2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am a complete layman when it comes to cars, but I recently (6 months ago) bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with about 93,000 miles on it and a Ignition Node Module system instead of a Push-to-Start system.

Recently I have been having trouble with my key fob and it going a bit haywire: sensitive touch, losing ability to unlock, and finally not working at all. I have since concluded that my key FOB has a dead battery. However, During the losing ability to unlock phase, my car also was not recognizing the key being in ignition and not turning on. At first it would just require a second crank, but now it is to the point where it won’t crank up at all.

Does anyone know if the key FOB battery being dead/haywire has anything to do with the car not wanting to start up, or are these two separate issues involving both the node and/or engine and the key FOB?

I should mention that the battery seems to work fine. I can turn on both the interior lights and the exterior lights even when the engine isn’t running.

I can upload a video tomorrow morning if that would help for visualization.

· Registered
13,207 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum ;)

Sorry to hear about the problem...

As far as I'm concerned, I have no experience with the key fob battery going dead (I have the same fob you have, no keyless). I can tell you that the vehicle battery has a short life and many here with 2014s have already replaced it. It depends mostly on where you live ; the warmer the climate, the shorter battery life is.

But anyway... I think the first thing you should try is replace the fob battery. Seems as though it needs a CR2032 button battery (those are sold everywhere), and here is a guide :
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Jeep-Cherokee-Key-Fob-Battery-Replacement-Guide/index.html

One more thing you can try, if you can : check the Jeep's battery's voltage at rest (engine not running) with a multimeter (directly on the battery posts). If it reads below 12V, chances are high your battery is going, almost gone... Being able to turn on interior lights and even headlights is not nessecarily a sign of a healthy battery... especially in these vehicles ; when batteries start to die, immediate and bizarre symptoms start to show up...

I don't suppose they gave you the second fob..? Anyway, try a new fob battery first. They are cheap (a few $). Try a discount store first, because places like Walmart ask too much for these button cells, so do drugstores usually. Buying online is best but you don't have that kind of time right now...

Let us know how it goes.

· Registered
25 Posts
Sounds like a dead FOB battery..i did read somewhere that if it won't start at all, you can touch the fob to the start button and it has RFID which does not require the fob battery

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

· Registered
13,207 Posts
Sounds like a dead FOB battery..i did read somewhere that if it won't start at all, you can touch the fob to the start button and it has RFID which does not require the fob battery
OP mentionned they don't have keyless (no Start button). But replacing the fob battery is the easiest and quickest first step in t-shooting this, keyless or no keyless.

· Premium Member
2,411 Posts
Welcome to JCC and one of the best things about this forum is the promptness of helpful responses.

I also have the "keyless" system, so I am of no help on this issue either...let us know what you find...

· Registered
3,354 Posts
Hey everyone,

I am a complete layman when it comes to cars, but I recently (6 months ago) bought a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude with about 93,000 miles on it and a Ignition Node Module system instead of a Push-to-Start system.

Recently I have been having trouble with my key fob and it going a bit haywire: sensitive touch, losing ability to unlock, and finally not working at all. I have since concluded that my key FOB has a dead battery. However, During the losing ability to unlock phase, my car also was not recognizing the key being in ignition and not turning on. At first it would just require a second crank, but now it is to the point where it won’t crank up at all.

Does anyone know if the key FOB battery being dead/haywire has anything to do with the car not wanting to start up, or are these two separate issues involving both the node and/or engine and the key FOB?

I should mention that the battery seems to work fine. I can turn on both the interior lights and the exterior lights even when the engine isn’t running.

If the key doesn't start the vehicle, there is something else wrong.

Even with a dead battery the key is supposed to start the vehicle, as the RFID chip in the key doesn't need any power from the key's battery to work.

We've had a few of these FOBIKs fail to remotely function on our Caravan, but they have never not started the van.

· Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

Did you ever figure out what it was my jeep Cherokee is currently doing the exact same thing

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the forum ;)

Sorry to hear about the problem...

As far as I'm concerned, I have no experience with the key fob battery going dead (I have the same fob you have, no keyless). I can tell you that the vehicle battery has a short life and many here with 2014s have already replaced it. It depends mostly on where you live ; the warmer the climate, the shorter battery life is.

But anyway... I think the first thing you should try is replace the fob battery. Seems as though it needs a CR2032 button battery (those are sold everywhere), and here is a guide :
Jeep Cherokee Key Fob Battery Replacement Guide - 2014 To 2018 Model Years - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance DIY Instructions

One more thing you can try, if you can : check the Jeep's battery's voltage at rest (engine not running) with a multimeter (directly on the battery posts). If it reads below 12V, chances are high your battery is going, almost gone... Being able to turn on interior lights and even headlights is not nessecarily a sign of a healthy battery... especially in these vehicles ; when batteries start to die, immediate and bizarre symptoms start to show up...

I don't suppose they gave you the second fob..? Anyway, try a new fob battery first. They are cheap (a few $). Try a discount store first, because places like Walmart ask too much for these button cells, so do drugstores usually. Buying online is best but you don't have that kind of time right now...

Let us know how it goes.
I replaced the battery and the ignition still only sometimes recognizes the key. (This is NOT a keyless jeep) what should I look at next?

· Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the battery and the ignition still only sometimes recognizes the key. (This is NOT a keyless jeep) what should I look at next?
Hey everyone,

Wow we have had nothing but problems with our 2014 Jeep Cherokee and a few weeks ago the Jeep said no key fob detected so Change the battery and then it still said the same thing so I took it to the dealership and they couldn’t program it so for $300 they gave me a new key fob. Drove home and went to use the other key fob and that one wasn’t working so I went back to the dealership yesterday and the dealership I was confused as neither of the key fobs or working yes the $300 one wasn’t working in the original one that I drove to the dealership with was not working and as of right now it is still at the dealership for them trying to figure it out

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,824 Posts
This problem is definitely not rocket science for them to figure out, it's either the transmitter (keys) or the receivers (RF control modules). There's a lack of communication going on. We never had this problem with the old metal keys, and tumbler type locks and ignitions did we???😎

· Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,591 Posts
We never had this problem with the old metal keys, and tumbler type locks and ignitions did we???
Nah, just the tumbler pins or the key wearing out...:ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,824 Posts
Nah, just the tumbler pins or the key wearing out...:ROFLMAO:
I don't know about that, I own a 1967 Ford Fairlane with the original ignition, and I've never had a problem with it for 42 years now...😎

Edit-
And door locks too...LOL!!!😎

· Registered
2 Posts
Did you ever figure out what it was my jeep Cherokee is currently doing the exact same thing
Did you ever find out? Our Cherokee is back in the shop and the new 300 fob doesn’t work either. We have had so many issues with this vehicle and usually we find a recall happens after the fact and fixes the issues/. The key fob thing is new and even the dealership can’t figure it out

· Registered
3 Posts
I am having the exact same problem.... new battery in the key fob, 1 year old car battery tested 12.5V. The curious part about it all is when I have the key fob away from the car for 24+ hours, I go out to the car and it will start. Was there something said about an RF signal? Or possibly a fob button is depressed in a pocket or purse, draining the battery faster than normal use?

· Registered
1 Posts
I am having the exact same problem.... new battery in the key fob, 1 year old car battery tested 12.5V. The curious part about it all is when I have the key fob away from the car for 24+ hours, I go out to the car and it will start. Was there something said about an RF signal? Or possibly a fob button is depressed in a pocket or purse, draining the battery faster than normal use?
My car is currently in the shop for this. They just called and it is most likely the wireless ignition control module. I guess they are known to have issues and can cause stalling along with not reading the key fob.

· Registered
1 Posts
Did you guys get it fixed? How much did it cost?
My husband key started doing the same thing. My key works fine. I tried exchanging the "shells" and cleaning the inside with no success. It is something with the electronic part of the key - not the car.

· Registered
6 Posts
Howdy all, I have a 2015 Jeep Cherokee Sport, basmodel, so I have inserted fobik key. About 3 years ago we had a random scare intermittencies where the radio would stay black but the car ran fine, which after overnight sit and restart was fine. Then 2 yrs ago both factory keys were lost, and purchased 2 new programed aftermarket fobiks from a locksmith, which worked fine for about a year maybe yr and a half. Roughly 6 months ago the most used fobik wouldn't wake the ignition system as if it wasn't in it at all, but could still lock n unlock. So, we used the backup which worked great for a few months. 2 months ago the 2nd stopped working on my husband at work, and had to tow the car home with no way to start it. I tried having locksmith reprogram the fobiks and he said there wasn't communication, however using a new fobik inserted, the ignition started dinging, tho it still wouldn't power anything by turning it. The old ones there's no ding, completely no communication. I've replaced the ignition node that the fobik goes in with oem new part, still no power on to be able to start. What should I look at next, radio,pcm, set it on fire? Lol ... I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to my enemy. Now paying monthly for an expensive paperweight.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts😁
Wow we have had nothing but problems with our 2014 Jeep Cherokee and a few weeks ago the Jeep said no key fob detected so Change the battery and then it still said the same thing so I took it to the dealership and they couldn’t program it so for $300 they gave me a new key fob. Drove home and went to use the other key fob and that one wasn’t working so I went back to the dealership yesterday and the dealership I was confused as neither of the key fobs or working yes the $300 one wasn’t working in the original one that I drove to the dealership with was not working and as of right now it is still at the dealership for them trying to figure it out

· Registered
4,626 Posts
Probably have to buy 2 new Mopar FOBs and let the Jeep dealer program them.
My estimate you are looking at more than $500.
Not sure which of the following FOBs work on your Cherokee: Search Results | Mopar Online Parts
Put in your VIN and you will find out for sure.
You can buy them for less online but you will have to wait for delivery.
While at the Jeep dealer have them run a VIP report and find out if their are any outstanding Recalls or applicable TSBs.
Check for CEL codes and history codes.

· Registered
6 Posts
I've looked up my vin on all government sites, and it's says that none apply to my car. When the locksmiths came they tried to program a new one and couldn't get the ignition module to communicate, I've since replaced the node and they tried again and still couldn't program a new fobik to my car... and they also flashed the known fobiks, so now the old ones can't even be used to lock and unlock it. I do have a new jeep mfg fobik, I'm going to try one more time to have it programmed. But now I'm worried it's gonna be pcm related, or something with the radio splicing into the ignition system. Which is aggregating that it's not a recall yet with how many I've seen with this issue.

Probably have to buy 2 new Mopar FOBs and let the Jeep dealer program them.
My estimate you are looking at more than $500.
Not sure which of the following FOBs work on your Cherokee: Search Results | Mopar Online Parts
Put in your VIN and you will find out for sure.
You can buy them for less online but you will have to wait for delivery.
While at the Jeep dealer have them run a VIP report and find out if their are any outstanding Recalls or applicable TSBs.
Check for CEL codes and history codes.

· Registered
13,207 Posts
A wild guess here: can you try getting a boost? Just in case the main battery is drained...and I mean the starting battery under the hood.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts