2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've decided on tires and wheels for my 2017 Limited FWD and was wondering if anyone can confirm the fitment for me.

Tires -
NITTO
TERRA GRAPPLER AT
P 255 /70 R17

Wheels -
MB WHEELS
CRUX
17 X7.5 5-110.00 40

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I've decided on tires and wheels for my 2017 Limited FWD and was wondering if anyone can confirm the fitment for me.

Tires -
NITTO
TERRA GRAPPLER AT
P 255 /70 R17

Wheels -
MB WHEELS
CRUX
17 X7.5 5-110.00 40
It does have the RC 2" "Lift" if that matters
And if they wont work, let me know if you have any suggestions

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
5,481 Posts

Tires -
NITTO
TERRA GRAPPLER AT
P 255 /70 R17

Wheels -
MB WHEELS
CRUX
17 X7.5 5-110.00 40
Those tires will NOT fit on a +40 offset wheel. They will likely have an inside rub, like on the suspension, and 255/70's could still possibly rub on the front fender trim, and liner. 245/70's on +30 offset is the max "safe zone". It's still not a Trailhawk...😎

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Those tires will NOT fit on a +40 offset wheel. They will likely have an inside rub, like on the suspension, and 255/70's could still possibly rub on the front fender trim, and liner. 245/70's on +30 offset is the max "safe zone". It's still not a Trailhawk...😎
1/2'' spacers might help here. I know you're not a fan of spacers in general (neither am I), but 1/2'' is just enough to mimic a TH wheel when coupled to a non TH wheel (TH wheel having +31mm offset). Having said that, 255/70s do sound kinda big... but I have no direct experience.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
1/2'' spacers might help here. I know you're not a fan of spacers in general (neither am I), but 1/2'' is just enough to mimic a TH wheel on a non TH wheel (TH wheel having +31mm offset). Having said that, 255/70s do sound kinda big... but I have no direct experience.
Yes, it's a FWD, with what is quite surely a 2.4. You know me Mark, I don't recommend going bigger than 245/70's on Trailhawks with a lift, and most of us all know why. Not sure why the wheels he's looking at don't come in a +30
Unless you're looking at street performance wheels, most SUV and light truck wheels are mostly +30's in 17x8 5x110's. Now, where the questions start is going by manufacturer and distributor fitment guides, for whatever reason, they all seem to recommend, and pull up the +40's in the product search, even for Trailhawks...Tire Rack, and Carid are the worst culprits. They're probably going to sell more KL wheels if they would fix that...😎

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Yes, it's a FWD, with what is quite surely a 2.4. You know me Mark, I don't recommend going bigger than 245/70's on Trailhawks with a lift, and most of us all know why. Not sure why the wheels he's looking at don't come in a +30
Unless you're looking at street performance wheels, most SUV and light truck wheels are mostly +30's in 17x8 5x110's. Now, where the questions start is going by manufacturer and distributor fitment guides, for whatever reason, they all seem to recommend, and pull up the +40's in the product search, even for Trailhawks...Tire Rack, and Carid are the worst culprits. They're probably going to sell more KL wheels if they would fix that...😎
Just a guess here, but perhaps some wheel manufacturers know their wheels are not robust enough for offroad use, so they shy away from certain applications (like a TH). OP's MB wheels look really nice, but they are more a street wheel with a thin spoke structure :

I would not do semi-serious offroading with a wheel like that, to be honest... I'd be afraid to break one.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Just a guess here, but perhaps some wheel manufacturers know their wheels are not robust enough for offroad use, so they shy away from certain applications (like a TH). OP's MB wheels look really nice, but they are more a street wheel with a thin spoke structure :

I would not do semi-serious offroading with a wheel like that, to be honest... I'd be afraid to break one.
Not the best design for Mall Crawling on pretty seriously oversized tires either...😉😎

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I'm going to pull the trigger on those black Arsenals pretty soon, I think...LOL!!!😎

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So sounds like I should be looking for a 17x8 with +30 offset and maybe 245/65-70/17's?

Something like the
HANKOOK
DYNAPRO AT2 RF11
245 /65 R17
for the tires?
or just the nittos but smaller like the
NITTO
TERRA GRAPPLER G2
245 /65 R17

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
So sounds like I should be looking for a 17x8 with +30 offset and maybe 245/65-70/17's?

Something like the
HANKOOK
DYNAPRO AT2 RF11
245 /65 R17
for the tires?
or just the nittos but smaller like the
NITTO
TERRA GRAPPLER G2
245 /65 R17
Wheel can be 7'' to 8.5'' wide for a 245 tire. 7.5'' or 8'' are both perfectly fine.

If you can't find a wheel you like with a +30 or +31mm offset, then a +40 to +42mm offset wheel can do, but you'd need 1/2'' spacers to compensate. With 1/2'' spacers you'd need longer lug bolts (40mm shank instead of 28mm like the OEM bolts have). The offset is important so that a 245 tire won't rub against struts.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
You can do the 245/70's with your lift, and +30-31ish offset wheels. Lots and lots of tire choices available in that size. If you stick with +40's, you'll need 1/2" spacers as @Mark_ mentioned...😎

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Can i Run a +20 or +35 offset?
No on the +20, that might cause rubbing as well, just in a different place.
+35 would be unknown territory for me, with your setup. Why not stick with +30 or +31, or +40 -ish with a 1/2'' spacer ?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
+20 would stick out too far, and most likely cause a rub, and as far as +35, I don't think I've ever seen one. Usually most aftermarket wheels are in offsets of 10. You would be in between a Trailhawk stance, and stock. Could still limit you to a smaller tire...😎

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No on the +20, that might cause rubbing as well, just in a different place.
+35 would be unknown territory for me, with your setup. Why not stick with +30 or +31, or +40 -ish with a 1/2'' spacer ?
I cant seem to find the right offset so i need 1/2 in spacers and was wondering if you know where i get them

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can do the 245/70's with your lift, and +30-31ish offset wheels. Lots and lots of tire choices available in that size. If you stick with +40's, you'll need 1/2" spacers as @Mark_ mentioned...😎
I cant seem to find the right offset so i need 1/2 in spacers and was wondering if you know where i get them

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
There's literally hundreds to choose from in 17". You are going to be limited in the 18's though, and even more limited in A/T tire choices in 245/60/18's which is going to be the biggest safe size, a 30.5. That's what I run on my lifted Trailhawk, 245/70/17's, and I have an extra inch or so of suspension than your Limited. I would still recommend the 17" wheels, and 245/65/17s. 245/70's could be pushing the envelope on your FWD Limited...😎

1 - 18 of 18 Posts