2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2018 is having an issue when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. There’s a huge clunk that happens a few times a week. Not every day but when I felt it it was noticeably bad!

Only happens around 30 miles an hour and that’s when it’s in fourth gear. Any known issues I should be concerned about?

Sent from my TI-99/4A

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
You sure its 3-4 and not 4-5. 4-5 is the dog clutch shift and on some vehicle has a history of being harsh. Since it's a 2018 and likely under warranty go to the dealership and ask for a TCM reflash. What selec terrain mode does it happen in

·
Super Moderator
7,289 Posts
My KL is constantly shifting 3-4, 4-5, 5-4,4-3 since we have moderate hills and I'm always towing. Interestingly enough, the 3-4 and 4-3 are actually more noticeable than the dog clutch 4-5 and 5-4, but I think it's purely due to RPMs...cruising along at 60MPH at 3000 RPM in 4th and then downshifting 4-3 to 3800 RPM sucks...

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
A "huge clunk" is never normal. In my opinion it is indicative of a wear producing event. That is 2 parts coming together that are not synced or lubricated.
Transmissions are designed to be smooth and quiet pieces of equipment. The Cherokee's 9 speed is no different.

I have a 2014 Cherokee limited with AD2 and V6. The transmission is smooth to the point of not feeling the shifts. I do tow and when dealing with hills the shifting is still smooth but more noticeable ( I can feel the shifts). Even when accelerating (hard), not towing, I can feel the shifts down and up BUT never a clunk with them.
Every once and a while (rare) it gets funky with a hard shift ect. But again its a 2014 that's the old hardware design. Its always in the back of my mind the 2014 trans issues.
Back in 2015 my dealer just told me IF I noticed any change in the way the 9 speed is working to the negative bring it in.
In other words the transmission does not function flawlessly then blow up suddenly. There is usually always little hints along the way to this.

In your case:
#1. The 2014 was probably the most problematic year for the transmission in the Cherokee line. Mid 2015 the 9 speed had a hardware change that eliminated the previous issues.
#2. I would be a bit concerned as clunking in a transmission is NEVER good. That is actual clunking and not just a rough shift.

A 2018 still has the full warranty in effect. The dealer needs to be made aware of the problem which is not normal. In other works it needs to be resolved and/or a paper trail started.
Also you need to clarify exactly when the issue started. That is how long ago and has it gotten worse over time to the present 3 clunks a week. If its a progression then there is an issue developing with the transmission.
Be sure to let us know how it works out.

·
FCA Customer Support Group
1,267 Posts
The 2018 is having an issue when it shifts from 3rd to 4th. There’s a huge clunk that happens a few times a week. Not every day but when I felt it it was noticeably bad!

Only happens around 30 miles an hour and that’s when it’s in fourth gear. Any known issues I should be concerned about?

Sent from my TI-99/4A

Hi XJ99,
Noises and clunks are certainly a concern. We would recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealer for proper diagnosis. If you would like additional support during your service, feel free to privately message us on here.

Kathryn
JeepCares

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, every time it has done it we check to see which gear
it's in and it is 4th. Never felt it in any other gears, or speeds.
Always right around 30MPH. We have an appointment to
take it in tomorrow. It has 34,963 on it right now.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So today I get a call about a Star Case? Anyway, they had to flash the TCM,
we'll see what happens.. BTW, she hates the base model 2.4 KL. Her 2018
Lat+ is leaps and bounds better! She was pointing out all the stuff she hated
about the 2020 Base Lat. LOL She isn't even a car person. I was even surprised
you had to enter the FOB into the ignition and turn it on! LOL I thought all new
KL's were push button. Oh and the 2.4 has Auto SS! Really?

Anyway, I hope the flash fixes the transmission! She can't wait to get her KL back!

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my wife picked up her Jeep yesterday and it happened
twice on her way to work. Same speed, same hard clunk
from the middle of the Jeep. Seems to have gotten worse,
as she used to go at least a day or more with out the
clunk. Have another appointment this Monday.

I don't mind since we get a loaner, just hope they find out
what's causing this. One of the reasons we got her out
of the Patriot was because it would hick up in every gear
at any speed. This is a lot worse than a mild hick up.

·
Premium Member
2,556 Posts
I can tell you the V69 recall in addition to its intended purpose.......tried to resolve the hard 4-5 dog clutch shift..........more info coming

1 - 9 of 9 Posts