2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying some tire chains for offroad driving in snow. But my offroad tires are 265/65/17 (30.55" diameter) and I already have basically no gap between the tire and the wheel arch when the tire is turned all the way. My concern is that the chain will just eat up the wheel arch.

Thoughts?

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
I'm thinking of buying some tire chains for offroad driving in snow. But my offroad tires are 265/65/17 (30.55" diameter) and I already have basically no gap between the tire and the wheel arch when the tire is turned all the way. My concern is that the chain will just eat up the wheel arch.

Thoughts?
I think that's very probable. You need a couple inches of safe clearance. Are the Ridge Grapplers not working for you in the snow???馃槑

Registered
How deep of snow are you driving in?

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think that's very probable. You need a couple inches of safe clearance. Are the Ridge Grapplers not working for you in the snow???馃槑
I use michelin xice xi2 235/65/17 in the snow which are actually smaller than the stock firestones, but they are not offroad tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reactions: AtlCade69

Registered
I use michelin xice xi2 in the snow which are actually smaller than the stock firestones, but they are not offroad tires.
Like what size. 235/65/17's?

Registered
Cable chains expand out as you drive, anything they impacts get beat to hell, even the rubber chain tensioners help but done stop it, I bought the latitude rims with slightly smaller tires, they are posted in the forsale section, that way I could run chains

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Registered
You can probably chain those up, but you need to know what you are doing with them, I've seen a thrown chain literally tear a fender off, among other things. Proper fit, and installation is huge to prevent SERIOUS DAMAGE from occurring. Only thing we use chains for around here, is pulling people out of the ditch, and the occasional tree stump...LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
i have real chains for the tractor, but I assume we are talking some kind of low profile cable chains?

Registered
i have real chains for the tractor, but I assume we are talking some kind of low profile cable chains?
No, I think he's talking about actual chains...馃槑

Registered
Ya, if he's going up into something that he needs chains, it's probably not a good idea to even get yourself into the situation, cuz something bad usually happens!!! I've chained up a few times through the years, and it was always to get out of a bad situation, not to get into one...LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what confuses me about the manual (setting aside the fact that they say only permitted with 225/65/17 size) is "maximum projection of 9mm beyond the tire profile". Does that mean the chains when the wheel is at rest can't stick out more than 9mm in any direction (top/side/etc.) or just some directions? Does that apply to max projection when the wheel is turning? etc. It is very unclear. And the makers of the chains usually state something like "5.5mm chain diameter" or "minimum 16mm internal clearance required" (is that in one direction, or on both sides of the tire, etc.) which doesn't exactly explain how it maps to the cherokee manual.

The etrailer website for what it's worth says that a set of chains "Konig Standard Snow Tire Chains - Diamond Pattern - D Link - XB16 - Size 250" with required 16mm clearance have been confirmed to fit a 2014-2018 cherokee trailhawk with stock wheels and tires. So either their website is not confirming fit properly, or the jeep manual is overly cautious.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts