2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just very recently purchased a 2015 Cherokee Limited 3.2. I am pretty sure I am starting to have transmission problems. When accelerating up a hill from a stop it seems to want to stick in 3 gear, then when coming to a stop it wants to downshift hard. Also when accelerating it clunks into gear.

So it seems to downshift hard and has a clunk when accelerating.

My buddy said that I should check the transmission fluid but I am unsure that would do anything.

Is there anything I can do? According to the car fax, it has all the recalls and flashes done. But they were done in 2016 I believe. My VIN will be below if anyone wants to double-check if there is anything I may have missed or anything the dealer should have done.

I have read recently on this forum that there is a procedure for throttle calibration or throttle relearning I can try, basically just put the key in the run cycle and hold the gas for 20 seconds, then slowly let off the gas, then start. I also have a weird wobble that happens at low speeds. But I am not sure if that is actually a transmission or drivetrain issue.

If all else fails am I stuck with buying a brand-new transmission?

1C4PJMDS1FW556905

So searching for TSB I have come across the FCA Warranty Extension # X90 warranty extension, unfortunately, I don't think that this bulletin will apply to my Cherokee, which has 108xxx miles on it. I also am not the original owner of the vehicle.

Font Screenshot Parallel Document Number

Attachments

· Registered
79 Posts
The low speed wobble is addressed here: Official wobble fix TSB

I noticed a similar problem on my 2016 Latitude 3.2 with AD1 (manufactured July 2015) but took a copy of the TSB to the dealer and had the half-shafts replaced during warranty period at no charge. It's almost at 115k miles now, but fortunately the transmission has performed well since a flash was done by a dealer early on.

So I just very recently purchased a 2015 Cherokee Limited 3.2. I am pretty sure I am starting to have transmission problems. When accelerating up a hill from a stop it seems to want to stick in 3 gear, then when coming to a stop it wants to downshift hard. Also when accelerating it clunks into gear.

So it seems to downshift hard and has a clunk when accelerating.

My buddy said that I should check the transmission fluid but I am unsure that would do anything.

Is there anything I can do? According to the car fax, it has all the recalls and flashes done. But they were done in 2016 I believe. My VIN will be below if anyone wants to double-check if there is anything I may have missed or anything the dealer should have done.

I have read recently on this forum that there is a procedure for throttle calibration or throttle relearning I can try, basically just put the key in the run cycle and hold the gas for 20 seconds, then slowly let off the gas, then start. I also have a weird wobble that happens at low speeds. But I am not sure if that is actually a transmission or drivetrain issue.

If all else fails am I stuck with buying a brand-new transmission?

1C4PJMDS1FW556905

So searching for TSB I have come across the FCA Warranty Extension # X90 warranty extension, unfortunately, I don't think that this bulletin will apply to my Cherokee, which has 108xxx miles on it. I also am not the original owner of the vehicle.

View attachment 221910

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think my jeep is still covered under that bulletin? I don't think I have had that done yet. But I just very recently purchased this vehicle.

Could I get your thoughts on the extended warranty thing?

· Registered
2014 TH 3.2, 2" lift, 1" spacers, Steelies
261 Posts
Do you think my jeep is still covered under that bulletin? I don't think I have had that done yet. But I just very recently purchased this vehicle.

Could I get your thoughts on the extended warranty thing?
Hi @JeepIsMe , there are others with more experience on the extended and MaxCare warranties than me but my understanding is the car had to have them already. They can't be added onto a use car post-purchase.

• Any leaking fluid from under the car? (if there's a cover on the bottom of the car, it might need to be removed. Any fluid on the outside bottom of the transmission or PTU case? )
  • How many miles on the car? The transmission fluid is supposedly 'lifetime' (a period not really defined). Still, any fluid can get old in time but generally if the fluid is not low, you shouldn't be having fluid-issues unless super-high mileage. (e.g. pushing 200k)
  • Do you notice the shift issue more if on an incline (up/down) as opposed to level ground?
  • When did you purchase the car? Does your State have any implied warranties on used-car sales even in the dealer/place you purchased it at sold it 'as-is'?

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi @JeepIsMe , there are others with more experience on the extended and MaxCare warranties than me but my understanding is the car had to have them already. They can't be added onto a use car post-purchase.

• Any leaking fluid from under the car? (if there's a cover on the bottom of the car, it might need to be removed. Any fluid on the outside bottom of the transmission or PTU case? )
  • How many miles on the car? The transmission fluid is supposedly 'lifetime' (a period not really defined). Still, any fluid can get old in time but generally if the fluid is not low, you shouldn't be having fluid-issues unless super-high mileage. (e.g. pushing 200k)
  • Do you notice the shift issue more if on an incline (up/down) as opposed to level ground?
  • When did you purchase the car? Does your State have any implied warranties on used-car sales even in the dealer/place you purchased it at sold it 'as-is'?
Hi, yes I do have a leak under the car. My buddy and I think it is either transmission fluid or oil. It was leaking so badly from the valley near the oil housing that it was hard to tell. The undercover shield was soaked in some type of fluid, so I just removed the undercover shield. But I will mention that we had replaced the oil housing, the whole assembly with a Mopar one. I think there was a leak around the transmission, but again we could not tell, it had too much fluid underneath that we couldn't tell. But I think the fluid was red, which I now know is not the correct fluid for the transmission it is supposed to be green.

The mileage on my car is 108xxx. I cannot tell if the fluid is low, but I have seen videos and I have found the plug to check the level of the fluid. I do have a special measurement tool for the transmission fluid check I think it was the Mopar tool. I don't feel comfortable doing it myself without having it level. I understand that the vehicle has to be level to get an accurate reading.

I notice a shift issue more so on an incline, I have hill assist off and I have tried it with it on, with the same result. It shifts hard unless I come to a complete stop. But I have reason to believe that it is gears 1-3 that have problems. When on an incline I notice that the RPMs go up to like 5k then it shifts. There is also a sensation that I am being rear-ended, but I know that is not the case. As well I have noticed it seems to be like I am driving with a brake on. But that could just be me overthinking, but the transmission does seem sluggish from when I first purchased the car back in September of 2022. Level ground does have some sort of issue, the rear-ended sensation, that jerk then it goes. But this happens not so often right now.

I purchased the car back in September of 2022 the 22 of the month. My state CT does have the lemon law warranty but I am past that now. The dealership I purchased it from also had a 30-day warranty or 1k miles, whichever came first. But that was only for complete engine failure or drivetrain failure.

I love this Jeep and I hope to have this car for a while if nothing goes catastrophic in the near future. I also received a quote from a warranty site, Chrysler Warranty Online. I believe I saw on this forum that this site is legitimate. The quote I received said it was for a used car. One of the max care warranty ones looks like a hefty price but I am believing that this warranty may be worth it. The quote I received is around the $3000+ mark. But again I believe this may be worth it. The warranty said it would work for other owners besides the original owner, but if someone could correct me if I am incorrect that would be wonderful.

Also, in my attachment of the TSB in my opening post. Do you think that TSB will apply to me still? I am unsure if my car has any available flashes available. Below is what the previous owners have done for recalls. The dealership told me I had no TSBs to be done, but for flashes, they told me they had to have my car in the shop to check. Are multiple flashes covered under the TSB or can you only have one flash and that's all? I am very unsure how this works.

Should I have more than only 4 recalls? It feels like with this car I may have missed some, but then again when I gave my VIN to the dealership they told me I had nothing available.

If you would like to check my VIN for anything that I may have missed my VIN is: 1C4PJMDS1FW556905

Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Number

Attachments

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The low speed wobble is addressed here: Official wobble fix TSB

I noticed a similar problem on my 2016 Latitude 3.2 with AD1 (manufactured July 2015) but took a copy of the TSB to the dealer and had the half-shafts replaced during warranty period at no charge. It's almost at 115k miles now, but fortunately the transmission has performed well since a flash was done by a dealer early on.
I don't see that in my TSB recalls list. But the dealership I called said I also had no recalls or TSBs to be done. Unless they were lying to me and just didn't want to do it. I am totally unsure what I what has been done to the vehicle concerning recalls besides the 4 listed in my above post.

Is TSB's lifetime of the vehicle are they free? Does it still have to be under warranty for the TSB to be applied?

· Registered
14 ,16,and a 19 limited KL all 3.2l
229 Posts
Remove the under shield and clean the area good. then when dry and check the area again . if nothing then take a test drive acouple times around the block then check again if you can pin point the leak. the oil filter adapter you installed can also be defective . check that valley to see if dry and no oil..

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Remove the under shield and clean the area good. then when dry and check the area again . if nothing then take a test drive acouple times around the block then check again if you can pin point the leak. the oil filter adapter you installed can also be defective . check that valley to see if dry and no oil..
The valley is dry, and the oil filter housing seems to be doing good at this point in time. It was installed in October 2022. I do have an oil leak from the top engine gaskets I think. I have purchased these gaskets Intake Manifold Gasket (Lower and Upper) and Valve Cover Gasket (Includes VVT Solenoid Seals, Camshaft Sensor Seals, Spark Plug Tube Seals). I did not install all of them due to an unforeseen problem at the time.

I was told to take my car to a carwash that has an undercarriage rinse. So far I have done so 12 times. But I haven't had a chance to check if the bottom where I found the leaks were wet. I also have no driveway spots when I park.

· Registered
321 Posts
Hi Jeeplsme, Sounds to me like the 2nd gear down shift delete. If you start from a long dead stop and it shift 1-2-3-4 and so on, but if you are going 30 plus miles an hour and slow down to 2-3 MPH and it stays in 3rd, it was a software flash done by the dealer to remove the 2nd gear down shift. Hangs in 3rd. gear.

So "operating as designed" BS dealer reasoning.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Jeeplsme, Sounds to me like the 2nd gear down shift delete. If you start from a long dead stop and it shift 1-2-3-4 and so on, but if you are going 30 plus miles an hour and slow down to 2-3 MPH and it stays in 3rd, it was a software flash done by the dealer to remove the 2nd gear down shift. Hangs in 3rd. gear.

So "operating as designed" BS dealer reasoning.
Curious, why would they delete the second gear downshift?

· Registered
321 Posts
I believe it has something to do with a C-ring or 2nd gear D ring? breaking. It's been a while. Many early models like mine, 2014/2015 had this 2nd gear deleted by the dealer to help prevent transmission failure.

· Registered
261 Posts
I don't see that in my TSB recalls list. But the dealership I called said I also had no recalls or TSBs to be done. Unless they were lying to me and just didn't want to do it. I am totally unsure what I what has been done to the vehicle concerning recalls besides the 4 listed in my above post.

Is TSB's lifetime of the vehicle are they free? Does it still have to be under warranty for the TSB to be applied?
Hey @JeepIsMe ,

Here's what I'd do to diagnose if I were in your shoes....

#1. You need to confirm absolutely whether the leak is the transaxle or something else. The ZF transmission relies heavily on hydraulic fluid power for example to move the two internal dog clutches. Below are two great videos by this professor who really knows how these transmissions work. If the pump is starved for fluid, all sorts of weird things can happen. Wipe down the underside of case real good and look for where the leak is emanating from. Follow it to its source.

#2. You really should get a reading on the actual as-is level using the special tool. As you mentioned, you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. That's cool - it really isn't well placed and not easy to get to from either the top or drivers side wheel well. Find someone else (a friend?) or take it to a mechanic to have it done. And yes, you're correct, the car must be level. Also, you will need to know the temperature of the fluid (there's YouTube videos on all of this and the temperature is easy since the EVIC has a monitor screen). Again, all of this goes along with making sure there's enough fluid for the transaxle to shift properly.

The two things above should rule in or out a fluid level problem. From there you can move on to things like fluid quality, electrical, software or mechanical issues etc.

Also, note the ZF uses valves to channel the hydraulic fluid to the correct clutches at the correct time and if it's gone bad, this could account for the issue you're having. Good news is that if the valve pack is bad, fortunately, they're replaceable separate from the transmission (and without dropping the transmission from the car). Check out videos below, especially the first one where he mentions the symptoms the customer had.

Best,

Gary

VALVE BODY REPLACEMENT / ZF 9-SPEED TRANSMISSION

----------------------------------------------------

THEORY OF OPERATION / ZF 9-SPEED TRANSMISSION

· Registered
261 Posts
ps: the above assumes you're already done the updates (which you said you did) and there are no P-codes (Powertrain) that point to a specific issue such as the example screenshot below. If you have AlfaOBD it's a good tool to use.

