2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got most of the wiring in place, but possibly hit a snag - the Amp's C3 connector (the 10 pin/smaller one) seems to have it's pinouts reversed (numbering wise) from the other 2 connectors.
The plug/harness side didn't have good numbering on it (the C1 and C2 ones did) and I just wired it using the same order as the other 2. When I looked at the socket on the amp, the numbering was clearly different. So now I need to verify the connections, especially important as that one has the sensor on it. So, luckily, I did have pictures of the Amp with the pigtails before I started tinkering. I was able to verify that the pinouts are, indeed reversed. Crazy engineering! I drew a diagram to use (and to share, if anyone else tries this - @JRBARNES - thought of you, in case this might be your issue.)

Reactions: ArizonaFred

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
OK, got it all wired up, all 9 speakers and sub... waiting now to see if the radio learns the amp. Fingers crossed - trying 1st to see if it will do it without bypassing the Security Gateway Module...

One quick note (I may post separately as well) if you remove the upper dash cubby, you can access the Security Gateway Module - WITHOUT REMOVING THE RADIO!!!
You 1st need to pop the center speaker grille with a panel trim tool, The cubby is held by 6 screws, 4 to the windshield side and 2 in under the rubber tray, it just lifts out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Update 2
So, no sound, flashing odometer. :confused:, next step is with the SGM bypass, AlfaOBD - (newly purchased and licensed).
Flashing odo went away when plugged back into the ANC module.
Another side-note on the center cubby, the center speaker grille attaches (only) to the cubby. So you can keep the cubby/grille loosely placed back in the dash without screwing it down, will make it easier to tinker with the SGM.
I did briefly try to play with the AlfaOBD (windows version) and my MX, while the module paired to my laptop, I was unable to establish a connection to it from AlfaOBD. Time for a break, long weekend to play with it though. Just need to do a bit of research as to the connection settings. I CAN connect to my old TorquePro app on my mobile...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Update 2
So, no sound, flashing odometer. :confused:, next step is with the SGM bypass, AlfaOBD - (newly purchased and licensed).
Flashing odo went away when plugged back into the ANC module.
Another side-note on the center cubby, the center speaker grille attaches (only) to the cubby. So you can keep the cubby/grille loosely placed back in the dash without screwing it down, will make it easier to tinker with the SGM.
I did briefly try to play with the AlfaOBD (windows version) and my MX, while the module paired to my laptop, I was unable to establish a connection to it from AlfaOBD. Time for a break, long weekend to play with it though. Just need to do a bit of research as to the connection settings. I CAN connect to my old TorquePro app on my mobile...
You Sir, have far more patience than I...馃槈馃槑

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I may be doing an about face on this, it has been an interesting venture, and I have learned much about the Jeep, and its systems...

Looking at just bypassing the ANC (not sure I would lose that much without it) with a PAC ANC-CH01, upgrading the dash speakers to Alpine Type R Series SPR-10TW Tweeters (these come with tunable crossovers, and are matched to the Alpine Type R Series R-S69.2 speakers I already have in all 4 doors), and using a JBL 4086A (8-channel car Amplifier with Digital Signal Processing).
I don't need thumping system, so this will give me what I want. I figure that the added cost of the DSP Amp and Tweeters will be offset by by the impressive flexibility and tunability (which I can retune, if I want to change/update in the future, instead of trying to match to a factory amplifier), lots of time & potential costs at the dealership, and I have tons of point on Prime...

So I'll use:

The Alpine Crossovers on the Front Door Alpine Type R Series R-S69.2 6x9s and Alpine Type R Series SPR-10TW Tweeters for Channels 1 & 2
The Rear Door Alpine Type R Series R-S69.2 6x9s on Channels 3 & 4
The D Pillar Kicker 46CSC354 3.5s on Channels 5 & 6
The Jeep factory Alpine DVC Subwoofer on Channels 7 & 8

I had thought about just using Channel 8 for just one of the voice coils on the Sub (or running them in series on the Channel for 40 watts @ 4 ohms ) and using Channel 7 for a Front Center speaker, but I don't think the Center would add that much, if anything, to the system, and I would be upping the output to the Subs to 60 watts each @ 2 ohms by running each voice coil on a separate Channel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
Occam's Razor wins again...
After seeing all the challenges to going to the factory 9 amp, and the fact that nothing is tunable on that...
After trying to live with the volumes on the Nav, Android Auto, and uConnect bursting my eardrums each time starting the Jeep with the JBL 4086A ...
(other than that the JBL was great, but a bit lacking in Sub amplification, so I am hanging on to it in case Stellantis ever solves the volumes issue)...
And, realizing that the Alpine Type R 6x9s and Type R Tweeters sound awesome (I can't comfortable go above 15 on the volume with these)
on the uConnect 4C Nav HD system (maybe it has a bit more amplification than the base radios)...
I sat back and asked myself what the biggest fail on the 6 speaker system (after upgrading the speakers) was - the Bass and Sub Bass.
So, I looked at it just from the perspective of improving the low end, and the issue of the Bass Roll-off.
I already had the factory Sub (Dual Voice Coil @ 2 惟 each) and panel installed from the 1st 2 attempts, so I started there.

I looked at what kind of setup would solve:
1) The Bass Roll-off
2) Drive the factory subs in series or parallel
3) Have some overhead to upgrade either the subs or amp the speakers down the road
4) Potentially retain the ANC (UPDATE 1: I took it on the highway tonight (had to test) I will need to install the PAC ANC-CH01 Factory ANC Module Bypass Harness, I did get feedback from the ANC System at speed. Fortunately it is plug and play...)
5) Work with a potential use of the JBL

The simplest solution I found was the Kicker 47KEY500-1
It has:
1) Bass restoration
2) Speaker Load circuitry (for the no speaker detected)
3) 1 惟, 2 惟, and 4 惟 stable - I can wire the factory DVC in parallel to get 500 watts RMS x 1 at 1 惟, or in series to get 150 watts RMS x 1 at 4 惟 (in case the 500 watts was too much)
4) DC offset sensing turn-on
5) Adjustable Hi and Lo Pass filters
6) ESS stability
7) Key AI-driven DSP (haven't yet tried this)
8) Is compact, able to mount behind the glove box.

I installed the Kicker this weekend, the 8 ga power and ground were already run, I had the PAC ANC by-pass at the ready, if needed, and I was already familiar with the wiring.
Since the front speakers were already crossed-over with the tweeters, I tapped into the rears - BEFORE the ANC Module (hoping the ANC wouldn't back feed to this point).
Powered it up, gain set at about 30%, minimal boost.
Fantastic sound out of the factory Subwoofers! I was actually quite surprised, after being a bit underwhelmed with running 60 watts to each coil from the JBL, and much better than their output on the factory Alpine system (listened to them stock on another '19 Cherokee), plus I have more control over them.
Played Amazon HD Siouxsie and the Banshees 'Peek-a-Boo' (good deep bass in this)
I could control the output of the Subs just by controlling the Front/Rear Fade on the head, obvious improvement, no distortion.
Good balance maintained front to rear (set at the middle).
None of the ANC horror stories (still need to take it on the highway). (UPDATE 1: I took it on the highway tonight (had to test) I will need to install the PAC ANC-CH01 Factory ANC Module Bypass Harness, I did get feedback from the ANC System at speed. Fortunately it is plug and play...)
No ear-splitting secondary volume issues from the sub systems on start-up.

I'll follow up with a longer term review, but my initial assessment is that
All that is needed to upgrade the uConnect 4C Nav 6 Speaker System with ANC are some great replacement speakers like the Alpine Type R, the Kicker Key Mono Amp, and a Sub!
And it is so much simpler then my previous attempts, hence Occam's Razor - "other things being equal, simpler explanations are generally better than more complex ones"! 馃槉馃槑馃榿馃榾

UPDATE 1: I took it on the highway tonight (had to test) I will need to install the PAC ANC-CH01 Factory ANC Module Bypass Harness, I did get feedback from the ANC System at speed. Got muddier and muddier, I suppose I could unplug the mics, but the harness is so much easier (especially since I haven't screwed the glove box back in - it is remarkably solid with just the clips) Fortunately the bypass is plug and play...

Reactions: Cherokee4Me

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Update 2: I plugged in the PAC ANC-CH01 Factory ANC Module Bypass, huge difference, and I ran the Kicker Key setup, they really nailed it with this. My system is nicely dialed in, and I didn't notice much losing the ANC.
Played some Pink Floyd on the road, nice and crisp!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
You only need ANC if you have the radio off right? :p pretty worthless IMO.
might as well pipe in some hemi sounds.
I haven't noticed any difference since I disabled it. Except, that is, the improved audio! 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·

Registered
ANC only on 2.0 2019+
do you know if the 8.4 uconnect in a 2014 Cherokee trailhawk is any different than a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk? Assuming both have the base 6 speaker option?

reason I ask Is the pac amppro documentation says it鈥檚 only compatible with 2015-2021 Jeep Cherokee鈥檚 with the 8.4鈥 screen鈥 mine is a 2014 trailhawk with 8.4鈥 screen, on the back of my uconnect module/screen the model says 鈥淰P4 NA.鈥 I do have the factory navigation option.

i contacted pAc n they jus said the generic鈥漺ell the the document states What it鈥檚 compatible with鈥 so hence I have a hard time believing the 2014 vs 2015 uconnects are Just worlds apart. Fwiw I do read people with 2013 dodge rams and Chrysler vehicles that reported success鈥. Any thoughts?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
do you know if the 8.4 uconnect in a 2014 Cherokee trailhawk is any different than a 2015 Cherokee trailhawk? Assuming both have the base 6 speaker option?

reason I ask Is the pac amppro documentation says it鈥檚 only compatible with 2015-2021 Jeep Cherokee鈥檚 with the 8.4鈥 screen鈥 mine is a 2014 trailhawk with 8.4鈥 screen, on the back of my uconnect module/screen the model says 鈥淰P4 NA.鈥 I do have the factory navigation option.

i contacted pAc n they jus said the generic鈥漺ell the the document states What it鈥檚 compatible with鈥 so hence I have a hard time believing the 2014 vs 2015 uconnects are Just worlds apart. Fwiw I do read people with 2013 dodge rams and Chrysler vehicles that reported success鈥. Any thoughts?
I have a 2019 so I wouldn't know, perhaps some 2014 owners will chime in... :cool:

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
@ yodog
Which pac amppro are you using. The AP4-CH21, -CH31 and the -CH41(r2) all have different connections, but the same interface module. It might be which connector will fit your Jeep.
Just a thought

Registered
@ yodog
Which pac amppro are you using. The AP4-CH21, -CH31 and the -CH41(r2) all have different connections, but the same interface module. It might be which connector will fit your Jeep.
Just a thought
Pac amppro AP4-CH41(r.2)

the connector that comes with it looks correct as it is the exact one that would link up with my 8.4鈥 uconnect navigation.

No one else has a 2014 trailhawk with base sound system (non amplified), and installed or attempted to install a pac amppro ch41 r.2?

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
41 - 60 of 71 Posts