2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 TH/E with the 6 speaker sound system...

My dash speakers have been replaced with MOPAR / KICKER 77KICK25AB
Amazon.com: 2013 Dodge Dart Kicker Speaker Upgrade 77KICK25AB : Electronics
an easy choice since they were left over from my Wrangler.

MY 6x9s will be arriving any day (2 Pair) of JBL GT7-96. Thanks to this forum postings.
Amazon.com: JBL Car Speaker, 6x9 in. (GT7-96) : Electronics

this leaves me pondering about a subwoofer. I don't need one to annoy the neighbors, I'd like to add some bottom end to classic rock & jazz.

below are 4 powered subs. Does anyone have experience with any of these "under seat" subwoofers?
Are they any good? Will they fit under the front seats of the Cherokee?

since i have a 2019, I do not have the "towel bar" in the rear, but I'm thinking one "might" be able to be mounted in that area. Lastly sub number 4 is an amplified box. Well, I believe it would give the best sound, i cannot come up with a "good" way to mount it in the Cherokee.

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
The drawback to those powered subs is that if the amp goes bad (and they like to go bad in those all in one units) then the whole system is trash, same thing goes with the speaker. I was pondering the same question that you are now, for the same reasons even, and I finally decided on a separate sub and amp of good quality. My setup has been in my 2 Challengers and now resides in my Trailhawk, if my sub goes bad I can pop a new one in the box, if my amp goes bad I can swap it with a new one. All of the all in one setups I have ever seen have non serviceable components and they the manufacturer would rather you buy a brand new all in one than sell you parts to repair yours. I can put any sub in my box if something happens same goes with the amp.

Also, most of those setups can’t dissipate their heat very well due to their cramped/compact design leading to premature part failure. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been in friends cars with those things and they cut out and later come back due to built in thermal protection while I have never had my amp go into thermal protection no matter how hard I push it.

·
Registered
10 Posts

MY 6x9s will be arriving any day (2 Pair) of JBL GT7-96. Thanks to this forum postings.

this leaves me pondering about a subwoofer. I don't need one to annoy the neighbors, I'd like to add some bottom end to classic rock & jazz.

below are 4 powered subs. Does anyone have experience with any of these "under seat" subwoofers?

since i have a 2019, I do not have the "towel bar" in the rear, but I'm thinking one "might" be able to be mounted in that area. Lastly sub number 4 is an amplified box. Well, I believe it would give the best sound, i cannot come up with a "good" way to mount it in the Cherokee.

Jesse TH is right, but if you really want to go that way, the Rockford Fostgate would be my choice and i would go for the 12inches for $15.00, you will definitly have a better sound.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks, after taking a look under the seats, I have come to the conclusion that an under-seat subwoofer will not fit. I've seen some seat connectors before but the seat plugs for the Cherokee are HUGE! This leads me to believe that it will either a box in the cargo area (which I'd prefer not to do) or a "spare tire" subwoofer.

Reactions: skwormin

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
7,646 Posts
Thanks, after taking a look under the seats, I have comm to the conclusion that an under-seat subwoofer will not fit. I've seen some seat connectors before but the seat plugs for the Cherokee are HUGE! This leads me to believe that it will either a box in the cargo area (which I'd prefer not to do) or a "spare tire" subwoofer.
Why not in the spot where it's mounted in the 9 speaker system equipped Cherokees???😎

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have fosgate amplified 12 in trunk. Takes up alot of room though. 1 plug easy disconnect. No issues, I looked at under seat, but they wouldn't be enough for me. I looked for model but couldn't find

·
Registered
602 Posts
You could always run a slim 8 inch in the factory location with either the factory enclosure or build a thin mdf box for that area. You would the need the cargo trim panel from a 9 speaker Cherokee. Then you would not lose any cargo space. You could even run a smaller sub <7 inch if you wished. The JBL door speakers you picked have great bass so you won't need much in regards to a sub or wattage.

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
324 Posts
Thanks, after taking a look under the seats, I have comm to the conclusion that an under-seat subwoofer will not fit. I've seen some seat connectors before but the seat plugs for the Cherokee are HUGE! This leads me to believe that it will either a box in the cargo area (which I'd prefer not to do) or a "spare tire" subwoofer.
I think our vehicles are basically the same, 2020 TH here... and was always wondering if there are good slim speakers / sub that I could put into the spot on the lift gate that it looks like would be there for the 9 speaker system???

Interested once you get this all setup, after 2 years I need to get some better speakers in this bad boy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or jbl bAsspro hub?
Yes, the basspro or a:
VS12 - 12" Spare Tire Passive Subwoofer - Cerwin Vega

Passive so it will need an amp.

This begs the question, has anyone fit an amp under the front seats of our Cherokee? or how about the spare tire area if i removed of the side cargo holders?

Ii I go this route, it might as well be a 5 channel amp (same amount of work to install it - except you need to install the resistors).

Some of the amps I've been looking at are as follows.

Soundstream Picasso Nano PN5.640D Compact 5-channel car amplifier — 60 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 350 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield

Kenwood Excelon X802-5 X Series 5-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield

Clarion XC2510 Compact 5-channel amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms + 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield

The Kenwood is a graet amp, had it in my 4Runner, however looking under those seats I'm not it will fit.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think our vehicles are basically the same, 2020 TH here... and was always wondering if there are good slim speakers / sub that I could put into the spot on the lift gate that it looks like would be there for the 9 speaker system???

Interested once you get this all setup, after 2 years I need to get some better speakers in this bad boy
I am running these in the dash:

I order 2 pair of:

1 Pair has been installed in the front (waiting on the 2nd pair. So far it sounds much better.

Reactions: skwormin

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,400 Posts
This begs the question, has anyone fit an amp under the front seats of our Cherokee? or how about the spare tire area if i removed of the side cargo holders?
I put a Kicker KEY500.1 sub amp up behind the glove box... :cool:

·
Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
324 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
27 Posts

Most of those either won't fit under the seat or are going to be very tight. If you want to get a sort of all-in-one unit like that, I'd recommend Cerwin Vega's VPSTX12, JBL Basspro Hub, or a nice budget option would be the Rockville Rockghost. As far as the caveat of one part or the other (built-in amp or sub) going bad leaving the whole thing not working, my suggestion would be to buy from Amazon and purchase the third party warranty.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most of those either won't fit under the seat or are going to be very tight. If you want to get a sort of all-in-one unit like that, I'd recommend Cerwin Vega's VPSTX12, JBL Basspro Hub, or a nice budget option would be the Rockville Rockghost. As far as the caveat of one part or the other (built-in amp or sub) going bad leaving the whole thing not working, my suggestion would be to buy from Amazon and purchase the third party warranty.
I'm leaning in that direction...

The question is: Cerwin Vega's VPSTX12, or CERWIN VEGA VS12SH - 12 Inches Non-Amplified Shallow Spare TIre Subwoofer | eBay & a 5 channel amp.

I'm currently researching the mounting of a 5 channel amp in the spare tire area (if you cut the felt storage cubbies) or if it's possible to fit a small 5 channel amp under the driver's or passenger's seat.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk V6 3.2L Sting Gray
6 Posts
You could always run a slim 8 inch in the factory location with either the factory enclosure or build a thin mdf box for that area. You would the need the cargo trim panel from a 9 speaker Cherokee. Then you would not lose any cargo space. You could even run a smaller sub <7 inch if you wished. The JBL door speakers you picked have great bass so you won't need much in regards to a sub or wattage.
Has anyone had any luck finding the cargo trim panel from the 9 speaker system and installing it in the 6 speaker system? I also want to upgrade my 2019 but don't want to lose any cargo space.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Latitude
56 Posts
aiki-jeep said:
Has anyone had any luck finding the cargo trim panel from the 9 speaker system and installing it in the 6 speaker system? I also want to upgrade my 2019 but don't want to lose any cargo space.

Part number depends on your rear seat configuration and color
Personal protective equipment Auto part Event Automotive exterior Carbon

·
Registered
Blackbird 2019_Limited_4x4 Blk_on_Blk Tech_Lux_Nav
2,400 Posts
aiki-jeep said:
Part number depends on your rear seat configuration and color
And some have plush carpeting on the lower half as well. I sourced one on fleaBay that was a direct match for my interior trim a while back...
LOL., just looked up my purchase history, and the above pic is from the listing I bought!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts