2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
I have also seen the Maxxis RAZR AT and have them on my list as a possible candidate, what is their weight like compared to the KO2s?
Hmmm. On their site, they list weight, but I don't see anything in 255 width, for 17''s :

Registered
Actually, with the Maxxis, you would actually run the 265/65, as they are not available in a 245/70, but they would be almost exactly the same as a 245/70 once mounted up, and should fit without issues. 30.7" compared to the Toyo 245/70 at 30.6", both 37lbs...馃槑
Yep I forgot to say they didn't show 245/70 either. Good if the 265/65s are a straight fit...

Registered
Tha

Thanks for that, I went to see a tyre shop today and they advised the following.

If I go 245/70/17 I would get roughly a 1 inch lift over what i have now this is with the wildpeak at3.
If I go 255/65/17 I would get roughly a 0.6 inc lift and more width

The guy seemed to know what he was talking about and said he fits these tyres all the time. Do you guys think what he said is right on the lift between these two sizes?
They got it slightly wrong. The 245/70 is one inch taller than stock (total diameter), and the 255/65 is 0.6'' taller than stock, but... lift increase goes with the radius, not diameter, so 0.5'' lift for the 245/70 and 0.3'' for the 255/65.
Just think of it this way : a wheel attaches to the vehicle at its center point (the hub) ; when you increase tire diameter by one inch, you are adding 0.5'' below center and 0.5'' above center, and... vehicle lift = radius number (ground to center of wheel).
Make sense ?

Registered
And which size would you get if your not going in snow. I know you have 245/70 but would the extra with aid with more traction overall?
I'll just jump in and let Scott answer when he stops by. For snow, it depends... If you want to hit some unplowed roads or trails that have deep snow, wider is better. But for regular snow covered on-road driving, narrower is better in snow, the tire can more easily dig down to the solid surface for traction.
If you plan on driving on sand, then wider is better, although... there is something to be said about a taller sidewall, for sand. Taller sidewall (like the 245/70 has over the 255/65) means you can air down more and get a longer contact patch. To be honest though, those two tire sizes might be close to equal in sand, because of their dimension pros and cons.

Registered
Thanks for the advise, but if I never go in snow which size would you recommend is better?
Again, there are a bunch of options, all come with compromises. For example, I have 5 months of winter here, not that much snowfall but enough, and a lot of icy roads. I have dedicated snow/ice tires, in stock size (225/65/17). I don't off-road, don't hit unplowed trails, so I don't need flotation on snow at all. 225 is the narrowest acceptable on the non TH Cherokee, I would not go wider, for winter.
Your case is much different : no snow where you live, but snow in higher elevation where you might want to go skiing, correct ? That's a difficult situation because of the small amount of time spent driving in winter conditions. Can't really justify getting snow tires and your regular road (all season) tires aren't really designed for snow and ice, so... if you decide to install A/T tires, those would provide better snow traction than your road tires, for sure, but wouldn't really be better on icy roads.
But if you spend weeks in snowy areas, then... you could consider an extra set of wheels with winter-friendly tires.. On a TH, you could install 235/65 or stock 245/65 (17) size, for winter tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts