2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This wasn't a planned outing, so not egg throwing for not trying to get any other Cherokees out there to meet. Stumbled onto this area in the Land Between the Lakes park and it was a blast! http://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/seendo/trails/turkey-bay/

We pretty much stuck to the yellow (easier) trails since we were 1) newbies and 2) solo. Total blast, and I have new respect for the TH as a machine. Chunked it into 4Lo and didn't even bother with locker, even on steepest climbs. It climbed like a goat and powered through mud and over obstacles great. I came close to getting stuck once when I hit some mud that was deeper than I thought, but just turned steering a little and it climbed right out (Mrs War asserts I got a bit too close to a tree doing that; but no contact, so it doesn't count - right?). The area has great variety ranging from basically dirt road up to some serious obstacles and challenges. The hardest trails are a bit too narrow for a street vehicle; but there was more than enough to challenge all levels. The only (minor) drawback I found was the hood design. Going up a very steep hill, which had interim 'bumps' as you climbed made it difficult to see forward - as we went up over the bump, nothing but TH hood and blue sky, then back down and on up the trail. Next time some video!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The only (minor) drawback I found was the hood design. Going up a very steep hill, which had interim 'bumps' as you climbed made it difficult to see forward - as we went up over the bump, nothing but TH hood and blue sky
I don't buckle up when wheeling (I turned the seat belt alarm off) so I just stand on the left foot rest and look out the window

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't buckle up when wheeling (I turned the seat belt alarm off) so I just stand on the left foot rest and look out the window

Hmmm, I'm 6'2" with a lot of it in sitting height, so not much room left between my melon and the sun roof; but with that thing pointed 50+ degrees in the air, there was NO way to see over it, I was peeking out the window to keep reference on the one side. And, I def want to stay buckled - personal choice...

Reactions: sgrim and Xinarin13

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Hmmm, I'm 6'2" with a lot of it in sitting height, so not much room left between my melon and the sun roof; but with that thing pointed 50+ degrees in the air, there was NO way to see over it, I was peeking out the window to keep reference on the one side. And, I def want to stay buckled - personal choice...
I meant the side window... I leave it open and look out at my wheels to get placement right. Seat belts are meant for high speed collisions... but there is nothing wrong with being overly safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Reactions: sgrim

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant the side window... I leave it open and look out at my wheels to get placement right. Seat belts are meant for high speed collisions... but there is nothing wrong with being overly safe.
Yup - side window was what I was using; still a bit un-nerving for a relative newbie to that level of terrain and in a couple of spots tough as the trees were that close on either side -- parts were like bobsled chutes for jeeps. If you happen to look at the map from there with topo, we were on 8 -> E, 2 -> D, and 4 -> 5 all of which are pretty steep. Going up was def more challenging than down.

Gotta disagree with you on the later half. One it's inaccurate - they are also designed for roll-overs and any other less than 100 percent control situation, where keeping you body near control surfaces would be helpful and two, almost every OHV/ORV park requires they be worn. Anyway, as I said, personal choice if you unclick.

Reactions: Xinarin13

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
This wasn't a planned outing, so not egg throwing for not trying to get any other Cherokees out there to meet. Stumbled onto this area in the Land Between the Lakes park and it was a blast! http://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/seendo/trails/turkey-bay/

We pretty much stuck to the yellow (easier) trails since we were 1) newbies and 2) solo. Total blast, and I have new respect for the TH as a machine. Chunked it into 4Lo and didn't even bother with locker, even on steepest climbs. It climbed like a goat and powered through mud and over obstacles great. I came close to getting stuck once when I hit some mud that was deeper than I thought, but just turned steering a little and it climbed right out (Mrs War asserts I got a bit too close to a tree doing that; but no contact, so it doesn't count - right?). The area has great variety ranging from basically dirt road up to some serious obstacles and challenges. The hardest trails are a bit too narrow for a street vehicle; but there was more than enough to challenge all levels. The only (minor) drawback I found was the hood design. Going up a very steep hill, which had interim 'bumps' as you climbed made it difficult to see forward - as we went up over the bump, nothing but TH hood and blue sky, then back down and on up the trail. Next time some video!
Thanks for the tip. I am going there on Friday and camping overnight, Leaving Saturday.

Reactions: Warloq

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Looks like you had a lot of fun and the KL was great!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup - it rocked! @Mudman1 - only place to be real careful, esp if solo is up on the one end where the rockpiles are - if it rains the mud up there is a true pit (longer and deep than a KL) so it's either through that or over the rocks. I didn't try since I had limited recovery tools -- I think KL can do it, but it's def an area to approach eyes wide open. Will be interested to hear your feedback if you are able to really get out there.

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought the TH had terrain cameras?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Nope - just Mark I eyeball! The tech package parking sensors (which do help when close to trees/rocks) are about it in the automation arena. The front "eye" is useless in this scenario, and short of reversing through obstacles, there isn't any other OEM dashcam option... Although if there were, having a lens with the front "eye" would be awesome to help wheeling!
:grin:

@Mudman1 - did you get to wheel around at all? How's trip progress?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts