2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much current I can get from the backup light pins on the 7 pin trailer plug?
I see the 12V line has a 30A fuse on it, but I was thinking of adding lights and wiring them with a plug to the trailer plug.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Can you elaborate about your project what you wrote could be interpreted several ways.

are you adding additional reverse lights to a trailer? It would depend on your current trailer power draw.

I'd imagine if they are all led that you have at least 100 watts of capacity available.

·
Registered
11,337 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you elaborate about your project what you wrote could be interpreted several ways.

are you adding additional reverse lights to a trailer? It would depend on your current trailer power draw.

I'd imagine if they are all led that you have at least 100 watts of capacity available.
No trailer involved. I just want to add lights to the back of the Jeep, and power them thru the trailer reverse pin on the plug. That way I can just unplug them and not run wires all over the place.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
If its anything like the tow package on my Grand Cherokee approx 23 amps max draw. So if you are adding some lights you will be fine. Its a 30amp fuse but the vehicle won't allow more than 23 amps.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought the 30A fuse was only for the 12V aux pin, I was looking for just the current I could get from the reverse pin. The lights I'm looking at would be 10A for both, which yes, if I was on the 12V pin no problem, I'm just not sure where if at all the reverse pin is fused.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
632 Posts
I thought the 30A fuse was only for the 12V aux pin, I was looking for just the current I could get from the reverse pin. The lights I'm looking at would be 10A for both, which yes, if I was on the 12V pin no problem, I'm just not sure where if at all the reverse pin is fused.
If you are looking at using it for reverse lights, just add a relay. The reverse lights trigger the relay, and the power comes off the 12v pin.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I could use a relay and I had thought of that, but I'd rather just be able to plug it in and not have a relay hanging out back there :)

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes I could use a relay and I had thought of that, but I'd rather just be able to plug it in and not have a relay hanging out back there :)
It might still work. 10A will be 120 watts. If you are using the reverse lights, it would normally have at least 50 watts on it with a trailer with two incandescent bulbs. You can also check fuse for that circuit and see if its a 10A as well. Just hook it up and see if it pops the fuse. If so, then you will have your answer. You might run into an issue if you plan to run the lights, and plug in a trailer at any point.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
so you want them to only be on when in reverse? and always be on in reverse?

Seems Limited way to connect it when other ways are not much harder.

So how are you going to power it leave the jeep in reverse with parking brake on? Also uses more gas in gear idling than park.. if for extended period.

Maybe we are missing something? can you explain how you intend to use these lights?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It might still work. 10A will be 120 watts. If you are using the reverse lights, it would normally have at least 50 watts on it with a trailer with two incandescent bulbs. You can also check fuse for that circuit and see if its a 10A as well. Just hook it up and see if it pops the fuse. If so, then you will have your answer. You might run into an issue if you plan to run the lights, and plug in a trailer at any point.
I could not find a fuse listed as backup trailer in the manual. Just this one.
F14 10 Amp Red – Drivetrain Control Module (DTCM)/Power Take-Off Unit (PTU)/Electric Park Brake (EPB)/RDM/Brake System Module (BSM) – If Equipped/Brake Pedal Switch/Back Up Lamp Switch (Diesel)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so you want them to only be on when in reverse? and always be on in reverse?

Seems Limited way to connect it when other ways are not much harder.

So how are you going to power it leave the jeep in reverse with parking brake on? Also uses more gas in gear idling than park.. if for extended period.

Maybe we are missing something? can you explain how you intend to use these lights?
For now yes only in reverse. For extra light while backing up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
For now yes only in reverse. For extra light while backing up.
Here is another solution and will give you even more light. Swap your reverse lights for leds. Those by themselves will throw a bulb out code as the stick halogens pull 25w each, and the leds pull around 4w. Then add your additional lights (assuming they are also led). Combined, you can probably run both on the same circuit amd prevent the light out notice. I just did the led conversion, but had to add resistors 25w resistors to prevent the light out notice. I probably should throw up a post just to it as it wasn't hard to do, and cost me about 20 dollars, vs the 85 for the mfc kit (though the mfc would have been much easier). Light output is probably double what was there before.
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Cloud Sky Daytime Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Trunk Bumper Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Electrical wiring

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I used led bulbs on my last kl.
I'm just looking for max current I can get from the reverse pin in the trailer connector.

·
Registered
632 Posts
This is on a 2019. Not sure how much the NOX sensor's use, but you would have the leftover. Probably more than enough as most of the other trailer lights are 20amp fuses as well.

Rectangle Parallel Font Tints and shades Fixture

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Familiar with the saying "To get perfect torque setting, tighten the bolt until it strips then back it off a quarter turn"?

Can apply the same principle here. I'll let you figure out how. ;)

·
Registered
11,337 Posts
Familiar with the saying "To get perfect torque setting, tighten the bolt until it strips then back it off a quarter turn"?

I like that ^^.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
632 Posts

It is, except its much easier to change a fuse than rethreading a bold. We still don't know how many watts or amps are needed. Are we talking full on light bar, pod lights, leds, incandescent, etc. They may come with a 10a fuse, but that doesn't mean they are going to pull 120 watts. To know the exact amount, pull the correct fuse, and then test the current going through the circuit with a multimeter and subtract from 20.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is on a 2019. Not sure how much the NOX sensor's use, but you would have the leftover. Probably more than enough as most of the other trailer lights are 20amp fuses as well.

View attachment 217917
Thanks! I re looked in my manual and it says the same. I don't know how I missed it the other 3 times I looked.
Thanks again!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Thanks! I re looked in my manual and it says the same. I don't know how I missed it the other 3 times I looked.
Thanks again!!
I had to do a word search. I read through it first, and saw all of them but that one as well.

Reactions: slipkid
1 - 20 of 20 Posts