2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought 20” rims for my 2014 Cherokee Sport 2.4L 4WD. The sensors were transferred, but when I had the shop reprogram them it wouldn’t. I thought nothing about it, until I went to Big O’s to have brand new Lexani tires installed, and was told that Jeeps TPMS won’t work with custom wheels larger than OEM. So, I bought a system that I could put on myself and it works well (except the reading being in bars and not psi.). Is there a way to turn off the internal system?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Use "Search Community" above and see what you find.
Explain what "reprogram" did to change the sensors. Might be helpful to future replies.
On my 2014 V6 TH the new TPMS will start working within a couple days of driving. They only operate when the wheel is actually rotating.
Not sure what would happen if you just removed the TPMS. EVIC may report they are missing?

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Wait, so are the TPMS reading zero? I thought most TPMS were pretty universal
depending on the year and (or) MHz... I might be wrong... Is the light on because
the different tires use a different PSI? (Good luck, following)

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Explain what "reprogram" did to change the sensors. Might be helpful to future replies.
On my 2014 V6 TH the new TPMS will start working within a couple days of driving. They only operate when the wheel is actually rotating.
Not sure what would happen if you just removed the TPMS. EVIC may report they are missing?
So the horn alert when the tire is up to pressure must be on the 2019's and up... Good to know...
It took my son's 2012 Jeep Compass a few days for the light to go off. My old 2012 Commander
was immediate once rolling...

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
756 Posts
So, I bought 20” rims for my 2014 Cherokee Sport 2.4L 4WD. The sensors were transferred, but when I had the shop reprogram them it wouldn’t. I thought nothing about it, until I went to Big O’s to have brand new Lexani tires installed, and was told that Jeeps TPMS won’t work with custom wheels larger than OEM. So, I bought a system that I could put on myself and it works well (except the reading being in bars and not psi.). Is there a way to turn off the internal system?
I have never heard of TPMS being dependent on wheel diameter. Who sold you the new system? (bet it was Big O...)
Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Reactions: Mark_ and OhareFred

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome to the forum.
well, it hs been atleast a few weeks before I was told that. The dashboard monitor still shows lines. No digits, and the warning is on....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wait, so are the TPMS reading zero? I thought most TPMS were pretty universal
depending on the year and (or) MHz... I might be wrong... Is the light on because
the different tires use a different PSI? (Good luck, following)
it has the “-“ where numbers should be, and I get the “Service....” warning when starting the car. And the warning light.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,341 Posts
thought most TPMS were pretty universal
They pretty much are. I don't think he drove it long enough for them to start working. Mine took like 2 days, and 100 miles or so when I bought my new tires...😎

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They pretty much are. I don't think he drove it long enough for them to start working. Mine took like 2 days, and 100 miles or so when I bought my new tires...😎
I got this all done months ago. And I’m annoyed with the light, and having to cycle the screen off when I get in the car. Of course I drove for enough time.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
3,341 Posts
I got this all done months ago. And I’m annoyed with the light, and having to cycle the screen off when I get in the car. Of course I drove for enough time.
Well, I don't know then, could be the sketchy Amazon sensors that you bought. I have the exact same sensors on my Trailhawk that I have on my Shelby, bought at my tire shop, and never had a problem on either vehicle. In fact I've never had a problem with sensors on any vehicle...😎

·
Registered
886 Posts
how exactly did you mount both the factory and aftermarket sensors on the wheels?
guessing your aftermarket system is different MHZ than the factory system.. and you dont have the factory sensors.

I also have never heard of them not working with 20" wheels.. some stock cherokee come with 19" thats .5" difference on the radius.

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Humm. I think you were told a bunch of BS. First, Cherokee sensors don't need to be programmed, they are auto detected. So I don't know what happened at that first shop, but... no programming was necessary, don't know what they did.

As far as I know, wheel diameter has no impact whatsover on sensors. Cherokees are now sold with 17, 18 and 19'' wheels, and I believe there is only one sensor for all.

I even bought chinese made sensors off eBay for my winter wheels, and they were plug and play, detected after driving less than 2 blocks.

The only 'problem' I can see, really, is valve stem fit. I know some have had problems with steel wheels, needed to get new stems for the sensors. I have aftermarket alloys for winter, direct fit for the eBay sensors (which are basically Mopar clones).

Just in case... : (4) NEW OEM ORIGINAL 2014-2021 JEEP DODGE RAM TIRE SENSOR MONITOR TPMS | eBay

·
Registered
756 Posts
They may be the kind built into the valve stem caps...

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
They may be the kind built into the valve stem caps...
I'm not familiar with those... This KL is actually my first vehicle with tire sensors (yes, I keep my vehicles a while and miss out on a lot of tech changes, haha..)

Best bet for OP, in my humble opinion : get some eBay sensors (for KLs), go to a tire shop so they can pop the bead and put these sensors that do work back in. Drive away and enjoy... no more nagging, errors, whatever...
I like eBay sensors because they are wayyy less expensive than Mopar sensors... and they work equally well.

Edit to add : tire shops make a killing on sensors... so beware folks, they'll try anything to sell you some, at a premium of course.

·
Registered
756 Posts

·
Registered
10,208 Posts
Gotcha.
Could be an option for some vehicles, but a KL will nag the crap out of you, if you don't have the proper sensors. We're lucky in Canada, we get a pass on the nagging (thank you FCA) because TMPS is not mandatory up here, so we're allowed to ride without sensors and, in a Cherokee, we get one chime, one message, then nothing... I ran a few winters without sensors, then decided I was tired of checking tire pressures manually, heh, so I got me some cheap sensors.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Gotcha.
Could be an option for some vehicles, but a KL will nag the crap out of you, if you don't have the proper sensors. We're lucky in Canada, we get a pass on the nagging (thank you FCA) because TMPS is not mandatory up here, so we're allowed to ride without sensors and, in a Cherokee, we get one chime, one message, then nothing... I ran a few winters without sensors, then decided I was tired of checking tire pressures manually, heh, so I got me some cheap sensors.
These could be used for vehicles without factory TPMS (wasn't it a mandate around 2008 in the US?), I wouldn't put them on a newer vehicle...
I still carry an analog pressure reader in my Jeep, and had never put these on any of my older cars...

Reactions: Mark_
1 - 20 of 21 Posts