2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2016 Cherokee is there a certain hitch or anything extra that is needed? My car did not have the hitch installed when I bought and now I want to get one but can I go to just any old place and get it installed or is there something extra that is needed?

·
Registered
120 Posts
You will need the hitch itself (~$150), the rear bumper insert replaced (~$125), and the wiring kit (~$220). Then you will have to take it to the stealership to have the trailer wiring turned on at the ECM/BCM (~$180).

There is an aftermarket wiring kit that you don't have to take the Jeep to the stealership, but I do not know how well they work.

Good Luck

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
95 Posts
Doing it this way only get you half of the rated towing capacity vs the factory hitch I believe (I'm sure others will comment).

There are some other components required if you want the full towing capacity, I guess it depends on what you want to tow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My post above is using authentic MOPAR parts. This is what I did adding a hitch to my 2019 Latitude +, and it did not change the tow ratings. The only thing I did not add was the transmission cooler because I am only towing a 5x8 utility and using the hitch for my bike rack. I have a F150 for heavy towing.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
77 Posts
2" hitch for your vehicle. About $150. Installation is $150-200. Trailer light wiring harness $50.

Per Jeep that puts you at 2k towing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
This can be done for fairly cheap if not using OEM parts. There are multiple companies out there that make one, however it would be mounted below your rear bumper instead of inside like the OEM one. And then you would also buy an aftermarket wiring harness that hooks into your rear brake lights. Probably less than $250 if you install yourself.

If using OEM it depends on how much you want to add. I bought the hitch and the wiring harness, both combined were about $400. I think that will be all I need. For people going further, then there is also the flat-tow wiring depending on model (prob another $200), and at least on 2019 trailhawks that were early in the production run, the heavy duty cooling (i.e. larger radiator, $200). For other models I believe they also have a different radiator fan setup ($1000). I think there is also an auxiliary trans oil cooler depending on trim level ($100). You may also need to upgrade the brakes in the front to be the dual piston heavy duty brakes ($400). Then there is the transmission ($3000+), depending on the model some have different gearing when equipped with built-in tow. Nobody is going to be doing that.

As for towing rating, yes if it didn't have tow from the factory, then you are limited "on paper" to 2000lbs. Most popup campers I think will probably be more than that. With that said, there is no law that says you can't tow more (there ARE laws where you will get a ticket if you are towing more than what you say you are) but it could open you up to liabilities if you ever get in an accident. There is a way to legally modify your towing capacity but not the "on paper" capacity from the factory. I won't get into that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This can be done for fairly cheap if not using OEM parts. There are multiple companies out there that make one, however it would be mounted below your rear bumper instead of inside like the OEM one. And then you would also buy an aftermarket wiring harness that hooks into your rear brake lights. Probably less than $250 if you install yourself.

If using OEM it depends on how much you want to add. I bought the hitch and the wiring harness, both combined were about $400. I think that will be all I need. For people going further, then there is also the flat-tow wiring depending on model (prob another $200), and at least on 2019 trailhawks that were early in the production run, the heavy duty cooling (i.e. larger radiator, $200). For other models I believe they also have a different radiator fan setup ($1000). I think there is also an auxiliary trans oil cooler depending on trim level ($100). You may also need to upgrade the brakes in the front to be the dual piston heavy duty brakes ($400). Then there is the transmission ($3000+), depending on the model some have different gearing when equipped with built-in tow. Nobody is going to be doing that.

As for towing rating, yes if it didn't have tow from the factory, then you are limited "on paper" to 2000lbs. Most popup campers I think will probably be more than that. With that said, there is no law that says you can't tow more (there ARE laws where you will get a ticket if you are towing more than what you say you are) but it could open you up to liabilities if you ever get in an accident. There is a way to legally modify your towing capacity but not the "on paper" capacity from the factory. I won't get into that.
This is very interesting. The issue of towing is very confusing to me, I honestly have no idea if I can tow at all.

I have a 2017 Limited V6, without tow package. Here are more pertinent details –

Engine Oil Cooler
Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
3.251 Final Drive Ratio
9-Spd 948TE FWD/AWD Auto Trans

If i add a Mopar hitch + extras, I should then be able to tow about 2000 Lbs ?

·
Registered
8,776 Posts
This is very interesting. The issue of towing is very confusing to me, I honestly have no idea if I can tow at all.

I have a 2017 Limited V6, without tow package. Here are more pertinent details –

Engine Oil Cooler
Auxiliary Transmission Oil Cooler
3.251 Final Drive Ratio
9-Spd 948TE FWD/AWD Auto Trans

If i add a Mopar hitch + extras, I should then be able to tow about 2000 Lbs ?
You could tow 2000 lbs with any hitch, no absolute need for Mopar. With Trailer Tow group, we have a class III hitch (2"), but you could go for a class II, maybe even a class I (both are 1 - 1/4") and tow up to 2000 lbs. Best to get a confirmation on that from the hitch vendor first. Aftermarket hitches, as mentionned a little earlier in this thread, won't be integrated into the bumper cover like OEM, but that doesn't effect towing capacity.
As far as towing capacity in general for these vehicles, we've had countless discussions here, for years, and one of the conclusions has been that there is no clear answer as to why only Cherokees with Tow group can legally tow 4500 lbs (V6) even though the hardware requirements can be met on some models without Tow group. As far as final gearing, that's a mystery too because some countries allow 5000 lbs towing (Cherokee) with the 3.251 final ratio, but not in North America. Rules here are confusing, to say the least... and FCA doesn't help by not providing clear answers on the hardware requirements side of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts