2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a Mopar tow hitch. Do I have to install the Mopar wiring or can I use a flat 4 pin and tie into the rear lights? Have read that it can cause issues by doing it that way. $193 for wiring set is sorta steep. I have a 2014 TH with the 2.4

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yes...I agree that it is ridiculous that the wiring costs more than the hitch itself. Then you have to take the Jeep to the stealership to have them program the PCM/BCM to turn on the harness.

When installing the hitch on my 2019, I found that e-trailer has a stand alone wiring kit that is independent of the car wiring. This is what I did. It was an easy install. It uses a battery lead to power the unit and uses a tap from each taillight to control the trailer wiring. Issue is it does not fit the OEM wiring mount in the hitch, so you will have to custom make a mount for the 4-pin harness (unless you don't mind dangling wires...I don't. It's a pet peeve of mine).

It is a Tekonsha T-One Vehicle Harness with 4-pole Connector.

Good Luck

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Turning the harness on is not an issue. One of my tech is a programmer and I bought the HP Tuning software. Just kills me to pay the price for a set of wire. :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
It uses a battery lead to power the unit and uses a tap from each taillight to control the trailer wiring.
I'm in same boat...what route did you take from battery to rear of vehicle? I cannot find a "clean" way of doing it. Normally I follow wheel wells, behind rocker panels, etc., but cannot find a way of doing that without dissembling entirely too much. I was wondering if I could just tap into the 12v switched plug in the cargo area, which is basically 2' away from where I need to connect power to the controller.

Currently really regretting not spending more time finding a Cherokee with the factory tow package. I did not think I would need it on my wife's car, now I have reasons to want a hitch and need the trailer wiring. Ugh...7 hours into this damn hitch/wiring project and still not done because of needing this power source.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just saw in a video where there is a rubber plug I could go through to gain access to the 12v power source in cargo area. Debating doing that instead of running allll the way to battery as shown in this video. Guess I should find out what type of fuse is on it; my controller requires 15A. Otherwise, guess I'll be removing the panels under vehicle to properly route the wire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in same boat...what route did you take from battery to rear of vehicle? I cannot find a "clean" way of doing it. Normally I follow wheel wells, behind rocker panels, etc., but cannot find a way of doing that without dissembling entirely too much. I was wondering if I could just tap into the 12v switched plug in the cargo area, which is basically 2' away from where I need to connect power to the controller.

Currently really regretting not spending more time finding a Cherokee with the factory tow package. I did not think I would need it on my wife's car, now I have reasons to want a hitch and need the trailer wiring. Ugh...7 hours into this damn hitch/wiring project and still not done because of needing this power source.
I ended up using an aftermarket harness. Wired into the brake and taillights. Ran the cable to the battery underneath the truck. Tucked and zip tied it and its pretty safe and secure.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I went under the vehicle on the driver's side like Fish Hunter did.

AK4wheeler

·
Registered
45 Posts
Crap. Was hoping to avoid that, my body cannot handle much more crawling around on concrete since I don't have a lift to use. I am 34, feel like I've aged 30 years since I did this stuff on my vehicles without any pain in my 20s!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts