2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

Registered
2022 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2022 Trailhawk brand new and I'm in Australia the only sell the car here with normal road tyres no A/T.

Anyway I ordered and purchased the HS 2inch lift which I just installed and now I want to upgrade my tyres. With the tyres I wanted to key some BF goodrich K02 in the size of
255/70/R17 does any one have this size and do they fit with out any modifications to the wheel wall??
Here is a photo of mine lifted with the road tyres it comes with.
Thanks and if anyone has any photo of their cards with this tyre combo I would love to see the pics.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Hi All,

I have a 2022 Trailhawk brand new and I'm in Australia the only sell the car here with normal road tyres no A/T.

Anyway I ordered and purchased the HS 2inch lift which I just installed and now I want to upgrade my tyres. With the tyres I wanted to key some BF goodrich K02 in the size of
255/70/R17 does any one have this size and do they fit with out any modifications to the wheel wall??
Here is a photo of mine lifted with the road tyres it comes with.
Thanks and if anyone has any photo of their cards with this tyre combo I would love to see the pics. View attachment 220239
Welcome from Utah, USA!!! 245/70/17 is the largest tire you can fit without trimming the lower front wheel well area. KO2's are a great tire, but they are very heavy at 50lbs each since they are an LT rated tire. I personally run the Toyo A/T III's that I've found are very comparable, but much lighter at 37lbs. Another popular tire down here are the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Search around the forum and you'll find many lift and tire threads...馃槑

Reactions: Mark_

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Welcome from Utah, USA!!! 245/70/17 is the largest tire you can fit without trimming the lower front wheel well area. KO2's are a great tire, but they are very heavy at 50lbs each since they are an LT rated tire. I personally run the Toyo A/T III's that I've found are very comparable, but much lighter at 37lbs. Another popular tire down here are the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Search around the forum and you'll find many lift and tire threads...馃槑
Thanks good to be here, I have done a lot of search son here but cannot really find many running the tyre size of 255/70/R17, also there a many conflicted reports of people stating they can fit bigger sized tyres with out mods while others state the same size requires a mod, thus would be good to hear what people are running and if they carried out any mods to their car to achieve that sized tyre. Also how do you rate the Toyo A/T III's? and do you this the KO2 are too heavy for a TH?

Registered
cannot really find many running the tyre size of 255/70/R17
That's because it's not a very common, or manufactured size in the A/T category...馃槑

Also how do you rate the Toyo A/T III's? and do you this the KO2 are too heavy for a TH?
I rate them excellent. Very tough and capable, but also very street friendly, and their 60,000 mile warranty isn't bad either. Another tire that has peaked my attention are the Maxxis RAZR AT. Seeing some great reviews on them as well, and they will probably be replacing the KM3's currently on my Can Am X3 XRC when the time comes...馃槑

Registered
Falken...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's because it's not a very common, or manufactured size in the A/T category...馃槑

I rate them excellent. Very tough and capable, but also very street friendly, and their 60,000 mile warranty isn't bad either. Another tire that has peaked my attention are the Maxxis RAZR AT. Seeing some great reviews on them as well, and they will probably be replacing the KM3's currently on my Can Am X3 XRC when the time comes...馃槑
I have also seen the Maxxis RAZR AT and have them on my list as a possible candidate, what is their weight like compared to the KO2s?

Registered
I have also seen the Maxxis RAZR AT and have them on my list as a possible candidate, what is their weight like compared to the KO2s?
Hmmm. On their site, they list weight, but I don't see anything in 255 width, for 17''s :

Registered
Same as the Toyo鈥榮, Falkens, and most other non LT rated, all around 37lbs in 245/70/17's. @Mark_ they are not available in 255's, in fact they are pretty limited in smaller sizes all together...馃槑

Registered
Actually, with the Maxxis, you would actually run the 265/65, as they are not available in a 245/70, but they would be almost exactly the same as a 245/70 once mounted up, and should fit without issues. 30.7" compared to the Toyo 245/70 at 30.6", both 37lbs...馃槑

Registered
Actually, with the Maxxis, you would actually run the 265/65, as they are not available in a 245/70, but they would be almost exactly the same as a 245/70 once mounted up, and should fit without issues. 30.7" compared to the Toyo 245/70 at 30.6", both 37lbs...馃槑
Yep I forgot to say they didn't show 245/70 either. Good if the 265/65s are a straight fit...

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
265/65 might work without modifications with the lift, and they also might rub just a touch. Its a close fit with the 19+. 245/70 do generally work though. I would say just bit the bullet and put what you want on though. I went with 265/70, and love them. Worth the effort of cutting, and its not that hard.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to you and everyone else here for all the great advise, what would you suggest be more beneficial for off-roading the 265/65 or the 245/70? would they both give the same amount off lift and if so how much 1inch?

Also what would everyone consider as the holy grail of A/T tyres for a TH these days?

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I'm mostly in mud and sand, so the wider tire will help keep you from sinking quite as much. For snow though, skinnier is better, that way you sink down into it. Wider also generally will impact mpg more, though it didn't make a big impact for me. It really just comes down to your driving conditions.

Registered
Thank you to you and everyone else here for all the great advise, what would you suggest be more beneficial for off-roading the 265/65 or the 245/70? would they both give the same amount off lift and if so how much 1inch?

Also what would everyone consider as the holy grail of A/T tyres for a TH these days?
There's only a tenth of an inch, or less than 3mm in the diameter height, so virtually zero ground clearance difference between the 245/70 and the 265/65. Any of those are top of the line AT's, and all excellent choices for the Trailhawk. I'm not sure where you are located down there, but my one trip down was to Queensland, and I would compare it to our Southwestern US as far as climate goes, pretty dry and dusty most of the time, and you don't have snow to worry about. Again, all great choices, and let us know what you go with, and do post pictures...馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There's only a tenth of an inch, or less than 3mm in the diameter height, so virtually zero ground clearance difference between the 245/70 and the 265/65. Any of those are top of the line AT's, and all excellent choices for the Trailhawk. I'm not sure where you are located down there, but my one trip down was to Queensland, and I would compare it to our Southwestern US as far as climate goes, pretty dry and dusty most of the time, and you don't have snow to worry about. Again, all great choices, and let us know what you go with, and do post pictures...馃槑
Thanks for the tip i'm located down in Sydney the climate is more wet and and colder, snow yes indeed but not where I live so wont really be an issue, I intend to do mostly beach and clay/rock trails Queensland many thousands of miles from me.

I will definitely post photos once I I choose and have the tires fitted. So hard to choose!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Same as the Toyo鈥榮, Falkens, and most other non LT rated, all around 37lbs in 245/70/17's. @Mark_ they are not available in 255's, in fact they are pretty limited in smaller sizes all together...馃槑
Also worth asking why do you feel the heaver LT tyres will not be good for these cars? gas mileage or extra strain on the drivetrain?

Registered
Also worth asking why do you feel the heaver LT tyres will not be good for these cars? gas mileage or extra strain on the drivetrain?
Both fuel mileage, and wear and tear on a somewhat delicate drivetrain to begin with. That's just my opinion. Better safe, than sorry. PTU's, axles, RDM's, suspension, and steering components ain't cheap nowadays...馃槈馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Both fuel mileage, and wear and tear on a somewhat delicate drivetrain to begin with. That's just my opinion. Better safe, than sorry. PTU's, axles, RDM's, suspension, and steering components ain't cheap nowadays...馃槈馃槑
Well noted, do you believe in your opinion 245/70 with some non LT tyres will hold up just fine for the long term?

Registered
Well noted, do you believe in your opinion 245/70 with some non LT tyres will hold up just fine for the long term?
Absolutely. Any quality A/T from the above mentioned will serve you just fine...LT (stands for Light Truck) rated tires are designed for trucks, and much heavier vehicles that haul, and or tow much heavier gross vehicle weights than our Cherokees...馃槑

1 - 20 of 62 Posts