2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 2020 Latitude Plus 4x4 and slowly adding some exterior details. I did some research and I figured out that the Latitude Plus is actually not trail rated. What is everyones thoughts on putting a trail rated badge on a Jeep that is technically not trail-rated?

Registered
My thoughts are it is just a self created standard and emblem. My KJ was trail rated, but when I told it that it performed the same. My KL is not and I have not noticed it being depressed or anything because it isn't.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Reactions: kblueaz

Registered
I would be more concerned if someone stole your vehicle and if they got into trouble or got hurt taking it off road they could sue you nowadays!

2019 Trailhawk Elite
Build date May 2019

Registered
According to Quadratec:

The Trail Rated庐 Badge represents five categories of off-roading built in every Jeep 4x4:
  • Traction
  • Ground Clearance
  • Maneuverability
  • Articulation
  • Water Fording
If your Jeep is 4x4, it should qualify for the badge! Not having it is a marketing decision. Some folks will order a Trail Hawk to get the badge. My 2019 limited has everything that a Trail Hawk has except a locking rear diff and did not come with off road tires!

Premium Member
According to Quadratec:

The Trail Rated庐 Badge represents five categories of off-roading built in every Jeep 4x4:
  • Traction
  • Ground Clearance
  • Maneuverability
  • Articulation
  • Water Fording
If your Jeep is 4x4, it should qualify for the badge! Not having it is a marketing decision. Some folks will order a Trail Hawk to get the badge. My 2019 limited has everything that a Trail Hawk has except a locking rear diff and did not come with off road tires!
I've owned a trail rated version of every modern jeep except a wrangler.
While the criteria you listed is correct it can't be used as a blanket statement like that.

The trail rated campaign is best understood if you think of it this way.

A trail rated jeep is MORE offroad capable than a non trail rated vehicle of the same model and can go offroad with ZERO modification and not risk damage.

Case and point I had a Compass and Patriot FDII model (basically the trailhawk model available now with all the offroad options)
It was way better offroad than the non FDII models, (Lift, skid plates, tow hooks, different suspension[HD parts] different engine programming) however it did not have a low range transfer case and that severely limited it's capability vs other models of vehicles that were trail rated.

Then I got a 2014 Limited ADII AND a 2016 Trailhawk.
The 2016 could go offroad with zero issues no modifications needed. Compared to an ADI cherokee yeah its got 4x4 but no skid plates bumper approach angles are terrible and risk damage if you go offroad.
Yes my ADII has the low range and is slightly higher BUT again the bumpers and lack of skid plates open up the possibility for much more damage and that's why it's not trail rated.

I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee with the Offroad 2 package, it's trail rated. It's identical to the newer trailhawks from a mechanical standpoint. Regular grand cherokees don't have low range, or tow hooks or skid plates. You need to have special packages to get a trail rating from the factory. In some cases you can add all the parts to make it trail rated, in other cases you can't.

My Compass and Patriot were Trail rated, but absolutely sucked offroad COMPARED to my Cherokee Trailhawk, which is why you think of the trail rating as compared to the same vehicle without the package.

Just because a vehicle is 4x4 doesn't make it trail rated, your 2019 may have the 2 speed PTU, but it doesn't have the bumpers (which will get damaged easy offroad) and doesn't have skid plates, those 2 things right there are pretty big issues with going and doing anything more than driving down a dirt road.

Registered
Sure! I once put a Carrera emblem on my VW bug.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
My 2019 limited has everything that a Trail Hawk has except a locking rear diff and did not come with off road tires!
The Trailhawk model has an extra 1" lift over non Trailhawk models.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Premium Member
The Trailhawk model has an extra 1" lift over non Trailhawk models.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Not entirely correct.

Kingfr has a 2019 ADII, so it's actually only 0.5" short of ground clearance compared to a TH, the TH has 0.5" more ground clearance because of larger tires.
TH = 245/65/17 = 29.5"
4x4 Limited with ADII = 225/60/18 = 28.63"

0.9" difference in diameter = 0.45" different in overall ground clearance.
I ran TH wheels and 245/65/17 tires on my ADII it had the same ground clearance as my TH did before the TH was lifted.

Registered
Hello everyone, I have a 2020 Latitude Plus 4x4 and slowly adding some exterior details. I did some research and I figured out that the Latitude Plus is actually not trail rated. What is everyones thoughts on putting a trail rated badge on a Jeep that is technically not trail-rated?
This was discussed at length a while back:

First and foremost, you can do whatever you want.

With that being said, however, my take is that you'd be claiming your Jeep is something it isn't. It's a symbol of distinguishment, and yours hasn't earned that distinction. It's the same concept as 'stolen valor' but just to a much less serious degree.

Know that the requirements for the Trail Rated status from Jeep are not totally consistent. In the thread linked above, the OP (@ IRSmart) had done several modifications and made a case for why he has earned that status, and personally, I agreed with his points and thought his AD2 deserved it. I don't know what mods you've done or what you were working with to begin, but definitely low range 4WD is an absolute must. Read through the conversations in that thread and maybe it will give you some insight and help you form an opinion.

Or just do whatever you want, nobody can stop you, lol. I just wouldn't personally do it unless I felt it was warranted. That's my $.02, take it for what you feel it's worth. But read the old thread!

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

Registered
Martim91,
Please, get it done, and post pics! It is the most prestigious badge a Jeep owner can bear. Lets get some squares going. How long will it take for anyone, other than those who follow a Jeep forum, to notice that sweet looking emblem on your Jeep?. I'll take the 3-4 week square馃槂.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Martim91,
Please, get it done, and post pics! It is the most prestigious badge a Jeep owner can bear. Lets get some squares going. How long will it take for anyone, other than those who follow a Jeep forum, to notice that sweet looking emblem on your Jeep?. I'll take the 3-4 week square馃槂.
Slowly working on blacking her out. Im not a fan of all the chrome. Have a black overlays for the chrome grille on order. Currently looking for a place to buy the trail rated badges. Some are outrageously expensive, Haha.

Attachments

Registered
Since everyone is sharing their thoughts, I'll share too. IMO, adding any badging that falsely represents the vehicle's capabilities is just cheesy. If you wanted a trail rated Jeep, then that's what you should've bought. The only version of the Cherokee that is trail rated is the Trail Hawk.

Jeep's trail rating represents more than just being a 4x4. It means the vehicle has passed a series of off-road performance tests in regard to traction, water fording, maneuverability, articulation and ground clearance as demonstrated by successfully traversing the Rubicon Trail in California. The Latitude does not possess the capability to earn this rating. You labeling it as such simply makes you a wannabe and the butt of jokes.

My son added a couple of badges to his car, though in his case it was more tongue-in-cheek humor. He put AMG 6.3 badges on his Ford Focus ST. This wasn't an attempt to represent the car as something it's not, though. It's more of a joke because it's obvious that there is no way you're fitting a 6.3 liter Mercedes AMG engine in that Focus! You always get a grin out of car enthusiasts who notice the badges.

It's interesting that you're looking to add badges. Many enthusiasts prefer to de-badge their vehicle. There's two schools on that side of things, too. There are some who are detailing fanatics and de-badge to make cleaning and polishing easier. Then there are those that de-badge to hide the fact that they didn't buy the top-of-the-line trim level and think that by not indicating this with badges, people may presume that they are driving a higher spec car than they are (popular approach with Audo A4 2.0T and BMW 328i drivers).

Then again, it's your car. I'd just say that if you decide to go through with it, go all the way and put a trail rated badge on every body panel. Oh, and don't forget the trail rated windshield banner and some trail rated flags flying on the antennae, too. That should get the point across.

Reactions: RhinosGoMoo

Registered
Currently looking for a place to buy the trail rated badges. Some are outrageously expensive, Haha.
A "Trail Rated" badge isn't going to magically make your rig Trail Rated. If the badges are so expensive, why not put that money toward something that is going to actually make it more off-road capable, rather than making it (falsely) appear more off-road capable? Just a suggestion.

But if you don't have 4x4 with low range, no amount of modding is ever going to compensate for that. That may come off as "elitist" but it's just the naked truth, sorry.

That doesn't mean you can't have fun in it and still go tons of places off the beaten path (I had a blast in my AD1 Latitude!), but serious trails? Work within your limits, or it will cease to be fun real quick.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

Registered
Slowly working on blacking her out. Im not a fan of all the chrome. Have a black overlays for the chrome grille on order. Currently looking for a place to buy the trail rated badges. Some are outrageously expensive, Haha.
I blacked out my 2019 Latitude+. Toughest part was the trim around the windows. Had to enlist the help of my brother who works for a vehicle wrap shop. Material is not too expensive, but I recommend buying the 3m. It's worth it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts