2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2015 KL that's been very reliable.

It's a V6, Trailhawk, with the towing package and I'm looking to tow a Jeep CJ7 from my house in Texas, to Denver for the summer.
I'm looking at the tow bars for the front of the CJ but have only ever towed a U-Haul trailer, which went totally fine. What do I need to do to tow a vehicle? I know to make sure the CJ T-case is in neutral, but do I leave the keys in so the steering wheels/wheels can turn freely? Asking for any other tips as well as this will be my first time towing a vehicle.

CJ's are only about 2800ish lbs so the KL should be perfectly capable of flat towing it.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
391 Posts
You might check a CJ/Wrangler forum, your questions seem more related to towing the CJ instead of towing with the KL

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2015 KL that's been very reliable.

It's a V6, Trailhawk, with the towing package and I'm looking to tow a Jeep CJ7 from my house in Texas, to Denver for the summer.
I'm looking at the tow bars for the front of the CJ but have only ever towed a U-Haul trailer, which went totally fine. What do I need to do to tow a vehicle? I know to make sure the CJ T-case is in neutral, but do I leave the keys in so the steering wheels/wheels can turn freely? Asking for any other tips as well as this will be my first time towing a vehicle.

CJ's are only about 2800ish lbs so the KL should be perfectly capable of flat towing it.
If that's the actual weight of the CJ, it shouldn't be a problem. I think they're a bit heavier than that though, but still well within the safe zone...😎

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Factory tow package at birth :)
You're good, just be careful, you're not going to have any braking back there. That kind of weight is going to really make them work extra hard. A 3000lb "trailer" behind a Cherokee really should have some kind of braking, but unfortunately, that's not possible in your situation...😎

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
Sounds like a good excuse to look at the pads and replace them with something a littler better
Definitely if you have some miles on your KL. I suggest Powerstop brakes. I run the Z36 system on my F150 and will never run anything else.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definitely if you have some miles on your KL. I suggest Powerstop brakes. I run the Z36 system on my F150 and will never run anything else.

AK4wheeler
Thanks for the recommendation.

Which kit did you go with? On rockauto I see quite a few kits. Is there really that much of a difference compared to stock?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I still have OEM brakes on my KL. The Powerstop system on my F150 is the Z36 which is their heavy duty for towing rated system since I tow 5-7K a few times a year.

If you go to their website, you should be able to read about their systems and determine what you need.

I have heard that EBC brakes are good, but I have not had experience with that brand.

AK4wheeler

1 - 10 of 10 Posts