Font Circle Number Rectangle Paper

Font Circle Rectangle Number Paper

· Registered
13,166 Posts
I believe it has something to do with a C-ring or 2nd gear D ring? breaking. It's been a while. Many early models like mine, 2014/2015 had this 2nd gear deleted by the dealer to help prevent transmission failure.
C-clutch snap ring. That was the failure point on the first batches of the 9-speed (builds from early 2014 to early May 2015). I believe the very first KLs had an original ZF-9 and were immune to this (before they started putting Chrysler built ZF-9s in the Cherokee). Removing 2nd gear from coasting downshift apparently removes some stress on the snap ring.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ps: the above assumes you're already done the updates (which you said you did) and there are no P-codes (Powertrain) that point to a specific issue such as the example screenshot below. If you have AlfaOBD it's a good tool to use.

View attachment 221932
View attachment 221933
I didn't do the updates myself. They were done when the TSBs were released. I don't seem to have the symptoms specific like you mentioned, or in the picture.

· Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's been a while since I posted. But I still have the same problem, on Friday I am going to have my transmission fluid level checked, However not at a dealership and just going to a shop in town that I trust. If all else fails I will take my vehicle to the dealer to see what can be done. But I am assuming that nothing short of new transmission will be able to fix this.

Remanned transmission or rebuilt transmission? Which would be the best way?

Other than the transmission the vehicle is in fine shape.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys, New to the club. Just bought a 2015 TH 3.2 (only 51k) a month ago after much research. I very much appreciate the wealth of knowledge all of you share. Thank You! I hope to be able to contribute in some way.

I had found that the bad c-ring was for "KL vehicles built on or after June 26, 2013 (MDH 0626XX) and on or before December 1, 2014 (MDH 1201XX) equipped with a 2.4L engine (sales code ED6 or ED8) or 3.2L engine (sales code EHB) " based on the service bulletin link below. Fortunately, mine was built after. I am not sure if Jeep was doing the reprogramming to help this ring for any kl or just those in that range. I had talked to my service department, they can't tell if any of those reprograms were done without bringing it in. Their guidance was unless there is shifting problems, leave it alone. Mine mostly shifts fine, with an occasional firm shift. Mine uses 2 gear now, so I am hesitant to have them do a reflash and loose 2nd. Am I wrong with that?

Concerning fluid, I am going to do a drain and fill and set the level. Even though mileage is low, ZF recommends replacing fluid at 8 years (see 2nd link below for a good discussion of Mopar ATFs through the years, our info is near the end). I am using ZF Lifeguard 8, not 9. Mopar 8/9 is LG8 (green). LG9 is blue. I am not a fan of mixing different types. If I owned since new, I probably would be confident in what is in there, but when buying used, you never know what may have happened before you owned it. If I were you, I would start with renewing the fluid and ensure level is correct.

· Registered
13,166 Posts
Hi Guys, New to the club. Just bought a 2015 TH 3.2 (only 51k) a month ago after much research. I very much appreciate the wealth of knowledge all of you share. Thank You! I hope to be able to contribute in some way.

I had found that the bad c-ring was for "KL vehicles built on or after June 26, 2013 (MDH 0626XX) and on or before December 1, 2014 (MDH 1201XX) equipped with a 2.4L engine (sales code ED6 or ED8) or 3.2L engine (sales code EHB) " based on the service bulletin link below. Fortunately, mine was built after. I am not sure if Jeep was doing the reprogramming to help this ring for any kl or just those in that range. I had talked to my service department, they can't tell if any of those reprograms were done without bringing it in. Their guidance was unless there is shifting problems, leave it alone. Mine mostly shifts fine, with an occasional firm shift. Mine uses 2 gear now, so I am hesitant to have them do a reflash and loose 2nd. Am I wrong with that?

Concerning fluid, I am going to do a drain and fill and set the level. Even though mileage is low, ZF recommends replacing fluid at 8 years (see 2nd link below for a good discussion of Mopar ATFs through the years, our info is near the end). I am using ZF Lifeguard 8, not 9. Mopar 8/9 is LG8 (green). LG9 is blue. I am not a fan of mixing different types. If I owned since new, I probably would be confident in what is in there, but when buying used, you never know what may have happened before you owned it. If I were you, I would start with renewing the fluid and ensure level is correct.

Hi there :)

Just going from memory and also because I have a 2015... Build date is important for a 2015 because there was a cutoff as to when the transmission flashes to remove 3-2-1 happens. From memory, this build date is May 4 2015. From May 4 onwards, there was no flash or recall for the transmission. I've never had one done on mine, it was never offered via wiTECH.

Your build date is on two different labels on the B pillar driver's side, if I recall. One label has year/month, trhe other has day and time (I think). So if your build date is post May 3 2015, you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts