2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Now that I have your attention." ... :)

I'm at the dealer for service on the WK2 and they have multiple Gladiators available, so I started poking around. I had thought that it was "just a JKU with a bed", but it's a different beast. Significantly longer than a JKU.

I think it would easily go toe-to-toe with a Wrangler for raw capability, but it's size would definitely hamper it on the trail.

It took a little bit of willpower to not ask for a test drive. ;)

Reactions: UN4GTBL

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think it would easily go toe-to-toe with a Wrangler for raw capability, but it's size would definitely hamper it on the trail.
There was a link to a Gladiator video posted here a couple of months ago, and we discussed precisely that issue. Lots of overhang.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Be interesting to see a head to head off road comparison against say a Ram 1500 or Powerwagon.

·
Registered
760 Posts
^ TFL Truck or Offroad on Youtube will be doing videos on the Gladiator soon. ;)

·
Registered
835 Posts
Gladiator is a mile long. Significantly longer wheel base than the Tacoma, Frontier, Ranger, Colorado. It kinda doesn't make sense to me, it's a weirdly shaped truck unlike any other, and very expensive like the JLs.
Too expensive in my opinion, although I feel trucks in general are way too expensive these days. It's even worse when you directly compare mid-size trucks like the Gladiator to a 1/2 ton such as the Ram 1500. Given the price point for a nicely specced out Gladiator, you're almost better off with a 1/2 ton.

Truth be told though, I find 1/2 tons these days way too big, which is why I prefer the size of the mid-size trucks, but the lack of a real distinctive price gap makes it difficult to consider one. At least there's the used market.

Reactions: Ronin38

·
Registered
855 Posts
....I find 1/2 tons these days way too big, which is why I prefer the size of the mid-size trucks, but the lack of a real distinctive price gap makes it difficult to consider one....
This was the reason Ram dropped the Dakota. The latter was smaller, but the price differential was too small...why get a smaller truck when a big one costs almost the same (or even less with incentives)? Ford dropped the Ranger for the same reason.

I had a 2000 Dakota R/T, perfect size for me and a lot of fun. But the final generation Dakota was bigger since it shared the frame etc. with the new Durango SUV. Neither vehicle sold well, FCA dropped the Dak and offered the completely redesigned Durango, which has since sold very well.

With the re-introduction of the Ford Ranger perhaps there is a market for mid-sized trucks again. Comparing full-sized to mid-sized trucks in 2018:

Silverado - 291,000
Colorado - 70,000

Sierra - 101,000
Canyon - 17,000

Tundra - 56,000
Tacoma - 116,000

·
Registered
835 Posts
When it comes to truck sales, especially with the big three, do their sales numbers account for fleet vehicles? I only ask this because generally speaking, Nissan, Toyota, and Honda with the Ridgeline have typically much lower sales figures compared to Ram, GM, and Ford. If you take away the fleet sales, would the differences actually be much closer? And if those sales do include fleet vehicles for commercial use, how many of them are part of those figures?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think they do count the fleet sales and that's why the Ford F150 is always the #1 in truck sales because they sale so many fleet trucks

·
Registered
760 Posts
One other bit to remember is that GM truck sales are divided between GMC and Chevy., while Ford only has one unit selling trucks. Adding the two GM branches together brings their total sales a lot closer to Ford.

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
Yikes...

Stopped by my dealership a couple days ago. Was talking with service manager, then he asked me if I had seen the Gladiator parked out back (boss is driving it). He almost dragged me out there. Loaded red Rubicon, $72K price tag (canadian). And then he showed me their little mods ; they're adding about $10K on it (wheels, 35'' tires, decals, front camera, winch is on hold though, and a lift...). Back into the dealership, he shows me the box that has the lift in it ; wow... nice official Jeep wooden crate, worth $2K I think. These guys really like the Gladiator... but $80K ?? No thanks...:surprise:

·
Registered
9,096 Posts
Yikes...

Stopped by my dealership a couple days ago. Was talking with service manager, then he asked me if I had seen the Gladiator parked out back (boss is driving it). He almost dragged me out there. Loaded red Rubicon, $72K price tag (canadian). And then he showed me their little mods ; they're adding about $10K on it (wheels, 35'' tires, decals, front camera, winch is on hold though, and a lift...). Back into the dealership, he shows me the box that has the lift in it ; wow... nice official Jeep wooden crate, worth $2K I think. These guys really like the Gladiator... but $80K ?? No thanks...:surprise:
They're pretty much done with the mods.It just needs a winch now. $82K roughly (canadian), that's $94K with taxes. Yeah.

Those are 35'' Wild Peak AT/3s :

·
Registered
565 Posts
They're pretty much done with the mods.It just needs a winch now. $82K roughly (canadian), that's $94K with taxes. Yeah.[/IMG]
I have a JK. The axioms of owning a highly customizable off-road vehicle:

1. It's a Jeep thing. You wouldn't understand.
2. JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket
3. Never, and I mean NEVER look at the total cost with all of the modifications. That can lead to severe heartburn and probable divorce.
4. Upgrade the weakest link and/or broken part. 'Wheel. Break something else. Repeat.

And, finally...

5. See #1

When the Gladiator gets a diesel, I'll consider a mate for my JK. Until then I need to settle with my baby Jeep (AKA "Cherokee").

1 - 20 of 27 Posts