2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't have black ones, but my chrome ones are identical to those. I have 2 sets now, one for winter one for summer. Perfect fit, the bolt's cone has plenty of grip on the wheel.
One downside to using 17mm head bolts : the OEM lug tool is for 19mm bolts, so you need to carry another tool for 17mm heads. I carry a 24" breaker bar with a 17mm deep socket (nested in a 25" piece of 1/2" pipe insulation). IIRC the OEM jack has a 19mm bolt to lift, so best to keep the OEM lug tool as well.
Sweet! I don't keep the OEM jack or lug tool anyway. I have a Hi-Lift, and a 150lb torque wrench with a 19mm deep socket. I'll just have to add another socket to my tool bag.

via tapatalk : 2014 V6 Trailhawk

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
I had a set of black 17mm lug bolts. The dealers kept having a problem with the size. Then someone forgot to torque the LF wheel and trashed a set of 5. I have the solid, chrome 19mm lug bolts now. No worries in the past 34K miles.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
What is the size of lug nuts do I need for my TH stock wheels
Same for all Cherokees (KL).
M12 x 1.25 with a 27 or 28mm shank, conical seat. 19mm head is preferred, 17mm head is Ok too. And they are bolts, not lug nuts.

Some one-piece chrome bolts on eBay here with 19mm head : https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-ACORN-12x1-25-CHROME-CONE-SEAT-STOCK-WHEEL-LUG-BOLTS-19MM-HEX-28MM-SHANK-JEEP/142837681939?hash=item2141ca0f13:g:LKsAAOSwCXJbKCpw:rk:22:pf:0
(^^ "acorn" means conical seat)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Has anyone removed the cap from an OEM lug bolt? I assume the cap covers the hex top of the bolt. What is the size of this hex?

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Has anyone removed the cap from an OEM lug bolt? I assume the cap covers the hex top of the bolt. What is the size of this hex?
Never heard of anyone trying. Well, a few of us have played around trying to rip one off, for fun, but Mcgard (who makes these) definitely did not wish for anyone to remove these caps, from the way they are pressed on there. But they want us to buy more OEM bolts when the stupid caps get deformed.
Wanna give it a try ? Let us know how it goes...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
My dealer mangled a bolt trying to remove it from my TH. Managed to remove the chrome part with great difficulty. The bolt head is not anything that matches my English or Metric sockets.
I threw the bolt away because it is useless. I use Fiat 128 bolts I got at NAPA for $4 each. Not pretty but I don't have to worry about mangled bolts if I have to change a tire out in the woods.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Never heard of anyone trying. Well, a few of us have played around trying to rip one off, for fun, but Mcgard (who makes these) definitely did not wish for anyone to remove these caps, from the way they are pressed on there. But they want us to buy more OEM bolts when the stupid caps get deformed.
Wanna give it a try ? Let us know how it goes...
It requires a hacksaw, lots of elbow grease, and too much time. Size w/o the cap is 17mm, so that will confuse your dealer tech. Buy the 19mm ACORN bolts referenced by @Mark_ and never look back.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just did my seasonal tire switchover. Swollen lug bolts damaged by dealer, last time the tires were removed, were a pain to get off, especially one, which took me about a half hour trying to get it off. Finally got it off by hammering a 19mm socket that had multiple teeth on it onto the top of the bolt. The extra teeth locked the socket in place. Problem was the socket was 1/4" drive, so I had to use a 1/4 to 1/2 adapter in order to use my breaker bar. But once everything was in place, it came of easily. Hope this helps for those in the same predicament.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Just did my seasonal tire switchover. Swollen lug bolts damaged by dealer, last time the tires were removed, were a pain to get off, especially one, which took me about a half hour trying to get it off. Finally got it off by hammering a 19mm socket that had multiple teeth on it onto the top of the bolt. The extra teeth locked the socket in place. Problem was the socket was 1/4" drive, so I had to use a 1/4 to 1/2 adapter in order to use my breaker bar. But once everything was in place, it came of easily. Hope this helps for those in the same predicament.

View attachment 210714
12 point 19mm socket. Thanks for sharing that. Depending on how the cap is damaged, this technique may not work for everyone, but worth a try.

So, had you already bought new aftermarket bolts (one-piece) before the tire change ?

·
Super Moderator
7,327 Posts

View attachment 210714
Basically went through the same process on mine and my wife's KLs. Now have 4 sets of one piece 19mm head bolts obtained from Amazon and Ebay....

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
Damn swollen nuts!!! I hate when that happens!!!o_O

😀

·
Registered
94 Posts
12 point 19mm socket. Thanks for sharing that. Depending on how the cap is damaged, this technique may not work for everyone, but worth a try.

So, had you already bought new aftermarket bolts (one-piece) before the tire change ?
Yup. I got the 19mm ones from Amazon.

·
Super Moderator
7,327 Posts
Just completed my seasonal changeover yesterday for mine and wife's KL. Replaced the 17mm ones that came with the winter wheels with fresh 19mm for next season. Put summers on with new sets of 19mm as well (yeah, I know 4 sets of 19mm, I'm just weird like that ;-} )

I have about 10 'decent' OEM and 40 17mm bolts used several seasons that anyone can have for shipping cost if they want them.....otherwise they go in the recycling bin.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts