2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I was just hoping for some insight on oil change intervals and preferences. I’ve always used Mobil One but wanted to see if this is what I want in my 2019 Cherokee. It’s got the V-6 in it. I’ve only down one change so far and it was Mobil One. The dealer says 6000 miles. What do the experts say?

·
Registered
322 Posts
I do it around 4k. I do alot of short trips and long idles so i use the sever duty cycle. Would i worry if i pushed it to 5000 not really.

·
Registered
427 Posts
With Mobil One you'll be fine with 5-6 thousand mile intervals. Put a good oil filter on it though. You can't go wrong with Wix.

I change the oil on all my vehicles at 5000 miles, but with the oil tests I've done with Blackstone Labs it has always indicated that I could easily go 6-7 thousand miles. I always use full synthetic oil.

But I actually like changing my oil, and 5000 just has a ring to it. :)

Reactions: idonbro

·
Registered
978 Posts
FCA has integrated an oil change interval algorithm into the EVIC. It is based upon how the KL is driven. It is the best method to determine your oil change interval. Use it.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Hello all, I was just hoping for some insight on oil change intervals and preferences. I’ve always used Mobil One but wanted to see if this is what I want in my 2019 Cherokee. It’s got the V-6 in it. I’ve only down one change so far and it was Mobil One. The dealer says 6000 miles. What do the experts say?
Mobil One is fine. 5W20.

I use the oil life indicator and do my own changes when the indicator says 5% oil life left, roughly. I live in a colder climate and do mostly short drives, so my oil life is just about 7K miles, sometimes a little less. Some folks who do mostly highway driving in gentler climates can push the oil life to 10K miles, but that is the max limit allowed. Don't go over one year on one fill, either (for those who drive very little)

For folks who have the 2.4L engine (not your case) : it's a good practice not to go over 5K miles between oil changes, to minimize the risk of heavy oil consumption.

BTW : your dealer wants you to do 6K oil changes because it's business ($$) for them. Your owner's manual says go with the oil life indicator, so you're covered warranty-wise, don't let them tell you otherwise...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know you asked for expert opinions, and I'm far from being an expert, but I'll throw out a couple things to consider. First, keep in mind that Mobil1 does not carry Chryslers MS-6395 certification, if that matters to you. It could maybe possibly give FCA a reason to deny a warranty claim if you have an oil related engine issue. M1 would easily pass the MS-6395 testing process but the commonly held belief is that Shell will not allow M1 to be tested, which, if true, makes perfect sense from a business standpoint by eliminating some competition for their Pennzoil brand, which is the factory and dealer service fill.

Second, as has already been mentioned, Jeep uses an oil life monitor system which establishes the OCI based on your individual driving cycle. So, you're choices are to either follow the oil life indicator or pick any random mileage number under 10,000 and change it then, as long as you don't exceed the 10K/1 year maximum it really doesn't matter. I've followed the oil life monitor system in every vehicle I've owned that has one, starting with a 2005 Chevrolet Uplander, I trust it and it eliminates the guesswork.

Reactions: Swampy16

·
Registered
427 Posts
As others have said, at the end of the day if you follow the manual's recommendations you'll be fine. IE: Follow the oil life monitor.

However, (sorry to bring this up, but it is an oil thread...haha) the must change your oil every year is a debated subject. Many of us have classic cars which only see a few hundred miles or so a year. On my one of my cars which sees around 6-8 hundred miles per year I do NOT change the oil every year. I've decided not to as all of the oil tests I've done have shown that I'm just draining out oil which is damn near brand new, which of course is just a waste of money and natural resources.

So those oil tests I've done have convinced me that oil does not degrade after a year or 2 when it is sitting in the crankcase, so why change it every year? They talk about moisture being the reason for oil degradation, but moisture is much more of an issue if you aren't thoroughly warming up an engine. So a 1/4 mile trip to your friends house when it's freezing outside is going to introduce more moisture than a car which is just sitting in storage for 6 months. And I'm sure the modern OLM systems take into consideration trips like that when determining how long your oil is going to last.

And although this may be obvious to the OP, I'm mentioning it because it's not obvious to a lot of people I've talked to over the years. The oil life monitor system is NOT going to tell you if you are a quart or more low on oil. It's only estimating the oil life of what was put into the engine since the last reset. You have a V-6 which is unlikely to burn any oil, but you should still check it on a regular basis as running your car low on oil is more damaging to the engine than how long your oil change interval is.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As others have said, at the end of the day if you follow the manual's recommendations you'll be fine. IE: Follow the oil life monitor.

However, (sorry to bring this up, but it is an oil thread...haha) the must change your oil every year is a debated subject. Many of us have classic cars which only see a few hundred miles or so a year. On my one of my cars which sees around 6-8 hundred miles per year I do NOT change the oil every year. I've decided not to as all of the oil tests I've done have shown that I'm just draining out oil which is damn near brand new, which of course is just a waste of money and natural resources.

So those oil tests I've done have convinced me that oil does not degrade after a year or 2 when it is sitting in the crankcase, so why change it every year? They talk about moisture being the reason for oil degradation, but moisture is much more of an issue if you aren't thoroughly warming up an engine. So a 1/4 mile trip to your friends house when it's freezing outside is going to introduce more moisture than a car which is just sitting in storage for 6 months. And I'm sure the modern OLM systems take into consideration trips like that when determining how long your oil is going to last.

And although this may be obvious to the OP, I'm mentioning it because it's not obvious to a lot of people I've talked to over the years. The oil life monitor system is NOT going to tell you if you are a quart or more low on oil. It's only estimating the oil life of what was put into the engine since the last reset. You have a V-6 which is unlikely to burn any oil, but you should still check it on a regular basis as running your car low on oil is more damaging to the engine than how long your oil change interval is.
That's some very good advice based on real world experience. I wonder if FCA throws the one year limit, and possibly the 10K limit as well, in the owners manual to give themselves some protection from a warranty claim on a severely neglected engine, like someone going a couple years or 20 or 30 thousand miles without changing or even checking the oil? Obviously oil doesn't suddenly stop working on day 366 or at mile 10,001 so it may be there to encourage owners to do some minimum maintenance.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I wonder if FCA throws the one year limit, and possibly the 10K limit as well, in the owners manual to give themselves some protection from a warranty claim on a severely neglected engine, like someone going a couple years or 20 or 30 thousand miles without changing or even checking the oil? Obviously oil doesn't suddenly stop working on day 366 or at mile 10,001 so it may be there to encourage owners to do some minimum maintenance.
I'd say you hit the nail on the head there.

And just another anecdote about oil. I'm not comparing your typical car engine to a lawnmower engine, but I once had a little push mower and I used that thing for 10 years straight, an hour at a time, and I never once changed the oil. Why? Because in a way I was hoping it would fail so I would have a good excuse to buy a new, better one. "Honey, the damn thing just blew up on me, so I gotta get a new one!" haha

But it never failed. I finally just bought a new one and gave the old one to a friend of mine for free. He did change the oil, and he has been using it for years now and the thing still runs great and doesn't use a drop of oil. LOL

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mobil 1 oil and filter every 5000 Miles

·
Registered
348 Posts
I've had the dealer do it up to this point since I had a 4-pack of prepaid oil changes, so it's been (supposedly) what they use at the factory.

Going forward, will be using Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic 5W-20 since I can get it on Amazon for $27.47 US for a 5-quart bottle. I've always used Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles and never had any oil related issues. Change it when the vehicle tells you to since you have the 3.2L.

Other vehicles I've used Mobil 1 in:
2009 Jeep Compass Rallye - sold with ~215,000 miles on it
2008 Jeep Commander - ~178,000 miles currently, wife's daily driver
2001 Chevy Malibu - sold with ~230,000 miles on it
1991 Chevy Camaro - sold with ~280,000 miles on it. New owner still drives it from time to time.
1986 Nissan Truck - sold with ~196,000 miles on it to a relative. He continued with Mobil 1 and drove until about 2 years ago when it was hit by drunk driver. Had ~395,000 miles on it.

I can't remember exactly when I switched to Mobil 1 on the Nissan...I think around '89 or '90, but that's what my relative used in it also. It's been great stuff for my cars.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I've had the dealer do it up to this point since I had a 4-pack of prepaid oil changes, so it's been (supposedly) what they use at the factory.

Going forward, will be using Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic 5W-20 since I can get it on Amazon for $27.47 US for a 5-quart bottle. I've always used Mobil 1 in all of my vehicles and never had any oil related issues. Change it when the vehicle tells you to since you have the 3.2L.

Other vehicles I've used Mobil 1 in:
2009 Jeep Compass Rallye - sold with ~215,000 miles on it
2008 Jeep Commander - ~178,000 miles currently, wife's daily driver
2001 Chevy Malibu - sold with ~230,000 miles on it
1991 Chevy Camaro - sold with ~280,000 miles on it. New owner still drives it from time to time.
1986 Nissan Truck - sold with ~196,000 miles on it to a relative. He continued with Mobil 1 and drove until about 2 years ago when it was hit by drunk driver. Had ~395,000 miles on it.

I can't remember exactly when I switched to Mobil 1 on the Nissan...I think around '89 or '90, but that's what my relative used in it also. It's been great stuff for my cars.
Ah, the good old days before vehicles were single use, disposable units!!! LOL...😎

Reactions: techguyga

·
Registered
2016 Latitude North 3.2 v6
7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Latitude North 3.2 v6
7 Posts
THE garage i go to says to follow the oil change % on he information panel, as it goes by the computer diagnostic. Change at or around 10-15% remaining

·
Registered
47 Posts
the first change of a 5w-20 oil left me with greater doubts about the oil than before the change-it just did not stop trickling out even after a 1/2 hr or so anyone else have concerns?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts