should be here tomorrow according to Amazon, I will then be performing the PROXI alignment myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Like for example the car he took the radio out of probably didn't have heated seats and steering wheel which is why he can't turn it on his even though his jeep has that capability. The radio was configured to the original car so it's not gonna give him the option to turn those features on because the original never had it.
If your heated seats still doesn't work you have to buy new Control Module 68370299AB. in the near future I'll try to do upgrade Uconnect to 4c generation with Android Auto - I'll let you know what is the result :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally, today I upgraded from Uconnect 8 "third generation to Uconnect 4c. I have a version with Nav and heated and ventilated seats, but I did not have to replace the HVAC module, also Android Auto works well without replacing USB. I had only one problem: after the radio was changed there wasn't sound, the camera did not work etc. I did the proxy allocation but to no avail, finally helps more time - the Jeep needs to go to sleep mode (more than a few minutes) after that everything works fine.

Here you have some pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally, today I upgraded from Uconnect 8 "third generation to Uconnect 4c. I have a version with Nav and heated and ventilated seats, but I did not have to replace the HVAC module, also Android Auto works well without replacing USB. I had only one problem: after the radio was changed there wasn't sound, the camera did not work etc. I did the proxy allocation but to no avail, finally helps more time - the Jeep needs to go to sleep mode (more than a few minutes) after that everything works fine.

Here you have some pictures:
You were able to use Android auto with the stock USB hubs? Does both of them work or you have to use the one next to media outlet? Also what year is your Jeep?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
You were able to use Android auto with the stock USB hubs? Does both of them work or you have to use the one next to media outlet? Also what year is your Jeep?

I'm using a stock hub USB -this one next to the gear shifter. Year - end of 2014 -MY15.
I have to admit that Uconnect 4c is much better than previous generation. It's faster with much better display and of course Android auto :smile:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I noticed a one problem - very low signal from antenna FM. I can find only one - two radio stations. The rest works fine. Does anyone heard of such a problem? I checked connection and it looks fine.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I noticed a one problem - very low signal from antenna FM. I can find only one - two radio stations. The rest works fine. Does anyone heard of such a problem? I checked connection and it looks fine.
I'm trying to find a headunit that came stock with factory nav so it's awaiting game for me. When you obtained your radio did you need the anti theft code or no? And how much in tools does it take to do your own proxy alignment vs. going to the dealership.

The low fm signal wouldn't stray me away cause I mostly listen to Sirius XM or stream through my phone.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I believe Alphaodb software does proxi alignment, so you'll need that plus a quality odbii dongle. Don't buy a cheaper elm off fleabay.

2015 Limited diesel Australia

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm trying to find a headunit that came stock with factory nav so it's awaiting game for me. When you obtained your radio did you need the anti theft code or no? And how much in tools does it take to do your own proxy alignment vs. going to the dealership.

The low fm signal wouldn't stray me away cause I mostly listen to Sirius XM or stream through my phone.

I bought new radio with newstes software IR 22.5 so I didn't need to enter anti theft code. If you buy used radio - probalby will you need to enter this code.

Reagarding to the proxy alignment - I went to the dealer. The cost was arround 40 USD (in Poland) so it's cheaper than buy connector and AlfaOBD.

BTW: Any idea why I have low FM antenna signal ?:frown:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bought new radio with newstes software IR 22.5 so I didn't need to enter anti theft code. If you buy used radio - probalby will you need to enter this code.

Reagarding to the proxy alignment - I went to the dealer. The cost was arround 40 USD (in Poland) so it's cheaper than buy connector and AlfaOBD.

BTW: Any idea why I have low FM antenna signal ?:frown:
Where and how much did you pay for it? Honestly have no idea, I would probably factory reset the radio through the dealer menu and let the Jeep redo all the learning stuff about it and then play around with the audio settings. Your antenna is good too right? I had to replace mine a few months back. I have unlimited car wash and I think that's where my snapped on top but was still hanging. I had poor antenna range with it for XM and FM but barely noticed it cause I mostly stream from my phone and connect via Bluetooth.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts