2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
4,567 Posts
which engine? how many miles? do you tow? how often do you change your oil filter and oil?
Dinosaur oil or synthetic oil? Does it meet FCAs MS... specification?
I didn't hear anything abnormal but I am tone deaf.
I have never actually heard the tic sound in person.
There may be other videos with audio for comparison on other FCA sites for vehicles with the 3.6L engine.
An automotive type stethoscope may be helpful in pin pointing the source of the tic.
I don't think you can get to the valve cover unless you remove the upper and/or lower intake manifolds.
I think if the cam followers are worn out it is apparent from visual inspection.
FCA dealerships should be experts on this by now, apparently it happens way too often.

· Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
which engine? how many miles? do you tow? how often do you change your oil filter and oil?
Dinosaur oil or synthetic oil? Does it meet FCAs MS... specification?
I didn't hear anything abnormal but I am tone deaf.
I have never actually heard the tic sound in person.
There may be other videos with audio for comparison on other FCA sites for vehicles with the 3.6L engine.
An automotive type stethoscope may be helpful in pin pointing the source of the tic.
I don't think you can get to the valve cover unless you remove the upper and/or lower intake manifolds.
I think if the cam followers are worn out it is apparent from visual inspection.
FCA dealerships should be experts on this by now, apparently it happens way too often.
3.2, 105k, changed every 5k or so. Synthetic 80 percent of the time. No towing.

· Registered
4,567 Posts
That is all good news. My 2014 V6 TH only has 95k miles and I go off road.
Most of the time it just sits around collecting rust. When I drive it, I drive it pretty hard.
Sure hope these engines don't have rocker arm problems with so few miles.
Hopefully somebody with a better ear than me will reply.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
Sorry, but this is not “unheard” of. Here are just a few threads on the subject, including some recordings.

· Registered
321 Posts
My 2015 v6 started with a ticking sound, at approx. 60k. At 75k miles it sounded just like a diesel engine. = Complete engine replacement. Hope this new one has some type of improved redesign.. I cant hear the ticking on your video. When I would drive up the hill to my house it would knock very loudly. Funny how you get used to things, when the new engine was put in I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Good luck

Reactions: sanghill

· Registered
13,166 Posts
My 2015 v6 started with a ticking sound, at approx. 60k. At 75k miles it sounded just like a diesel engine. = Complete engine replacement. Hope this new one has some type of improved redesign.. I cant hear the ticking on your video. When I would drive up the hill to my house it would knock very loudly. Funny how you get used to things, when the new engine was put in I couldn't believe how quiet it was. Good luck
I can hear some ticking in the video, but I'm not sure it is abnormal. Pretty sure mine (3.2) does roughly the same. That said, I had a problem corrected last summer which caused knocking (below 2000 RPM under specific engine load conditions) and intermittent heavy ticking, usually at start-up. My problem turned out to be something no one else on this forum seems to have had (and Google didn't point me to others with a 3.2 or 3.6 either) : I had an oil leak into a spark plug well from a gasket inside the valve cover. This type of leak is a known problem (not very prevalent), but I couldn't find anyone else out there who had engine knock associated to it. Master tech said it could cause it (oil inside coil pack tube), and it was fixed with a new gasket, so... But like I said, my problem is rare and the OP here has a mild (benign ?) tick, nothing like the chatter/ticking/knockinig I had.

· Registered
648 Posts
@Thatguy15 I can hear the ticking in your video. Over time it will get worse if its failing roller rockers. Eventually it will score the camshaft and cause a mil for a misfire code. Whatever you do make sure whichever mechanic you use replaces ALL roller rockers. If they only do a few that have failed you will be chasing your tail after a few thousand miles and its back again but on a different cylinder. My FCA dealer replaced only one side of the V and not less than 10k miles later the other side of the V had ones that were failing as well.

I was also seeing metal shavings on my oil filter which pointed me to the same issue once again. The second time the ticking was not as loud as the first. Very similar to yours currently. Best of luck but get it looked at asap to avoid further damage.

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
Metal filings are never a good thing. Has anyone found a magnetic drain plug? I have not been successful.
I'm not sure if our oil pans are even steel or not, but if they are just find a small, powerful magnet and stick it to the oil pan somewhere close to the drain plug. It's going to catch the steel and iron shavings, and when you pull the drain plug, remove the magnet and MOST will flow out with the oil. Can't do much about the aluminum, and other non magnetic materials in a modern engine, which just happens to be most of it. Whatever works right???😎

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
???🤔
I think I'd still find a mechanics stethoscope, and give those rocker banks a listen...I ain't buying it. Sounds like Service Advisors BS diversion talk to me...JMO...😎

· Registered
648 Posts
Yep agreed that ticking is WAY too loud to be fuel injectors. Personally I would get a second opinion. Especially since how common the roller rockers fail on higher mile pentastar engines.

If you want take a video with the hood open and engine cover removed. That is the best way to hear the ticking under a valve cover.

· Registered
9 Posts
Getting this ticking sound from the engine. From reading here, it may be the rocker arms but wanted to just get a sense of if other people have heard this too
Hi! I noticed mine was making that noise as well. I made a recording and it sounds exactly like yours. I was worried for a bit, but I think that is normal. I only hear it with the hood up. I live in an apartment area and have noticed neighbor cars idling after an auto start and I hear the same noise even with their hoods closed, Fords, etc.

Someone posted a link with a ticking that sounded REALLY bad. I have a 2016 Cherokee Altitude 4x4 with the 3.2 engine. Have 53k on it. My power train warranty expires next month. I’d like to take it in, but just started a new job and with all the training, won’t have any time. But I am feeling that what you posted is a normal sound.
Unless someone wants to record theirs making no ticking like that at all. Then I’d be concerned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts