2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 high altitude
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trial for the U connect services ended so I contacted them to see about renewing because I actually did like having access to the onboard systems through the app and I was told that as of January 2022 will no longer be allowing access via 3G vehicles meaning the 2016 Cherokee than any other jeep or Mopar vehicles that carry the 3G access anybody else kind of bummed out by this?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
I have a 2014 TH. That probably means the SOS button on the mirror will no longer work.
Got a notice from my cell phone provider that my phone was not compatible with LTE and 5G.
Rather than buy a new phone I could buy a SIM card for 99 cents and upgrade my current phone.
If the "phone" in the Jeep has a SIM card then maybe this would be an option.
Certainly better than buying a new Uconnect head unit.
Maybe Uconnect can provide a SIM card?

·
Registered
2016 high altitude
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2014 TH. That probably means the SOS button on the mirror will no longer work.
Got a notice from my cell phone provider that my phone was not compatible with LTE and 5G.
Rather than buy a new phone I could buy a SIM card for 99 cents and upgrade my current phone.
If the "phone" in the Jeep has a SIM card then maybe this would be an option.
Certainly better than buying a new Uconnect head unit.
Maybe Uconnect can provide a SIM card?
@JeepCares any information

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think a sim card upgrades your phone itself. For LTE/5g, your phone would have to already have the built-in radio that accesses those frequencies. A sim card has nothing to do with that. A sim card change would allow you access to a different network, that possibly uses the older technology.
So I don't think a sim card change, if our jeeps have one, would do any good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The way I understood it, it's only the 3G hotspot feature that won't work anymore.

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
3G is going away nation wide in the USA. It is a requirement being forced by the FCC, the government agency that regulates communications. So almost anything that uses 3G will stop working because there will be no more cell towers that use 3G. To get 4G or 5G you need a radio/antenna that can send over the proper frequencies. Basically every phone/car made today that has cellular service supports 4G. Some support 5G as well. This is out of Jeep's control.

You cannot upgrade your 3G to 4G without also upgrading the stereo system for lots of money, and based on the forum posts of that, your mileage may vary on how successful you are.

Reactions: sanghill

·
Registered
407 Posts
When I tried to renew the UConnect app (door locking/unlocking, car start,etc. from my phone) I was told it would no longer work. That has nothing to do with the 3g wifi hotspot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Understood. I'm just relaying what I saw in another article that was related to this post. I've not seen any messaging from Uconnect around the Advantage Plan, which I am also subscribed to, so I don't have any direct experience.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
4g/LTE was in widespread use when they built the KL's. Jeep, being Jeep, probably saved a couple of bucks using the old technology.

Sent using Tapatalk
Agreed, but what model year did they start 5G compatibility??? Are the 2020-2021's??? I know my 2019 apparently is not...😎

·
Registered
2016 high altitude
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was explained to me I will lose all Uconnect functions as of 01/01/2022. I can pay $15 a mo until then, I’ll pass very frustrating as I used the app functions often.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Agreed, but what model year did they start 5G compatibility??? Are the 2020-2021's??? I know my 2019 apparently is not...😎
I don't know if any auto manufacturer is currently enabling 5G capabilities on their vehicles and really, I don't see any need for them to do so at this point.

5G service has a long way to go before it can possibly replace 4G. The big advantage to 5G is the dramatically increased speed it provides. The big downside to it is its limited coverage range. It is estimated that a carrier will need 400 times more towers than are currently deployed to provide the same coverage we get from 4G right now.

So yeah, 5G is the future, but there is a lot of money to invest and infrastructure that needs to be built before 4G goes to the wayside like 3G is now. Quite frankly, I think the two of us will be pushing up daisy's, or weeds in our cases, before 4G is officially retired. :D

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I don't know if any auto manufacturer is currently enabling 5G capabilities on their vehicles and really, I don't see any need for them to do so at this point.

5G service has a long way to go before it can possibly replace 4G. The big advantage to 5G is the dramatically increased speed it provides. The big downside to it is its limited coverage range. It is estimated that a carrier will need 400 times more towers than are currently deployed to provide the same coverage we get from 4G right now.

So yeah, 5G is the future, but there is a lot of money to invest and infrastructure that needs to be built before 4G goes to the wayside like 3G is now. Quite frankly, I think the two of us will be pushing up daisy's, or weeds in our cases, before 4G is officially retired. :D
So what are the 2019+, 3G or 4G???😎

·
Registered
803 Posts
So what are the 2019+, 3G or 4G???😎
From Jeep...

Does my vehicle have 4G Wi-Fi capability?

Tap the Apps icon on your Uconnect® touchscreen and look for the Wi-Fi Hotspot button to know if your vehicle is capable. 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot capability was introduced on select 2018 model year vehicles equipped with the Uconnect 4C and 4C NAV systems.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
4g/LTE was in widespread use when they built the KL's. Jeep, being Jeep, probably saved a couple of bucks using the old technology.

Sent using Tapatalk
You have to remember that they start work on a new vehicle 5-10 years before it goes on sale. So for Jeep think perhaps around 2008 or earlier they started working on it. 4G didn't come out really until 2012.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Thanks...I haven't even used any of that stuff, even before the free trials expired except Sirius XM, so I guess it really doesn't apply to me anyway. I'm not that high tech...Just call me Analog Scott!!! LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,504 Posts
And 5G is out on the uConnect 5 - currently just a few Jeeps have it, like the '22 Grand Wagoneer

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, there is a way to make this work, just not in our Cherokees....Imagine that. Uconnect is offering these devices free T-Mobile 4G Adapter which plug into your ODB port and allows 4G service for uconnect. You do have to pay a monthly fee to access TMobile's network though

.....HOWEVER.....it is only compatable with the following vehicles:

• 2013-2016 Dodge Viper SRT
  • 2013-2017 Ram 2500/3500
  • 2014-2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • 2015-2016 Chrysler 300
  • 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger
  • 2017 Chrysler Town & Country
  • 2013-2017 Ram 1500
  • 2013-2017 Ram Chassis Cab
  • 2014-2017 Dodge Durango
  • 2015-2016 Dodge Charger
  • 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
I would HOPE that there will be something similar available for our Cherokees in the near future....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts