2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Okay so update:
-Ticking got louder and synchronized with acceleration so as the car accelerated the ticking was faster
- Got a smell of gas when initially turning on plus a whine that happens for about 30 seconds
Went to autozone to see if there was any codes saved but there wasn't but as soon as I left, auto-stop/start was disabled and the car was misfiring. As soon as I went back, scanner read cylinder 5 misfire. THe autozone notes said that it could be coils or sparkplug but I just did sparkplugs so I'm taking back where it was done tomorrow.

· Registered
56 Posts
2021 Trailhawk w/16.5k miles started up with the ticking and knocking yesterday AM. Goes in Monday.

· Registered
56 Posts
Check the engine oil level after it has not been run for a long while.
Seems to be very low mileage to be having rocker bearing failure.

Did the rock rails come from the factory? I had to do my rock rails as a dealer installed accessory.
First thing I did was check the oil. Full. Sat overnight. Next morning sounded like a spun bearing. As the engine warms up, the sound quiets to a light knock, and a tick. I was waiting for this to happen. Bad noises on a cold start up for a few seconds. Dealer could not reproduce the issue, I told them it will get worse.

Rock rails were factory installed. At least they were on the window sticker.

Edit to add: Where would that much oil go? Nothing on the floor… No blue smoke?

Reactions: sanghill
21 - 27 of 27 Posts