Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am at 83k miles on my trusty 04 Liberty, and looking for it's replacement. I was close to moving on the new Ford Escape, but couldn't get past the Microsoft / Sony infotainment combo. The Cherokee hit my radar and I waited, and waited for units to make it to the midwest. Finally got a lengthy test drive opportunity yesterday, Latitude/V6/base 4wd, and was it worth the wait? Pretty much. Here are some initial impressions:
- Fantastic motor, drive-train and handling
- Good visibility
- No wind noise (have you noticed the double gasket-ed doors?)
- Great looks, good fit and finish
- At 6'1", seat all the way back, the very limited tilt/telescope range of the steering wheel is awful. My arms angle upward when at the 10/2 o-clock position, steering wheel is at an awkward angle, always. Not sure if I could get used to this. This was a real WTF for me.
- The headrests are very intrusive, but it seems everyone is going this route now.
- With the cloth seats, front to back seating surface length is very short, I imagine this is meant to please the more petite buyers. I'd like to see a bit more length. Maybe the leather seats are better dimensioned.
- The base stereo is muddy and distorted, I suspect the upgraded system will be fine though. Haven't had a chance to check it out though.