2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went around and inspected my cherokee before a trip in 2 weeks. Noticed grease around the drive shaft. I cleaned it up, took it out in 4lo around a field and didn't hear any abnormal noises and did not see any new grease around the area. I'm still within the powertrain warranty.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Went around and inspected my cherokee before a trip in 2 weeks. Noticed grease around the drive shaft. I cleaned it up, took it out in 4lo around a field and didn't hear any abnormal noises and did not see any new grease around the area. I'm still within the powertrain warranty.
View attachment 214510
I would take it in while it's still under warranty...Great catch and inspection!!! I thought I was anal??? LOL!!!馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would take it in while it's still under warranty...Great catch and inspection!!! I thought I was anal??? LOL!!!馃槑
Lol, after my buddy had a tie rod come loose and tear up his CV on his GX470 I kinda inspect a bit more now before hitting the trails. I will schedule an appointment to have it looked at when we get back from our trip. I also found that both my lower ball joints are torn and leaking.

Registered
I had my underside sprayed with fluid film to protect from rust so I probably will never know if I get a leaking driveshaft since it is all black goo underneath at this point.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Yea, I'm not worried about it for this trip. I have 7k left of powertrain warranty, so I'm taking it in when I get back. I rather them put a new drive shaft before the warranty runs out.
That's smart thinking...馃槑

Registered
chock the wheels, put it in neutral, turn it off, so that there is no tension on it, grab it & try to make it move. if there's no wiggle, it's safe to drive. if there's any play at all, it should be replaced at some point. when my drive shafts or 1/2 shafts etc have gone, on my 4Runners & this Jeep, there's always vibration. I was under the 4Runners more often, 1st because there actually room for my body but also because of all the zerk fittings to grease. I guess you never forget your 1st driveshaft. still remember getting the call & taking the company taxi to check it out ... good times

btw - if you can find them, there are more posts of that exact oil/grease spray. I rem,ember a cpl, at least. there may be info in those threads that can put you mind at ease

1 - 8 of 8 Posts