2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I own a 2019 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk (not Elite), automatic 3.2L 6. I want to install a throttle delay eliminating device.
I know I could throw it into manual mode which would require me to think fast. Or I could switch to sport mode which only goes up to 5th gear.
I had one of these installed in a Ford Escape I used to drive and it worked very well. It even had several optional settings.
If you would, please recommend and share your experience with such a device in a similar vehicle to my Cherokee? I really would like to simply step on the accelerator and go with less hesitation without performing any invasive modifications and/or tuning. Thanks in advance for any information.
Karl

·
Registered
727 Posts
Do you mean a plug-in throttle booster? You can’t change the PCM‘s control of throttle opening speed without getting into the PCM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. The one I used to own plugged in at the accelerator pedal. It had a satellite remote to change modes.
You’re saying something like this wouldn’t work for this particular vehicle?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is likely impossible. The ones plugged into the pedal do not eliminate the delay. There may be a chance if you had an unlocked TCM and PCM to improve things, but I doubt that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sqenixs. My experience with the one I owned was this: My understanding of the harness I plugged in at the pedal was that it jumpered a couple of leads in the wiring harness itself. It simply tricked the computer into seeing the accelerator pressed down further than it actually was. It wasn’t technically savvy at all. If anyone was so inclined, they could figure it out and done it themselves. Mine was like $75. Snake oil for sure. But I liked how it worked and there was a difference in how the vehicle responded. I know this because I could turn it on and off and the car would lunge forward and lag while I was driving, which the instructions specifically said not to do. I had to see😂
Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
727 Posts
All the pulg-and-play throttle boosters do is to change the WOT signal from the pedal on the floor to WOT when the pedal is part way down. You could do the same thing just by pushing the pedal further, but some folks like only having to push half way to get WOT. If you like it there is nothing wrong with it, it just doesn’t actually remove the programmed delay in the throttle opening speed. That is controlled by the PCM, it isn’t like having a cable connecting the pedal to the TB.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly. Great explanation. This is what I’m interested in getting. I miss the throttle cable days. You stepped on the gas and the car moved without having to floor it.
Now that it’s been made clear what I am looking for, if anyone could recommend or share their opinion/experience of one they have or have had for the newer Cherokees, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Exactly. Great explanation. This is what I’m interested in getting. I miss the throttle cable days. You stepped on the gas and the car moved without having to floor it.
Now that it’s been made clear what I am looking for, if anyone could recommend or share their opinion/experience of one they have or have had for the newer Cherokees, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
There are other threads on here talking about this problem, the short answer is that nobody has done it on the new cherokees since all 2019+ are still under warranty. It is possible to improve the delay on older cherokees using a program like hpTuners, I believe. The issue with the new ones is that they have what is called a security gateway, so you must first bypass that, then you need to get an unlocked PCM. Based on my research the TCM is probably not locked but I'm unsure of that. Either way it will probably cost at least $1000.

·
Registered
435 Posts
There are other threads on here talking about this problem, the short answer is that nobody has done it on the new cherokees since all 2019+ are still under warranty. It is possible to improve the delay on older cherokees using a program like hpTuners, I believe. The issue with the new ones is that they have what is called a security gateway, so you must first bypass that, then you need to get an unlocked PCM. Based on my research the TCM is probably not locked but I'm unsure of that. Either way it will probably cost at least $1000.
I did it on a 2019 2.0T. there's probably 1-2 recent threads on it. Look up my recent post history. The pedal Commander didn't work out well for me. But another member with a V6 used that brand or another and was quite happy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I did it on a 2019 2.0T. there's probably 1-2 recent threads on it. Look up my recent post history. The pedal Commander didn't work out well for me. But another member with a V6 used that brand or another and was quite happy.
I purchased the pedal commander and it does nothing to solve the delay. To some people it might "feel" like it improved the delay but that is fake. I don't have data logging proof of this, however, all I did was do a bunch of runs using a stopwatch. Like others have said it just changes the pedal input value.

Are you saying you have hpTuners and you unlocked your vehicle? I was not aware of anyone who did that yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that question for me? If so then
Nah. I haven’t done anything yet. I was simply inquiring because I used to have a Sprint Booster in another car and was interested in getting one or something comparable to it for the Cherokee.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the V3 Sprint Booster in our 2014 TH 3.2V6 and we love it - my wife will now probably refuse to drive the car without it - so if it dies I'll have to get another one asap. I've explained how it works but again my wife refuses to believe it hasn't actually increased power - her comment is that it's "definitely somehow made the engine bigger".

THIS video sums it up - altho this guy is reviewing it in a wrangler it's much the same in our 2014 KL TH:

I have to say that it doesn't get rid of the snatch and grab that happens if you don't quite come to a full stop then try to accelerate - but it reduces it and makes it easier to cope with.

The actual fix for that snatch and grab - especially for freeway merging and general town triving is to use SNOW mode. Acceleration isn't as snappy as AUTO mode but the transmission behaves like a normal automatic car. The Sprint Booster GREATLY improves that lack of off the line acceleration in SNOW mode too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you! This was my exact experience with the one I used to have. I wanted to verify it worked the same on a Cherokee.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed the pedal commander 3 months ago. Plug and play. It worked as expected for the first 2 months then one night while driving in dense fog and rain my check engine light and the throttle lightning bolt came on and my car had no repsonse to me pressing the gas pedal, i coasted to a turnout had to disconnect the unit and remove from my car to get going again. Because of my experience i strongly dont recommend these devices. If they fail so does your ability to press the gas pedal. Highly unsafe. The throttle delay removal function was nice as the car drove like it should have but the risk out weighted the reward by far.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I installed a SPRINT BOOSTER V3 - not a Pedal Commander - about 15 months ago and it hasn't caused any issues.

These aren't all the same unit bought in from China by various companies and rebadged -they're different units developed by different companies / teams of people.

It's definitely worth keeping in mind the potential hazards such as unit failure adversely affecting control of the car of course - all I can do is relate my own (positive so far) experience - but anyone looking at using one of these kinds of devices need to decide themselves whether the level of risk is acceptable.

FWIW - for OP or others who ever do decide to get a Sprint Booster, here's a video of the exact same type of accel pedal connector (connector released at 0:46 onward):

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. The only issue I ever had with the Sprint Booster I had was of my own doing. I kept the remote under the middle front console. It fell on the passenger side floor and I had a shopping bag there also. Some items fell out of the bag and were rolling around on the floor. To me, the transmission was acting funny. I started to notice it when I would take turns or swerve. Then I saw a wire where I’d never seen one before. Then dawned on me. Derp!🤪 A bottle or can was rolling back and forth changing its setting.
I liked it very much and wanted to know anyone else’s experience with one of these devices. I’ve only heard of SB and PC brands before. I think I’ve made a decision and be a repeat customer and get the SB for the Cherokee. I may just wait a few weeks until all this quarantine and working from home stuff passes. Thanks again and everybody stay safe and healthy.

·
Registered
613 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts