2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
By the way (a Mopar ad for floor liners popped up while on the site) the all weather Mopar liners are a screaming deal compared to Weather Tech-we got front driver/passenger PLUS full second row liners for much less than Weathertech, the fit is as good and the liners are much thicker than the others check them out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
By the way (a Mopar ad for floor liners popped up while on the site) the all weather Mopar liners are a screaming deal compared to Weather Tech-we got front driver/passenger PLUS full second row liners for much less than Weathertech,wants for just the fronts- the fit is as good and the liners are much thicker than the others check them out.
forgot to add that -ours- are US made to boot

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would not for two reasons-you are changing from a 0w to a 5w which would be a very major difference and you would be reducing protection by decreasing from a 40 to a 30-how about a 0w50 instead?

Factoid: owners of '19 1500 3.6 Rams can use either the 5w-20 OR 5w-30 should the former not be readily available-I find this interesting even though its the 3.6 NOT the 3.2.

Do you truly believe that the 5w-20 really does not sacrifice maximum service life for corporate fuel economy compliance/mandates?
There is a not a major difference between 0W and 5W, in the same grade range, until you get into the -20 to -30F range. The SAE J300 Mini-Rotary Viscometer cold weather pumpability test is done at -40C for 0W and -35C for 5W, so they’re isn’t much difference in viscosity until you get into extreme conditions.

All oils are chosen by the auto manufacturers to meet various test parameters such as wear protection, fuel mileage, cost and cold weather performance, so obviously there is going to be some compromises made in each category in order to recommend an oil that works satisfactorily for most consumers.

Will a 5W-20 provide less wear protection than a Porsche A40 rated 0W-40? Probably (maybe, possibly) under some/most conditions at the expense of fuel mileage but would the average Jeep owner ever see a real world difference in the life of the engine? A 0W-40 with the appropriate GM, Porsche,FCA, MB and VW approvals is arguably the “best” oil available for wear control and extreme cold weather performance, so why isn’t it recommended in every vehicle FCA sells?

·
Registered
42 Posts
By the way (a Mopar ad for floor liners popped up while on the site) the all weather Mopar liners are a screaming deal compared to Weather Tech-we got front driver/passenger PLUS full second row liners for much less than Weathertech, the fit is as good and the liners are much thicker than the others check them out.
I replaced the original carpet mats, which I liked the look of, with Husky Liners Weatherbeaters rubber mats, including the full
length rear. Perfect fit and for $135 and free shipping from Amazon I’m very happy with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wrote to FCA about oil changes concerning the oil life indicator and how many km's. Here is what they wrote back.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
407 Posts
tell me why you think 5w-30 rather than 5w-20 was selected for your 2.0? and yes my mind is made up-made up to continue to suspect the ability of 5w-20 to provide protection under extreme driving conditions and to research the best course of action for ME-as of now nothing more/nothing less.
Since you have made up your mind, you should be your changing your oil NOW, before you do any further damage to your engine with that 5-20!! 😲

Reactions: HoosierTrooper

·
Registered
47 Posts
from pg 372 '21 Cherokee owners manual

Synthetic Engine Oils
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met,and the recommended maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are followed

Synthetic engine oils which do not have both the engine oil certification mark and the correct SAE viscosity number -should- not be used.

page 417

Engine Oil - 2.0 Engine (boxed/separated comments)

We recommend you use Mopar API SP/GF-6 Certified SAE 5w-30 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-13340. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 5w30 engine oil can be used if it meets API SP/GF-6 Certification. If API SP/GF-6 or equivalent oil is unavailable then please contact a local dealership for recommendation.

Contained in same box-separate line

CAUTION

contained in same box-separate line/bold text

Failure to use the recommended API SP/GF-6 or equivalent oil can cause engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty

The word 'recommended' by definition is non mandatory

I submit to all that the absence of similar language in the 2.4/3.2 oil sections conveys a tacit admission by Jeep that other than the 5w-20 oils can be used without fear of damage to either the engine/drive train or warranty.

Pretty much all I have to offer-more research to do

tnks and it has been fun and informative I hope.

·
Registered
47 Posts
and I am now -informed- that by law vehicle makers are only permitted to recommend that oil which had been used for testing for certification by the EPA-can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
47 Posts
If my math is correct the savings of going to even a 7,500 mile oil change from the current 5k miles -would result in a 'savings' of $600 usd over a projected 150k engine life, or about 4 cents/mile using $60.00 usd per change. Factor in that the oil life monitor is a guess (and seemingly a wild one at that) the relatively insignificant savings isn't justified, for us.

To go on an 'extended' oil change regime would require very frequent uoa's which of course would negate completely any cost savings of extending the oil usage-so really when all is said and done the 'old' adage is perhaps still accurate-change early and change often in order to be absolutely certain.

As for us, we will continue to change at 3-4k with a full synthetic AND I have decided to try either a 0-30 or 5-30-most probably Amsoil 'signature series'.

Will post the good/bad and ugly in the event anyone is interested -I- strongly suspect that the 5w-20 was specified for fuel economy only AND for fuel economy only in order to achieve govt standards/mandates.

And yes I could certainly be wrong.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts