2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'21 Trailhawk 3.2 v6 Granite Crystal Metallic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 mos back I was coming down Antero Mtn Jeep Trail in BV Colorado when I encountered a very sharp arrow-shaped 10" boulder that sliced through my stock Destination AT2 sidewall with ease. I'm convinced it would have sliced a much thicker sidewall as well, but hard to tell when you only have 4ply. Fast forward to today, I've made the decision to upgrade to Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws - and will add a 2" Lift/Level before winter. I've had the Wildpeaks on our old 2011 Grand Cherokee Summit and they were absolutely amazing.

The main decision is if I go XL 6ply or E 10ply. I'm leaning towards the XL in 245/70r17 due to similar weight to stock Destination's - ~33lbs 245/65r17 Destination AT2 vs ~40lbs 245/70r17 AT3W. However, the LT provides much more sidewall protection, going from 6ply to 10ply. I don't do a ton of "wheeling", however, I want protection when I need it. We utilize the offroad capabilities pretty regularly for our normal adventures and having a tire fail is the last thing I need. I never had an issue with our old AT3W in 6ply, however, the LT version that provides 10ply sidewalls would be superior, but ~48lbs per tire.

Has anyone installed the LT load range E vs the XL load range on their trail hawks with adverse results?

I'm trying to keep weight to a minimum for commuting and drivetrain purposes, but when compared to a BFG K02 of the same size, weighing in at ~47lbs for 245/70r17, it seems like the LT version of the Wildpeaks isn't that crazy of a thought?

Full Aside - Has anyone put a 245/70r17 on a full-size normal rim in their spare tire compartment? I'm hoping to buy an extra and do a full 5-wheel rotation.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,009 Posts
I think the Wildpeaks in a 245/70 are actually about 35lbs. I know 15lbs doesn't seem like much, but it's huge on our somewhat fragile drivetrain, and like @AZJeeper said, the LT is designed for much heavier vehicles than our KL's. It will ride like an old dump truck, compared to the XL. I run the Toyo A/T III's in 245/70's in a 110T XL, and have had zero issues. Also the 245/70/17 will fit in the spare tire compartment...😎

·
Registered
62 Posts
... but for our Trailhawk I chose the Toyo Open Country A/T III 245/70R17 in metric versus LT specifically for its lighter weight and softer ride.
Had those on my Willy's Wrangler. They were MUCH, MUCH better than the Firestone M/T that it came with. Had 6 ply Wildpeaks on my 4Runner, they were FANTASTIC!!! quiet, great ride, did what I asked them to do off road.

I second or third the opinion the "E" tires will ride too rough on a KL, UNLESS you a building the KL for primarily off-road use, in which case I'd suggest a Wrangler.

Full Aside - Has anyone put a 245/70r17 on a full-size normal rim in their spare tire compartment? I'm hoping to buy an extra and do a full 5-wheel rotation.
I have a 245/70 17 Destination on a Trailhawk Alloy rim as my spare. I will not do a 5-tire rotation as it does not have a TPMS, and it's a pain to remove & replace. In the Trailhawk it fits just fine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If you take E at3 down the road and you dont keep the pressure low enough I dare say you will literally break the car eventually. the seam sealing, the body work, isnt that high quality and the ride isnt that good already, and the roads keep getting brokener lol, and the plastics...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts