2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to tell you that this trail I went on today was way tougher than what I expected and what was described. Lets just say this was THE toughest I've ever been on. Here are some pictures of some stuff we had to cross...and note that I didn't even get a picture of the main obstacle:wink:. Let me say that a number of XJs, JKs, and some guest drivers of Land Cruisers and Xterras, had issues getting up and over those ledges. After seeing one XJ slide into a tree stump that put a good 10" dent in his door, and another XJ, overheat trying to bump/crawl over those ledges, and then a JK bend her rim and blow her bead, and another JKU have to get winched, I decided to not continue....though I almost changed my mind <grin>. My wife, though at home, was telepathically telling me "You need to drive your Jeep home", so I reluctantly opted to not even try :wink:

My KL did very well up to that point on the other tough stuff. I aired down to about 22psi, went into rock mode and use my locker. I didn't slide or spin out much at all, impressing the host of the run. Others were spewing rocks all over the place, hehe. But it was rough enough that I will be touching up my rock rails and my skid plates soon :wink:

By the time we left to go home, only 5 vehicles had crossed that final obstacle. Three more were going to attempt it and 4 or 5 decided not to try.

This was one exciting run. Other folks took many more pictures and videos. I'll see if any are interesting enough to post here.

Attachments

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a few minutes of the drive up to Surprise Lake. This drive required a lot of very careful tire placement almost the entire run. Boulders had to be either driven over the very middle of my KL or over the front and then back tires. If I straddled a boulder off center, there was a very good chance of it hitting my LCA. I had to remind my guide about this "feature" as they (JK and JKU drivers) tend to allow boulders just to the inside of the tires where our KL LCA's are, and avoid the middle where their diffs are.

At 2:15, I hit my front skid plate on a rock. Keep in mind that my front skid plate is at 11+" clearance. So this give you an idea as to the sizes of some of these rocks :wink: . I checked my line and decided to go over the rock with my passenger side tires.

At 4:30, there's a log crossing over a stream. I had to check my lines again and decided to go to the left of that big boulder.

At 6:34, is a good example of a solid rock rail hit, hehe.

Jeep info at the time of this ride:
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 2.4L
Hazard Sky Trailhawk+ Lift
Dobinson Spring Lift
Rocky Road Off-Road Step Rails
Stock Firestone Destination ATs 245/65R17

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
You guys were having trouble walking up the stuff....you are a brave man....and obviously a worthy off-roader

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Looks like a fun trail. Nice pics!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys were having trouble walking up the stuff....you are a brave man....and obviously a worthy off-roader
Naw...I just follow a quote I heard from a member of my Jeep group... "Low (4LO) and slow and easy on the skinny pedal" :smile:.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been reading the Four-Wheeler's Bible, and I like what the author said:

"As slow as possible, as fast as necessary"
That's so true. So many Jeeps get broken by being heavy "footed" when wheeling. I've seen guys and gals, spinning tires, bouncing over rocks etc, when just going slow would have worked just as well. In my case, my TH will never be a Wrangler equivalent rock crawler, so when those folks are busy spinning out or bouncing around, I go low and slow looking for the best line for ME. Doing so has allowed me to keep up with those guys...surprising most of them too, hehe. Anyone that drives their KL with a Jeep group will have one or two outcomes. 1). They'll go low and slow and take their time on the trails. They'll learn how to find the best lines, avoiding the lines the Wranglers take much of the time. They'll learn to be independent and to make their own decisions, regardless of the pressures by the Wranglers drivers. Or 2). They try to keep up, getting caught in the moment of the other drivers and break their KLs :wink:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I must admit, I was a bit disappointed in this thread. Something titled "Surprise Lake" sounded like an epic story that would at least involve floaties and maybe a winch recovery. >:D

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Looking at that trail there is no turning back!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts