2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When making a left hand turn, be conscious of how far you push the go pedal down. If you engage the turbo while executing the turn, it really wakes you up!:oops:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Looks like you discovered "turbo lag". Yes, it can (and still does) take me by surprise sometimes.

Reactions: NScherry

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
I bet that would be a lot of fun on a frozen lake, some serious 4 wheel drifting!!! LOL...😎

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only left hand turns? I have the v6 so I'll never experience the turbo lag. Why no turbo lag in right hand turns, just curious.
Most of the time I am turning left in front of oncoming traffic, once in awhile you mis judge how fast a a vehicle is coming towards you and it requires a little more juice than usual. Right turn and pressing hard on the accelerator pedal would have the same effect.

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Registered
873 Posts
Looks like you discovered "turbo lag". Yes, it can (and still does) take me by surprise sometimes.
Simple solution is to hold the brake with the left foot, and press the accelerator gently to about 2k rpm before letting off the brake. No More Lag!! :oops: :LOL:

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
433 Posts
It's part turbo lag, but most of it is from the poor tuning. If I cruising at say 30 to 40 mph, and then I give it a good amount of gas (say 75% throttle), it'll take it at least a second or two before it even responses, and and then another second before you feel the power. So the delay, plus the turbo lag, makes it feel worse. When the 2L was introduced in the wrangler, it had their mild hybrid system that was suppose to give like 100 ish more torque down low, which I figured is what would make up for that. Obviously the KL doesn't have the mild hybrid so you feel it more. My other thought was they just decided to go soft on brining in the torque since the 2L makes about 23% more torque than the 3.2, and the KL already has issues destroying PTUs.

Reactions: NScherry

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Simple solution is to hold the brake with the left foot, and press the accelerator gently to about 2k rpm before letting off the brake. No More Lag!! :oops: :LOL:
BUT, I don't want the turbo to kick in, LOL. My 79 Trans Am I could kick her down turning left, light up the tires and drive up the street in a controlled drift. That was when I was 23. Now that I'm 65 I don't want that much torque going to the front wheels when turning. Especially when your wife is in the passenger seat asking "what the hell was that?".

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
It's part turbo lag, but most of it is from the poor tuning. If I cruising at say 30 to 40 mph, and then I give it a good amount of gas (say 75% throttle), it'll take it at least a second or two before it even responses, and and then another second before you feel the power. So the delay, plus the turbo lag, makes it feel worse.
I've counted out 4+ seconds of no response in that scenario. I agree that's not all turbo lag!

Go to pass car, foot down, 1, 2, 3,... too late!

What I've learned to compensate is to hang back a bit, then gently accelerate in anticipation of passing. Then when time to pass the acceleration is nearly instant.

Shame to have to "learn" how to work around the poor tuning. Good thing it's only in that narrow band (30-40 mph). There are a few other quirks with acceleration, but none that are that noticeable - or annoying.

Other than that I'm enjoying the turbo. Loving the cruise control - tightest hold on speed of any vehicle I've owned, even in the mountains.

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
1,508 Posts
I don't experience issues with the turbo, I find it much more responsive than the '13 EcoBoost 2.0 I traded in.
Of course, I have been driving turbos on and off for 30+ years, so I may just have the way to use the throttle in muscle memory...:cool:

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
4,953 Posts
I don't experience issues with the turbo, I find it much more responsive than the '13 EcoBoost 2.0 I traded in.
Of course, I have been driving turbos on and off for 30+ years, so I may just have the way to use the throttle in muscle memory...:cool:
That's exactly right. No turbo lag with the correct throttle control. You just have to use a little different approach on throttle. I've never had an issue either...😎

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
64 Posts
It's part turbo lag, but most of it is from the poor tuning. If I cruising at say 30 to 40 mph, and then I give it a good amount of gas (say 75% throttle), it'll take it at least a second or two before it even responses, and and then another second before you feel the power. So the delay, plus the turbo lag, makes it feel worse. When the 2L was introduced in the wrangler, it had their mild hybrid system that was suppose to give like 100 ish more torque down low, which I figured is what would make up for that. Obviously the KL doesn't have the mild hybrid so you feel it more. My other thought was they just decided to go soft on brining in the torque since the 2L makes about 23% more torque than the 3.2, and the KL already has issues destroying PTUs.
I don't think its the tune persay. You're getting a slight delay from the electronic throttle body and the computer deciding what you're telling the engine to do on top of the turbo lag. Throttle just isn't instantaneous like the old day with cable linkages.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I don't think its the tune persay. You're getting a slight delay from the electronic throttle body and the computer deciding what you're telling the engine to do on top of the turbo lag. Throttle just isn't instantaneous like the old day with cable linkages.
What @MikeR. is describing is a "notch" issue. Speed up > 45 MPH, slow down to 30-40 MPG, then hit the gas. In all other scenarios, there is the familiar turbo lag. In this case it's downright scary. As he said, there can be several seconds before the rush of power. I've counted 4+ seconds which is a VERY long time when you are wanting to pass someone. It's 100% consistent and repeatable too, once you know where the notch is. There would need to be engine response before there would be turbo lag. In this case, the engine response is significantly delayed.

Tune? Maybe not the right term for it. My guess is there is a transmission downshift delay that is keeping the throttle at bay. Maybe the infamous 3-2 shift issue? Unfortunately, that delay is very annoying.

Today I hit the pedal at about 65 MPH to pass someone. Since this thread was still fresh in my mind I paid close attention to the engine speed, the turbo whine, and the rush of power. There's a delay, but it's less than a second. More like push, one-onethou.. BOOM! The good old turbo lag - no more, no less.

Reactions: 1coopgt61

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
What @MikeR is describing is a "notch" issue. Speed up > 45 MPH, slow down to 30-40 MPG, then hit the gas. In all other scenarios, there is the familiar turbo lag. In this case it's downright scary. As he said, there can be several seconds before the rush of power. I've counted 4+ seconds which is a VERY long time when you are wanting to pass someone. It's 100% consistent and repeatable too, once you know where the notch is. There would need to be engine response before there would be turbo lag. In this case, the engine response is significantly delayed.

Tune? Maybe not the right term for it. My guess is there is a transmission downshift delay that is keeping the throttle at bay. Maybe the infamous 3-2 shift issue? Unfortunately, that delay is very annoying.

Today I hit the pedal at about 65 MPH to pass someone. Since this thread was still fresh in my mind I paid close attention to the engine speed, the turbo whine, and the rush of power. There's a delay, but it's less than a second. More like push, one-onethou.. BOOM! The good old turbo lag - no more, no less.
FWIW : this happens with the V6 too. Can't remember the exact speed, but I've had 3 seconds of... dead... with the right foot down.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
433 Posts
I checked it in alfa to see what it was doing since I couldn't feel it. It's mainly under the scenario where you are coasting then give it a fair amount of gas. You can see the torque climb instantly, but you just don't feel it till its at about max torque. I'll try and get some screen records of this tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts