2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any One Have Any Thoughts On HERTZ Component Speakers?
I'm looking at at least upgrading my speakers, and these sounded pretty good to my ear.
I have the 6 speaker system, and am thinking of putting components front and rear, nice that the 6 system already has the grills for the D pillar speakers (and the front center).
So will put the rear tweeters in the D pillar location.

I haven't decided if I want or need to amp them, I'll wait until after I have had the new speakers for awhile.
Since I have the 2.0, I would want to keep the ANC active, so if I do amp the system, I'd rewire for the factory amp, I'm an engineer, so upgrading to the Jeep amp isn't as daunting to me. (I'm keeping an eye out for a used 2019+ factory amp - with pigtails - to pop up)

From a prior post of mine, I did find this interesting tidbit on the UConnect Radio:
I've been toying with updating my 6 speaker 4C Nav, and keeping the ANC. While researching, I found that the head unit 'looks for' the amplifier; If you put the factory amp into the car (fully wired, and on the data bus), you lock the Jeep via the fob (with the windows up) and leave it alone for 5-10 minutes, unlock it with the fob, then you lock the Jeep via the fob a second time (with the windows up) and leave it alone for another 5-10 minutes, unlock it with the fob, and it would be reconfigured to the amp! Reversing this is done the same way. (found this on the PAC-Audio site).

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts
I've upgraded my six speakers with all Rockford Fosgate 2-way and didn't realize the true potential until I added an Alpine 4-channel* amplifier. Not quite satisfied (and since the dash speaker depth was insufficient relative to the cover), I felt that the stock covers made the sound seem muffled.

I removed the six speakers again and sealed each speaker housing cavity with Retro Sound matting, then I cut openings in the four doors (3-1/2") and dash (2-5/8") and added aftermarket covers on the center of the existing baffles. The sound improvement is dramatic and I'm happy now.

*The dash and front door speakers are connected in parallel from the factory - everything is 4 ohm.

Reactions: AtlCade69

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update, I have a full set of speakers and sub, the amp (with pigtails) from a 2019 Cherokee Overland 2.0. During my research, I found that the radio is 'coded' for specific amp configurations, and that the '19+ Cherokee is especially finicky to being reconfigured. Probably due to having the radio on the the other side of the Security Gateway from the amplifier. Some other '19+ Jeeps (and other FCA) can be reconfigured by hooking up the amp, letting the car go to sleep for 10 minutes, cycle the ignition and then let it sleep again for another 10 minutes. It seems that the radio looks for a factory amp, and if sensed, the IHS Bus signals the radio to reconfigure its 4 channel output from a speaker output mode to a line out mode (my hope here is that the gateway is blocking this reconfiguration).
What I am thinking is that if I bypass the gateway, this process can occur on the Cherokee. I am trying this route 1st in an attempt to keep the ANC working on the 2.0, as well as restoring the low end that clipped on the 6 speaker system. It may also be a (cheap) proof of concept that the PAC Amp Pro might work, if needed, down the road. I am still looking at beefing up the speakers, but want to figure what system I am basing it on.
I'll keep you posted...

Reactions: greenmachine

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, found a deal on the Alpine R series 6x9 so ordered 2 pair! Figured this would be a necessary change regardless of any of the rest of the system configuration.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts
Sounds like you are on to something, good luck.

On the speakers, I would assume they are 4 ohm impedance so - from my experience - you want the 3-1/2" dash speakers to also be 4 ohm. I originally mixed Pioneer and Rockford, but didn't think they complemented each other very well.

Alpine likely has a good 3-1/2" speaker although I did not search that myself.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Agreed on the 3.5s, I wanted to wait and see on the potential use of the factory Alpine amp 1st, before I go down that road - 5 3.5s instead of 2 (or even none on the 6 speaker system, if the Alpines sound as good in the car as they did at the test)

Was almost settled on Infinity Kappa until I heard the Alpine...

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts
Agreed on the 3.5s, I wanted to wait and see on the potential use of the factory Alpine amp 1st, before I go down that road - 5 3.5s instead of 2 (or even none on the 6 speaker system, if the Alpines sound as good in the car as they did at the test)

Was almost settled on Infinity Kappa until I heard the Alpine...
Don't forget the sound matting in the speaker cavities. Retrosound is inexpensive and works great. I also cut out the centers in the grills because they muddle the sound something fierce. Not kidding.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Leems - would you know where the front speaker/dash splice is?

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts
@Leems - would you know where the front speaker/dash splice is?
It is inside the dash before the harness separates and run in one direction to the dash speaker and then to the front door. I don't remember exactly where that was, only that it was AFTER (output) the amplifier connections. Look behind the glove box and you will find it.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk
47 Posts
Don't forget the sound matting in the speaker cavities. Retrosound is inexpensive and works great. I also cut out the centers in the grills because they muddle the sound something fierce. Not kidding.
Cutting the grills sounds a little overboard. I guess if you don't care how it looks??

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts

Cutting the grills sounds a little overboard. I guess if you don't care how it looks??
I don't think they are that ugly. Doors came out better.

·
Registered
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
1,078 Posts
OK, I guess I didn't understand that you would be using the speaker grills. Looks really good. Great idea!
Thanks.

I removed the grills and used a 2-5/8" hole saw (general use blade) for the dash with 4" covers and then 3-1/2" for the doors with 5-1/2" covers. The dash were first so it was experimental, but the doors had the benefit of a little more experience.

The sound clarity is really apparent. I have the gain on the amplifier set at just under 1/4 and the crossover at 80dB.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just received the 2 pair Alpine R-S69.2, as well as some compact baffle boxes, part of my week off next week will be audio upgrade time on the Jeep!

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,646 Posts
I just received the 2 pair Alpine R-S69.2, as well as some compact baffle boxes, part of my week off next week will be audio upgrade time on the Jeep!
Are those 6x9's for the doors? I sure hope they aren't the same supposed Alpines I have in the doors, because they are average at best...😎

·
Registered
648 Posts
Are those 6x9's for the doors? I sure hope they aren't the same supposed Alpines I have in the doors, because they are average at best...😎
Well if you have the Alpine system then you really only getting bass and midbass signal to the front doors. The Alpine amp has them crossed over to send some mid and tweet signals to the dash speakers. So you might not get the FULL wow factor as you are not using the tweeters in the aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
In my experience on my last vehicle (also had a premium alpine system) I only replaced the amp and head unit and it made a dramatic difference in audio quality. I'm not sure how much of that was amp and how much was head unit. I have toyed around with the idea of upgrading my cherokee but I already have the premium alpine system so I'm not sure how much I would gain from replacing just speakers, and don't know if I can replace the amp without at a minimum losing the ANC or worse.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would try upgrading to good speakers, they are usually the difference makers...

Reactions: Leems

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
the stock jeep "alpine" speakers (or upgrade from jeep alpine speakers) whatever you want to call them
are relatively junk not to be confused with aftermarket alpine gear.

now the kicker speakers from jeep.. those were decent, but nothing special.

both of course are better than the stock cardboard wonders you get.

Its how they play the game. give you junk speakers or its 2500$ for audio upgrade that costs <$700 plus they get to keep the stock components that were replaced

Sorta like how they hose you by charging $800 for the black face rims and keep your stock silver ones.. cant tell me some black paint cost $800

/rant over.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts