2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be traveling mid Jan from Miami to Pocatello, ID (round-trip) in my still stock 2020 v6 TH that I plan to Overland (w/small trailer) in a couple years. I did this trip a couple years ago in my Tesla Model 3 Standard Range+ (6,100 miles). I love all the tech in the KL for driving and the off-road chops which I haven't had a chance to do yet. Currently I commute 40 miles to/from work so I don't want to go to the aggressive off-road tire at this time, besides, still a lot of miles left on the Firestone Destinations, but still, one never knows.

I am planning on stopping at RRO in Heper City, UT to get.....
  1. Super Sliders
  2. I am considering the RRO hidden winch bumper w/winch, but I really dislike the sight of that big black box being so prominent. I was thinking of a 5,000 Lbs winch with a 4:1 pulley/block setup.
  3. Their modest, but drive train friendly, lift. Maybe. I am not fond of the bright yellow and blue color of the Dobson's struts/springs, but hard to beat the functionality.
They didn't have a mechanic to do the work last I talked to them, so they might have to arrange for another shop to do the work. Also, this will be a drive by install which I hope only takes 1 day to accomplish. At a KL shop their or along the way.

That's the plan so far. I am about to make the arrangements/purchases. I based my decisions based on various threads and @Snowhawk2015 well written postings. He has gone with "Dobinsons struts, use Dobinsons springs, with no offset".

Perhaps some other options are available, or a shop that is on the way that was worked with KL's could also be recommended.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
554 Posts
You don't have to mount the box up front. Look adult frog fab, then leave theirs behind the grill. Also, most go with the 8k from warn. If you go evo, the evo 8, 10, amd 12 are all the same size. Only weight is different.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maybe I'm just a pessimist, or I know ol' Mr. Murphy too well, but there's no way I'd try to get this done in the middle of a trip! Especially these days, if their short a part it could take months to get another one! You would also want to be ABSO-FRAGGIN-LUTELY sure that the installer is familiar with KL's and has done these installs before with NO issues!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are other options to mounting the control box up front, just takes a bit of tinkering.
Great looking setup. Fantastic job on the install.

I am looking to do the same sliders and haven't decided on the gobi basket or platform. I assume those are the RRO Sliders and bumper. I saw that the control head & LED controller blocked access to your battery posts, so I checked your posts to see how you got around that. You found a great solution.

Did you do your own install of the control head into that location above the battery? The 2019+ have a slightly taller battery with the deletion of the Aux battery so it sits a bit higher (see below). What are the dimensions of the control head? Did you do that yourself?

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You don't have to mount the box up front. Look adult frog fab, then leave theirs behind the grill. Also, most go with the 8k from warn. If you go evo, the evo 8, 10, amd 12 are all the same size. Only weight is different.
I really like their bumper/winch setup. I've sent a message to find out if they can do that for a V6. I'll post their replay.

Update from FrogFab: Yes with the warn vr8 evo the control box can stay on the winch
me: Thanks for the information. Do you have any “friendly” installers down Florida way?
FF: Sorry I don’t have contact to refer to you in florida
We always sold parts to customer in USA.

Will like to have dealer all around country but the refer the customer to buy it directly from us.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd recommend against having the parts installed while you're on the trip. The rock sliders may be easy enough, but a winch install as clean as the one pictured in this thread is likely to take a day or two in a shop, and that's only if they don't have any problems. And for the lift kit, you don't want to be dealing with an installation-related problem 2 days and 500 miles later.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks, all work done at home as time permitted. My current battery is a NorthStar group 27f which is taller than the original and still have plenty of room over the top. Also running a higher capacity Singer Altenator.

The control head is switched ON from inside the car, to keep idiots from tapping into the remote controller plug and messing with the winch. Ever see what happens when you connect a winch line over the top of the vehicle to the back and run the line in, it ain’t pretty.
I ordered (3) 8ft 2 awg wires with 5/16” ring terminals for $29 off Amazon, plenty length to move box all the way to battery location

Controller box size depends on which winch

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cherokees NEVER HAD an aux battery. GRAND CHEROKEES have an aux battery. Battery size is unchanged.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for clearing that up. When I first got on a ton of talk about ESS & Aux batteries. Even had a service guy tell me its located by the wheel well, which I did not believe.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd recommend against having the parts installed while you're on the trip. The rock sliders may be easy enough, but a winch install as clean as the one pictured in this thread is likely to take a day or two in a shop, and that's only if they don't have any problems. And for the lift kit, you don't want to be dealing with an installation-related problem 2 days and 500 miles later.
Yeah.... its a risk alright. I was thinking a 1" lift would be somewhat minor and drama free. If there is such a thing.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
@rdskill, If you are stopping in Heber, then you are only 10 miles south of the Snowhawk. Shoot me an IM and maybe we can rendezvous.

Happy Trails
It should not be a problem to make that happen if Heper City pans out. Thanks for the invite to meet up. It would be fun to compare notes/info.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
873 Posts
As suggested, I would not ever have modifications performed while on a trip of any kind and especially a lengthy one like that. If there is a problem, you'll be miles away and could have trouble that not many other shops would want to touch.

We spend part of the year in central Florida and there's plenty of reliable shops in the Sunshine State that can perform suspension and many other mods, so I would look there first. We actually spend most of the year in Erie and are fortunate to have NFI Empire here who are Jeep rebuild experts. I have a Hazard Sky 1-1/2" lift with Bilstein shocks and they also performed a precision alignment (can't detect any vibration at 90 MPH+ or uneven tire wear) and it all worked out pretty much perfectly.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
1 - 14 of 14 Posts