2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
You have to remember that they start work on a new vehicle 5-10 years before it goes on sale. So for Jeep think perhaps around 2008 or earlier they started working on it. 4G didn't come out really until 2012.
Actually, 4G is barely deployed today. Most people get 4G LTE, which is somewhere between 3G and true 4G.

T-Mobile put up a true 4G tower near my home in AZ. I can get 100Mbs consistently - but only in one small spot in my front yard! I need a T-Mobile booster to get 4G-anything in my back yard. 5G is far worse in terms of spotty coverage and has a LONG way to go to be useful, IMO.

On a cross-country trip this year we saw just how spotty T-Mobile's "nationwide coverage" is. It largely depends on the capabilities of your particular phone. My wife's phone doesn't support the 600mhz band, but that's the technology in many of the new rural antennas T-Mobile is using.

5G is going to be similar. The Big Three are all using mmwave 5G bands but few devices can use it. Worse yet, the higher the frequency the spottier the coverage. I suspect that for quite some time in the future 5G data rates are going to vary a lot as one travels with frequent drop-back to 4G (or 4G LTE) speeds.

I wish cell phone companies would try to get the current technology somewhat perfected before moving on to the next. I suppose that's just modern life.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,504 Posts
I miss the always on signal of my old Analog Motorola StarTac (esp with the 3 watt car kit!), I could be in the middle of nowhere and still have full signal. A held on to that service until the bitter end!

I do have a 5G Samsung on T-Mobile, but I live in MidTown Atlanta, where there are micro 5G antennas at every intersection and more around high rises, so my 5G experience is a lot different.

On the conversion to 5G, it is actually the government driving it, as they are starting to limit/claw back spectrum, limiting how the providers can grow, so they can either keep 3G and have limited growth potential (as well as stagnant capacity, even as usage grows), or move up to 5G which offers denser packets. In the early days, spectrum was cheap and easy to come by, now it is more expensive and still everyone wants as much as they can get.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You have to remember that they start work on a new vehicle 5-10 years before it goes on sale. So for Jeep think perhaps around 2008 or earlier they started working on it. 4G didn't come out really until 2012.
And production wise the proto types would have been running around a chunk before them, as the first customer production models started production in 2013. And it takes time to designe test and debug new computer systems, which is basicly what modern Uconnect is in essence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. It appears to be 3G. I don’t know what functions use 3G on this car. I am guessing the map updates will no longer work after January 1, 2022 and probably the 911 button on the rear view mirror will not work. What other functions will disappear? I would hope that we get a letter or email explaining this before then. I would think they would have some liability if we tried to use 911 in an emergency and it didn’t work!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. It appears to be 3G. I don’t know what functions use 3G on this car. I am guessing the map updates will no longer work after January 1, 2022 and probably the 911 button on the rear view mirror will not work. What other functions will disappear? I would hope that we get a letter or email explaining this before then. I would think they would have some liability if we tried to use 911 in an emergency and it didn’t work!
The ONLY thing you will lose are the uConnect Subscription services (like the 911 button), this does NOT affect Sirius XM/Traffic Services, Navigation (map updates), or the like...
And since your phone connects via bluetooth, it will still connect (even if the phone is 5G) :cool:

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,491 Posts
Hello everyone,

We understand the concerns you might have regarding the 3G capabilities associated with your vehicle. As @Droopee stated, customers with Uconnect Access will have the option to purchase a "dongle" providing connection to the 4G wireless platform, since 3G wireless is set to be eliminated by 12/31/2021. The dongle will allow customers to continue using their Uconnect Access connected services and WiFi hotspot. Depending on the vehicle, you will plug this dongle into a port underneath the steering wheel column, or in the general area underneath that space.

If you're interesting in purchasing a dongle, you can currently purchase one from Uconnect Access-- which is now being hosted by T-Mobile, formerly hosted by Sprint. The following subscriptions are available for purchase:
  • Limited WiFi - $9.99/month
  • Unlimited WiFi - $29.99/month
Additional pricing information, specific instructions on how to plug in the dongle, and a photo of the dongle are forthcoming. If you have any questions and prefer to speak to a customer representative directly, you may call Uconnect Access direct at 855-792-4241. Otherwise, feel free to send us a direct message. I hope this helps provide some clarification!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone,

We understand the concerns you might have regarding the 3G capabilities associated with your vehicle. As @Droopee stated, customers with Uconnect Access will have the option to purchase a "dongle" providing connection to the 4G wireless platform, since 3G wireless is set to be eliminated by 12/31/2021. The dongle will allow customers to continue using their Uconnect Access connected services and WiFi hotspot. Depending on the vehicle, you will plug this dongle into a port underneath the steering wheel column, or in the general area underneath that space.

If you're interesting in purchasing a dongle, you can currently purchase one from Uconnect Access-- which is now being hosted by T-Mobile, formerly hosted by Sprint. The following subscriptions are available for purchase:
  • Limited WiFi - $9.99/month
  • Unlimited WiFi - $29.99/month
Additional pricing information, specific instructions on how to plug in the dongle, and a photo of the dongle are forthcoming. If you have any questions and prefer to speak to a customer representative directly, you may call Uconnect Access direct at 855-792-4241. Otherwise, feel free to send us a direct message. I hope this helps provide some clarification!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
But the T-Mobile page states that the dongle is NOT compatable with the Cherokee. The only Jeep it shows compatability with is the Grand Cherokee, so is there going to be an updated dongle, or what is our option as Cherokee owners?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
T-Mobile (like all carriers) can be really bad/slow about keeping compatibility updated, I would trust that all Jeeps that have the service should be able to use the same dongle...
You could always get one, perhaps with the understanding that you could return/cancel if it doesn't work...:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
T-Mobile (like all carriers) can be really bad/slow about keeping compatibility updated, I would trust that all Jeeps that have the service should be able to use the same dongle...
You could always get one, perhaps with the understanding that you could return/cancel if it doesn't work...:cool:
I agree that it may not be updated, but I have been reading on other forums about this issue as well, and here is a link to another forum where uConnect supposidly told this user that it does not work for the Cherokee.....https://www.jeepgarage.org/threads/has-anybody-installed-the-4g-adaptor-for-the-uconnect-system.228299/post-2021299905 (If linking to other forums is not allowed, I appologize.)

I wonder if this has something to do with how locked down the software for the Cherokee is....

FWIW, it seems to me like the dongle is actually just a wifi dongle, and the uConnect system requires a system update that I would assume allows it to connect to a wifi network to communicate. The SSID being broadcast by the dongle is uconnectadpt, and the password is uconnectXXXX where the X's represent the last 4 digits of your uConnect's IMEI number. The settings within the dongle seem to be disabled and you can't change the SSID or password....This makes me wonder if they are hardcoding the uConnect system to be able to connect to WiFi, but they are restricting it to ONLY be able to connect to the SSID uconnectadpt with the associated password....I would be interested to see that once the uConnect update has been done, you could create a hotspot broadcasting the associated SSID and password and have uConnect connect to that hotspot as opposed to using the T-Mobile adapter....

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I would be interested to see that once the uConnect update has been done, you could create a hotspot broadcasting the associated SSID and password and have uConnect connect to that hotspot as opposed to using the T-Mobile adapter....
This is a simple answer, uConnect acts as the 'router' for the hotspot traffic, so it has to have 'hardwired' (think of a LAN cable) internal network access (either by its internal 3G, or the dongle) to route from. One of the specific reasons for the 'hardwired' access is for the car to have constant cellular communications regardless of the presence of someone's phone or even if the car is off and unoccupied. --It's like the cable modem or fiber jack in your house... :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a simple answer, uConnect acts as the 'router' for the hotspot traffic, so it has to have 'hardwired' (think of a LAN cable) internal network access (either by its internal 3G, or the dongle) to route from. One of the specific reasons for the 'hardwired' access is for the car to have constant cellular communications regardless of the presence of someone's phone or even if the car is off and unoccupied. --It's like the cable modem or fiber jack in your house... :cool:
Right, I understand all that, but if you could connect to ANY hotspot as long as the SSID and credentials were correct, it could possibly open users up to the possibility of using a mobile hotspot from any service provider such as Verizon or AT&T as opposed to just T-Mobile....Of course, I assume there is some backend account wizardry on the uConnect side that requires the communication to be from a T-Mobile IP and some other security rules, etc, etc....But it would be nice if you could connect to a more reliable nationwide network....Just fantasizing here :p

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I get where you're going, but as an IT SME, the uConnect radio is broadcasting the SSID info, not the dongle or hardwired 'SIM'. So what would be needed is for Stellantis/FCA to engage with multiple cellular companies to create dongles for this to work (or perhaps a dongle that accepts a SIM, just like an unbound phone), the other piece that the car provides is an external antenna for whatever network it is attached to.
As far as the wifi hotspot is concerned, without an internet connection to an outside network, you 'could' still have the hotspot but it would be a LAN (local area network) but "without internet access"

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
So, does that mean we must have the dongle to receive OTA updates??? Said Analog Scott...😎

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So, does that mean we must have the dongle to receive OTA updates??? Said Analog Scott...😎
On the uConnect, I honestly don't know if it is delivered via cellular or the SXM antennas, just hadn't dug into to it. If it is the cellular, that could be a reason that a specific carrier needs to be selected, as they probably need to be delivered whether or not you have the subscription or not.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
On the uConnect, I honestly don't know if it is delivered via cellular or the SXM antennas, just hadn't dug into to it. If it is the cellular, that could be a reason that a specific carrier needs to be selected, as they probably need to be delivered whether or not you have the subscription or not.
Ah ha, that makes perfect sense. You have to pay for the subscription to get your updates. Those sneaky bastards!!! They probably planned that years ago...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I tried to renew the UConnect app (door locking/unlocking, car start,etc. from my phone) I was told it would no longer work. That has nothing to do with the 3g wifi hotspot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This would ****ing suck, I love these features and use them regularly. Maybe this would be the drop that makes me get an aftermarket head unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My trial for the U connect services ended so I contacted them to see about renewing because I actually did like having access to the onboard systems through the app and I was told that as of January 2022 will no longer be allowing access via 3G vehicles meaning the 2016 Cherokee than any other jeep or Mopar vehicles that carry the 3G access anybody else kind of bummed out by this?
I am very ticked off about this... I have talked to my dealer and the district manager in SC and they said dont plan on fixing it..If enough people complain hopefully FCAUS will do something..I started a petition on change.org about jeep and 3g not being any good on 1/1/22.. I am with you this stinks!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Federal Government (FCC) has mandated that the 3G Networks be taken down in 2022.

The 3G equipped vehicles with Uconnect Access will not have remote app functionality or 911/SOS functions after that date. The Sprint Sierra modem installed in vehicles with Uconnect Access will be incapable of receiving signals when the 3G is taken down.

The 3G was the cellular part of the service that made the Uconnect Access functions work as well as the hotspot, it has nothing to do with Satellite Radio, navigation or traffic service.

The 4G hardware dongle that Tmobile is promoting makes the Uconnect service compatible with T-Mobile 4G network and will allow it to continue to work as a work around, as well as add the option for a hotspot.

However it is not compatible with the Cherokee according to Tmobile.

My advise is if you want remote functionality after 1/1/2022 is to go have a Jeep Cherokee specific Compustar Remote Start CAN-BUS interface installed along with Drone Mobile. Drone Mobile and the Remote Start from Compustar give you the ability to remote start, lock, unlock, etc just like Uconnect Access, it also can tell you everywhere you have driven, help you to track a stolen vehicle, keeps tabs on if the vehicle is locked or not, tracks your next maintenance, etc.

It doesn't display a vehicle health report, gas level or oil life, but it does monitor the battery, it operates on LTE (AT&T)

I have it on my Mazda and unlike Uconnect Access or SirisuXM Guardian, the commands are instant and work every time, its less than $8 a month for the service with GPS if you sign up for 3 years. The system is $500 or so installed and worth every penny. It activated in seconds and interfaces with your vehicle with 0 wire splicing.

Honestly I'm contemplating having it installed in my Gladiator when the SiriusXM Guardian trial is up, because it works so much more consistently and quickly than SXMG.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts