2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Test Drive Impressions - Impressed & Disappointed

4K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Beach Bound 
#1 ·
Am at 83k miles on my trusty 04 Liberty, and looking for it's replacement. I was close to moving on the new Ford Escape, but couldn't get past the Microsoft / Sony infotainment combo. The Cherokee hit my radar and I waited, and waited for units to make it to the midwest. Finally got a lengthy test drive opportunity yesterday, Latitude/V6/base 4wd, and was it worth the wait? Pretty much. Here are some initial impressions:

Pluses:

• Fantastic motor, drive-train and handling
  • Good visibility
  • No wind noise (have you noticed the double gasket-ed doors?)
  • Great looks, good fit and finish

Minuses:

• At 6'1", seat all the way back, the very limited tilt/telescope range of the steering wheel is awful. My arms angle upward when at the 10/2 o-clock position, steering wheel is at an awkward angle, always. Not sure if I could get used to this. This was a real WTF for me.
  • The headrests are very intrusive, but it seems everyone is going this route now.
  • With the cloth seats, front to back seating surface length is very short, I imagine this is meant to please the more petite buyers. I'd like to see a bit more length. Maybe the leather seats are better dimensioned.
  • The base stereo is muddy and distorted, I suspect the upgraded system will be fine though. Haven't had a chance to check it out though.
Was I excited about this vehicles introduction, yes! Am I sold on owning one? Less so now.

See less See more
#2 ·
They did do a poor job with the steering wheel... It wasn't bad enough to be a deal breaker for me, but it needs some re-engineering in regard to angle and amount of telescoping

#4 ·
Most likely this way because steering wheels are designed for the 9 and 3 o'clock positions.

#6 ·
Interesting comment. I found the steering wheel was OK for me, but I drive using 9 & 3 o'clock positions.

I did notice that the range of the steering wheel position was limited compared to some other vehicles, but I was able to find a comfortable position.

#7 ·
I also had quite a different impression, but I bought a V6 Trailhawk with the Alpine sound system. I upgraded from a 2005 Liberty with an aftermarket competition-grade sound system (around $3000 in components).

I'm 6'2" and I prefer to sit close to the steering wheel. The powered seat allows me to position up/down/back/forth and the powered back goes to any angle as well. The powered lumbar support is NICE.

The Alpine system, 500 watts with subwoofer, is strong with strong bass. It's not on par with the aftermarket system in my Liberty, but it sounds pretty close at normal listening levels. In fact I have to keep the bass at near flat level to keep it from overpowering some songs.

#8 ·
At 6'1", seat all the way back, the very limited tilt/telescope range of the steering wheel is awful. My arms angle upward when at the 10/2 o-clock position, steering wheel is at an awkward angle, always. Not sure if I could get used to this. This was a real WTF for me.
I am also 6'1" and agree with your comments. I was able to crank up the seat height adjuster for a more comfortable position. The position left the top of my head about an inch away from the headliner.

They do need to increase the tilt range for further down and out travel for taller drivers.

Reactions: UN4GTBL
#9 ·
Maybe I'm just weird (and extra short) but the steering wheel position doesn't bother me. I have long legs for my height so I don't sit all the way forward, but my usual driving style - arm on the window with my hand at 8 o'clock - is still very comfortable.

Maybe a GC would be better in this regard for our taller jeepers.

#10 ·
I'm 6'5" - pretty much as big as they come . . . . when I test drove a Latitude I had more space in the driver cockpit then I do with my current Wrangler unlimited . . . or so I felt at the time . . .

#12 ·
Test drove nearly identical Trailhawks yesterday, 4 cyl & 6 cyl each with approx. 50 miles on odo. Each approx. 5 miles highway and 7 miles secondary roads. 4 cyl whiney with hard and seemingly delayed upshifts, power not bad, but seems forced, 6 cyl smoother shifting and power delivery with more pleasant sound. Wondering with Adaptive Transmission how many miles you need to drive before the transmission "settles in". Ride quality and handling was pleasant, crisp, and concise on both. Steering wheel position was OK for me (5'11" large frame) Nav was easy to use with great screen, radio sound with base speakers was fairly flat (did not extensively configure). Will drive Limited next with Active Drive II and V6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.