2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
“Elvira” 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Cherokee is finally beginning to give me some issues nearing 21,000 miles. Nothing major, but still an issue. We shall wait and see what the dealer says. On October 29th I use the remote start, and notice that it cut off before the 10 minute limit. When I go to start it, I notice that the CEL did not go away, so I pulled out my handy dandy scanner. It said there was a cylinder 1 misfire. There was no rough idle, so I open the hood to take a listen again. The engine running as normal. Cut the vehicle off, turn it back on. The CEL magically disappears. On Nov 8th, it did something similar. I started it, was letting it warm up. I hear a chime, looked at the gauge cluster and tada a CEL appeared. This time, the CEL was flashing, so service was scheduled. I did let it continue to run as I noticed nothing appeared wrong yet again, and the CEL light also disappeared! There was never any loss of power and no loss in fuel economy. I’m assuming there are some electrical gremlins. On a positive note I still got 29.6 mpg with the Falken Wildpeaks. I told them to keep it as long as they need, because it is an intermittent issue obviously. Hopefully it’s just a bad connection somewhere, and nothing crazy. It was dropped off yesterday morning at the dealer, I will keep everyone updated. I am wishing it will replicate the issue for the technicians.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,012 Posts
My 2021 Cherokee is finally beginning to give me some issues nearing 21,000 miles. Nothing major, but still an issue. We shall wait and see what the dealer says. On October 29th I use the remote start, and notice that it cut off before the 10 minute limit. When I go to start it, I notice that the CEL did not go away, so I pulled out my handy dandy scanner. It said there was a cylinder 1 misfire. There was no rough idle, so I open the hood to take a listen again. The engine running as normal. Cut the vehicle off, turn it back on. The CEL magically disappears. On Nov 8th, it did something similar. I started it, was letting it warm up. I hear a chime, looked at the gauge cluster and tada a CEL appeared. This time, the CEL was flashing, so service was scheduled. I did let it continue to run as I noticed nothing appeared wrong yet again, and the CEL light also disappeared! There was never any loss of power and no loss in fuel economy. I’m assuming there are some electrical gremlins. On a positive note I still got 29.6 mpg with the Falken Wildpeaks. I told them to keep it as long as they need, because it is an intermittent issue obviously. Hopefully it’s just a bad connection somewhere, and nothing crazy. It was dropped off yesterday morning at the dealer, I will keep everyone updated. I am wishing it will replicate the issue for the technicians.
Well damn. Mine did that once when it was pretty new, probably around 4000mi. CEL came on, finished our errands that night, and the next morning it was gone, and it's never been back since. Good luck, and let us know what they say...😎

·
Registered
“Elvira” 2021 Cherokee Latitude Lux 2.0L Turbo ADI Sangria Metallic Ski Grey Interior
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well damn. Mine did that once when it was pretty new, probably around 4000mi. CEL came on, finished our errands that night, and the next morning it was gone, and it's never been back since. Good luck, and let us know what they say...😎
I was going to let it go, but after it did it the second time I was thinking hmmmm it wouldn’t hurt to get checked out. We shall see, I figured they’d try to dump it back in a heartbeat if it didn’t replicate the issue. Hopefully it won’t be stuck in the service department long.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I was going to let it go, but after it did it the second time I was thinking hmmmm it wouldn’t hurt to get checked out. We shall see, I figured they’d try to dump it back in a heartbeat if it didn’t replicate the issue. Hopefully it won’t be stuck in the service department long.
Ya, mine had some sort of actuator communication code, and I just kind of checked out all the plugs and connectors, unplugged, and plugged them back in, and it's been fine ever since...😎

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,253 Posts
Ya, mine had some sort of actuator communication code, and I just kind of checked out all the plugs and connectors, unplugged, and plugged them back in, and it's been fine ever since...😎
So true, a lot of times, a connection just isn't tight, or there is still some manufacturing/protectant coating still on it...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as I suspected, they couldn’t get it to replicate the issue. Hopefully it never happens again, but if it does I hope to pull my phone out like there is no tomorrow to have proof. I’ll likely pull the plugs and check over everything considering it was originally a “misfire” code. I’ll probably put some dielectric grease on the connectors in that vicinity to give an even better connection. They did test drive it at least, I’m sure they had a blast with the 2.0T. 😉

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So true, a lot of times, a connection just isn't tight, or there is still some manufacturing/protectant coating still on it...
I figured since it was still under warranty I’d let them dive into it beforehand, but I’m definitely going to check it out when I get it home. I’ll definitely be giving the connectors some dielectric grease to aid the connections. Hopefully it will suffice.

·
Registered
2018 Latitude+. 2.4 AD1
1,064 Posts
I wouldn’t touch it myself. Recording the event is a great idea. If it’s under warranty and you start modifying things (they could consider the grease a modification) they could deny coverage. Record it, keep taking it back, let them fix it.

Just my opinion, you do what you think is best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Just as I suspected, they couldn’t get it to replicate the issue. Hopefully it never happens again, but if it does I hope to pull my phone out like there is no tomorrow to have proof. I’ll likely pull the plugs and check over everything considering it was originally a “misfire” code. I’ll probably put some dielectric grease on the connectors in that vicinity to give an even better connection. They did test drive it at least, I’m sure they had a blast with the 2.0T. 😉
I probably wouldn't put any grease on the connectors either. Just kinda check them. Also maybe check all the fuse boxes, and make sure all fuses, and relays are all seated properly. I guess you're going to just have to monitor the situation, and get that video proof if it does it again Jeremy...😎

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I probably wouldn't put any grease on the connectors either. Just kinda check them. Also maybe check all the fuse boxes, and make sure all fuses, and relays are all seated properly. I guess you're going to just have to monitor the situation, and get that video proof if it does it again Jeremy...😎
That was my next thought haha, I saw awhile back someone had a Wrangler 4xe that went bonkers and it was a fuse! I believe one of the fuses they don’t seat completely prior to delivery. As with anything, time will tell.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wouldn’t touch it myself. Recording the event is a great idea. If it’s under warranty and you start modifying things (they could consider the grease a modification) they could deny coverage. Record it, keep taking it back, let them fix it.

Just my opinion, you do what you think is best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really didn’t want to touch it either, that is why I took it to them to begin with. I figured if they noticed anything had been tampered with they would void the warranty. I’m going to just take a gander at the bolts and screws to see if they have turn marks. I’m just curious if they did anything aside from test driving it. Which I’m sure they have certain policies they must follow.
The only times it did it was at idle, but oh well. I tried. I was just bummed out that it didn’t stay on quite long enough for me to record it, and that it didn’t replicate the issue for them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Even if the CEL is OFF, a Tech can check for History Codes, unless everything has been erased.
I know. It wasn’t cleared the last time it did it, which was November 8th. When I pick it up in the morning I’m bringing my scanner with me, so before I even leave their lot I will scan it to see if anything is stored in the computer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: They actually put 40 miles in an attempt to replicate the issue. I picked it up this morning, before I left scanned it, and there were zero DTCs. At least there is an invoice to show that this is an ongoing issue if it does it again. As the gentleman said the issue may have to get worse before it will actually store a code.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Update: They actually put 40 miles in an attempt to replicate the issue. I picked it up this morning, before I left scanned it, and there were zero DTCs. At least there is an invoice to show that this is an ongoing issue if it does it again. As the gentleman said the issue may have to get worse before it will actually store a code.
Well, that sucks...🤔😎

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I’m now a hair over 30k miles, and the wonky CEL has never returned since. Maybe Casper just decided to pick on me that day. 😛

Yesterday on a short trip to Greensboro (150 miles) I only used 4 gallons, and I was going 80 mph the whole way and occasionally using passing gear. I was very pleased with the mileage.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Well I’m now a hair over 30k miles, and the wonky CEL has never returned since. Maybe Casper just decided to pick on me that day. 😛

Yesterday on a short trip to Greensboro (150 miles) I only used 4 gallons, and I was going 80 mph the whole way and occasionally using passing gear. I was very pleased with the mileage.
Hey Jeremy, mine did that once when I had around 6000 miles. The CEL came on, and it was clearly down on power. I think it was something to do with the turbo actuator. Needless to say, parked it that night, restarted it the next day, and it was gone, and running fine. Haven't seen it since...😎

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Jeremy, mine did that once when I had around 6000 miles. The CEL came on, and it was clearly down on power. I think it was something to do with the turbo actuator. Needless to say, parked it that night, restarted it the next day, and it was gone, and running fine. Haven't seen it since...😎
Hey Scott! Mine was just a misfire code and POOF, it was gone very quickly. Mine did not have a loss in power, so I wasn’t too concerned. I still took it to the dealer to get documentation incase it were to pop up later on. Which who knows I could have gotten some bad gas or it may have fouled a plug. I’m just glad it hasn’t been back since then!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts