2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Thinking about getting a TrailHawk!!! Are they good daily driver’s?

5K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Hess 
#1 ·
So I’ve never owned the current style Cherokee before. I own a 2021 wrangler four-door, and even though I love it, it’s too big for my needs and I need a little bit smaller vehicle for a lot more daily driving that I’m gonna be doing living farther away from work.

I was looking at the renegade and then I compass which I’m told are good vehicles but I really like the look of the Cherokee trail hawk and my dealership has a couple of brand new 2022s on the lot with a discount. How does the Cherokee trail hawk drive on the highway as a daily driver? I want something small but yet still has four-wheel-drive and this seems to be perfect but I also want it to be good on the highway.
Also, how many miles are you guys getting on a full tank of gas? I know these have a lot smaller gas tank than my wrangler which is 21 gallons, so am I gonna be filling up every 250 miles or can I go up to 303 50 miles on a tank? Any insight and reviews would be awesome, thank you so much.

#2 ·
So I’ve never owned the current style Cherokee before. I own a 2021 wrangler four-door, and even though I love it, it’s too big for my needs and I need a little bit smaller vehicle for a lot more daily driving that I’m gonna be doing living farther away from work.

I was looking at the renegade and then I compass which I’m told are good vehicles but I really like the look of the Cherokee trail hawk and my dealership has a couple of brand new 2022s on the lot with a discount. How does the Cherokee trail hawk drive on the highway as a daily driver? I want something small but yet still has four-wheel-drive and this seems to be perfect but I also want it to be good on the highway.
Also, how many miles are you guys getting on a full tank of gas? I know these have a lot smaller gas tank than my wrangler which is 21 gallons, so am I gonna be filling up every 250 miles or can I go up to 303 50 miles on a tank? Any insight and reviews would be awesome, thank you so much.
Welcome from Utah!!! I love mine. I call it the Cowboy Cadillac. I average 22-25 mpg, but I have the 2.0T, which is not available in Trailhawks anymore, for whatever reason. Mileage and power wise, they're pretty close with the 3.2 V6. WAAAAYYY MORE comfortable than your JLU, those things are like driving an old dump truck, compared to a Cherokee Trailhawk...JMO...😎

Reactions: yodog and Mark_
#3 ·
Well, I like mine!!! Had a 4Runner (2018) then a Wrangler (2020 Willy's 2" lift, Toyo 285/75 ATs). The Trailhawk is the best of them on the highway. I average 23 - 25 city & highway, 29 - 30 pure highway. The 4Runner was 2nd, great ride, lifted, rode well, acceleration was not as good, and the tech was right out of 2007. The Wrangler had a busier ride, GREAT ACCLERATION (2.0t), was noisy compared to the 4Runner and the Cherokee. The Trailhawk is all around the best of them BUT is probably the least capable off road. The 4Runner (lifted 2" with Falken Wildpeaks) is pretty darn capable off road. In Moab I only ran the easy stuff and barely used 4wd. The Wrangler does NOT need a summation of its off-road capability, it is the DeFacto standard for off roading. Have not had a chance to test the Trailhawk, but my gut feels it would go anywhere I wanted it to.

Recently I dropped off a set of shocks to someone in Sedona. He was going to go up Schnebly Hill Rd, and I was coming down from Williams. I opted NOT to come down Schnebly Hill as the Trailhawk does not have the clearance of the 4Runner or Wrangler. More than likely, it would have made it, but it may have scraped in the bad parts.

Reactions: Flybynightcru
#13 ·
2019 V6 Trailhawk here. I track every fill-up on an app. My average MPG after 31,000 miles is 21.5. That includes city, hwy, and the occasional towing of my 2 sleds. At that mpg the range on a full tank of gas to completely empty is 338 miles. Realistically you should expect to fill up after 250-275 miles. Remember that it is damaging to the fuel pump to consistently run your car down to a near empty fuel tank.

As a daily driver you will love it. Take a test drive and I'm sure you'll agree...

#15 ·
hey there,

closing in on 2 years ownership on my 2020 Trailhawk, with the Turbo.

No problems yet. no service issues. I off road some, not a ton, but I do tackle trails rated "green and blue", (2-4) but knowing I can go harder, just don't want to. I have the mopar rock rails.

It is my only car, I have around 25k miles with the majority of those being highway miles on the I-70 mountain corridor in snow. I run separate winter tires (blizzaks) and snowboard 150+ days a year.

IT serves me very well. Only been stuck in snow once because I parked too close to the edge of the road and fell in like 2 feet. don't think a wrangler would've changed that.

edit: I average 23PMG (premium fuel thou....) in the winter with the ski rack on, now in the summer I'm getting 26-29MPG

#18 ·
2 months after we bought my wife's 2018 Lat+ I ran down and bought a 2019 TH!
I went in knowing I wanted a TH, with the V6. I didn't even know about the 2.0T, and
there weren't any on the lot. Out of the options I thought I had, I didn't want another
2.4! Fine for the wife and commuting, but I wanted more power! LOL So yeah the few
times I drove the 2018 made me want a TH! I went in with very little knowledge and got
really lucky with the tow group and stuff! LOL

I love how much stuff I can cram in it!

Trip to WV mountains...

Does not handle 4' foot drop offs very well...

Still in the honeymoon stage.... :cool:

#19 ·
I have a 2015 TH (V6). Took delivery in June ‘15 and have around 298K on it. Since the engine was replaced at 210K, I’ll probably get a lot more out of it unless Mopar buys out my warranty at some point.

It’s a great daily driver, IMO. If not for the fact that I’ve had well over $20K in warranty work (including the long block), and a cumulative 2-3 months in the shop, I’d be looking at upgrading to the current model year.

-Rob

#20 ·
I bought our 2020 TH to tow behind our motorhome. The wife wanted to keep her 2013 chevy Malibu ECO, because she didn't think she would like the jeep. Just finished our 2nd year of ownership and I can't get her to stop driving it she loves it. Her poor Malibu just sets there and I have driving the Malibu now more than her. But she still won't sell her Malibu. And we drive my Avalanche in the winter so we don't get salt all over the other 2 cars.

#21 ·
Ok, I’ll chime in here. I’ve got a 2019 Trailhawk Elite and absolutely love it. It is a true go anywhere vehicle and that’s why I got it. So for me, it’s perfect. On road or off road, it does exactly what I need and I go off road quite a bit. HOWEVER, if you don’t go off road quite a bit…why do you need a Trailhawk? They’re a LOT of really special SUV’s for daily driving. The Subaru Crosstrek is one I really like but there are many that are quite good. I tend to wander about and end up in a lot of places I really shouldn’t have take my Trailhawk but that’s why I bought it and put a lift and the KO2‘s on it. If I was just looking for a daily driver, though, I’d look at the Rogue, Crosstrek or even the RAV4. Just my 2¢ 😎

#22 ·
I will give my opinion. The last two vehicles I have owned were a 2017 Toyota Tacoma and a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon both of which were very heavily modded. I was getting to a point where I was tired of the endless money that you can spend and wanted to tone down my offroading and take a simpler approach as I am also part of an offroad club and thought it would be a fun to take something “less capable” and see how much fun I could have vs. always doing the harder trails. The Cherokee TH has always caught my eye especially the 2019+. Well I finally pulled the trigger on a 2020 TH Elite with 20K miles and was excited for the new approach to a daily driver/offroader. Fast forward two months and 3K miles and I heavily regret buying it and felt like I should of done more homework before purchasing. I am having the dreaded clunking noise in the front end and have already been to the dealer for them to not figure out the problem so I am still trying battling that. I drove both the 2.0 and 3.2 but ultimately decided on the 3.2. I average 19-20 mpg and I hate the small gas tank. The 9 speed is horrible IMO. I hate the seating position as I feel like I am way to high although it’s in the lowest setting and leaned back further than I normally would in any other car. The seats are flat and not comfortable for long trips to me. I thought my Wrangler seats were much more comfortable. I am also worried about the long term reliability and strongly thinking about an extended warranty if I plan to keep it. I want to lift it and put a taller tire but afraid to do so and have a PTU failure.

With that said I do love the way it looks, I love the amenities with the “Elite” package. The size is great, headlights are bright, and I like the infotainment. I hate to bash a Jeep as I am a huge Jeep guy and this is my 4th one. If I had to do it over again I think I would of went with a Grand Cherokee TH, or possibly a Lexus GX460.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.