2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
In my garage. Pennzoils PDS are notorious for mistakes and omissions.
E6A32352-30F0-44AE-B282-E0B8FBC74F6E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you’re referring to the Platinum 5W-30 I use in the 2L it most certainly is compliant. The material standard for the turbo is MS-13340, not MS-6395. Pennzoil synthetic is the factory fill for the turbo.
That's what I use in mine. I probably would be a little more concerned if I were running a Pentastar, then again, thank goodness I knew better...😎

Also, I'm assuming that you are a proud member of the ISP, and just want to say thanks to you and your fellow Troopers of the great state of Indiana for your dedicated service...😎🇺🇸🚔

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Just a reminder about Pennzoil : before Fiat took over Chrysler, their oil partnership was with Exxon Mobil. And guess what, in those days Mobil One sported MS-6395. Fiat's long time partner is Shell. And Shell owns Pennzoil. So Mobil got the boot when Fiat came in, and Pennzoil became the only fill in town for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. And yes, MS-6395 is recommended for the 2.4 and 3.2 Cherokees, but a new standard came in for the turbo and yes, Pennzoil has it covered. And Mobil One didn't become a lesser oil when it dropped MS-6395... they most likely dropped it because of a bruised ego... and getting those certifications costs time and money and MS-6395 is kinda dated anyway...

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's what I use in mine. I probably would be a little more concerned if I were running a Pentastar, then again, thank goodness I knew better...😎

Also, I'm assuming that you are a proud member of the ISP, and just want to say thanks to you and your fellow Troopers of the great state of Indiana for your dedicated service...😎🇺🇸🚔
Agreed on the Pentastar. Thank you for the kind words, just retired after 41 years with the ISP.

Reactions: Flybynightcru

·
Registered
47 Posts

If it were the Italian closed deck or semi closed design I would have gone that route its really just another budget open deck DI engine with a blower to add the extra stress/flex-no thanks give me a simpler 6 cyl with more towing capacity and no forced induction/direct injection.

Proof positive that a 5w30 is better for severe applications, no?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If it were the Italian closed deck or semi closed design I would have gone that route its really just another budget open deck DI engine with a blower to add the extra stress/flex-no thanks give me a simpler 6 cyl with more towing capacity and no forced induction/direct injection.

So, it's just a coincidence that the 2.0T is well on the way to being the most dependable Jeep engine since the 4.0 then huh??? I sure see a lot more posts about Pentastars issues than I have about the 2.0T, in fact, I don't think I've seen any yet...Just saying...😎

·
Registered
427 Posts
So, it's just a coincidence that the 2.0T is well on the way to being the most dependable Jeep engine since the 4.0 then huh??? I sure see a lot more posts about Pentastars issues than I have about the 2.0T, in fact, I don't think I've seen any yet...Just saying...😎
Just curious, how long as the 2.0 been around? 2018? If that is correct, I'm not sure how anyone could make long term predictions on longevity, right?

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, because one could argue that a “light” API 5W-30 doesn’t provide adequate protection for a turbo and was only chosen for CAFE and that it would be protected “better” using an oil with ACEA C3 and Porsche A40 or MB 229.5 approvals in a 5 or 0W-40 or a “heavy” 5W-30 like Platinum Euro L.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Just curious, how long as the 2.0 been around? 2018? If that is correct, I'm not sure how anyone could make long term predictions on longevity, right?
2019 model year, but those were already on the road early in 2018, and there are a bunch getting up there in miles now. Also, find me a post about engine related failures on this forum involving the 2.0T...Again, that's not just a coincidence. I'm all ears!!!😎

·
Registered
47 Posts
Both the 3.2/3.6 and the US built 2.0 are budget engines in that they use an open deck design which is the least expensive way to make engines by contrast the Italian version of the 2.0 uses a semi closed deck which is more expensive to make and far better in withstanding engine stress/flex which a typical 4 cylinder sees and especially a four with a blower and DI-thats my position in toto with the engines-I hope all with the 2.0 and the Pentastar get many hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles.
I am trying to sort out my oil concerns and the simple fact that a higher stressed turbo four uses 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 pretty much answers my question.

·
Registered
427 Posts
2019 model year, but those were already on the road early in 2018, and there are a bunch getting up there in miles now. Also, find me a post about engine related failures on this forum involving the 2.0T...Again, that's not just a coincidence. I'm all ears!!!😎
So that answers it for me. The engine is too new to make claims of long term reliability. ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am trying to sort out my oil concerns and the simple fact that a higher stressed turbo four uses 5w-30 instead of 5w-20 pretty much answers my question.
Maybe, maybe not. BMW, Porsche, and Volkswagen use 0W-20 in some of their turbocharged engines, as does GM, Honda and Lexus that I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
So that answers it for me. The engine is too new to make claims of long term reliability. ;)
Just how long, how many miles, and how many units in service does it take to gain "Reliable" status???😎

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would suggest that one adopt that length of time the Pentastar has been in service as a benchmark but remember NOT to absorb any period of time an engine was in service in other countries UNLESS the FINISHED product continues to be manufactured in the originating plant for what should be obvious reasons.

It is very true that many makers sanction the use of 5w-20 for boosted engines - some even modify their recommendation when extreme operating conditions are expected to be encountered and some of these uses would be racing/extended low speed operation/operation is dusty conditions/operation which includes frequent and extended periods of idling and towing but as this is a Jeep forum and the op posted regarding his/her/their Jeep product it would be reasonable and proper to use Jeep vehicles as central to thoughts/opinions/suggestions/determinations being posted.

Additionally it would similarly be reasonable and proper to conclude that since Jeep opted not to adopt the 5w-20 for use in the 2.0 that the designers realized the 5w-20 presented more potential issues/risks which would not have been offset by the expected very very small increase in fuel economy and it would be reasonable to suspect that these risks centered around catastrophic engine failure under the increased demands of a forced induction engine which happens to also be of a DI/vvt design.

For ME this is sufficient to suspect the protection that a 5w-20 oil will provide when operating the Cherokee under conditions which clearly fall under the vehicles sanctioned intended uses.

Common sense really.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree common sense should be applied. Common sense would also include the millions of Jeeps that are doing just fine on whatever 5W-20 the dealership or Jiffy Lube or Firestone dumps in their customers cars. But, it sounds like you’ve made up your mind so it’s time to put in the 5W-30 of your choice and move on with your life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
tell me why you think 5w-30 rather than 5w-20 was selected for your 2.0? and yes my mind is made up-made up to continue to suspect the ability of 5w-20 to provide protection under extreme driving conditions and to research the best course of action for ME-as of now nothing more/nothing less.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Obviously 5W-30 was chosen for the 2L because FCAs testing indicated it provided the best balance of wear protection and fuel mileage, the same reason they chose 5W-20 for some engines and 0W-20 for others. One can assume they tested oils with higher viscosity like 5W-40 or 0W-40 and decided 5W-30 gave the best results in all areas of concern. Same reason the 6.2L Hellcat uses 0W-40 instead of 5W-20 or 30 because that grade provides the best balance of wear protection and mileage, per FCAs testing, for that engine. Should I apply FCAs Hellcat engine oil grade recommendation towards the 2L because I “feel” like 5W-30 is too thin?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would not for two reasons-you are changing from a 0w to a 5w which would be a very major difference and you would be reducing protection by decreasing from a 40 to a 30-how about a 0w50 instead?

Factoid: owners of '19 1500 3.6 Rams can use either the 5w-20 OR 5w-30 should the former not be readily available-I find this interesting even though its the 3.6 NOT the 3.2.

Do you truly believe that the 5w-20 really does not sacrifice maximum service life for corporate fuel economy compliance/mandates?

41 - 60 of 71 Posts