2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a V69 recall service. Since this was a transmission problem I was hoping it would improve the shifting experience. Unfortunately is has only given me problems. I had no warning signals
In my dash before. Now I have a permanent ‘Service Shifter’ popping up. The Jeep garage tell me it suggests replacing the complete shifter module which would set me back 680usd. And even then they could not guarantee the problem would be fixed. I am afraid I am entering a rollercoaster of problems. I have not decided to fix it or not but I kind o wished I had never done the recall. Now I am even thnking the Jeep is not save to drive with my kids!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My 2014 Cherokee TH had recall V69 done. It has nothing to do with how the transmission shifts.
My TH still shifts just the same in 4 high and 4 low.
The Service Shifter error is a totally different problem.
TSB 08-054-18 Rev A solved the problem for me.
It replaces the shifter bezel and the wiring harness.
Should be easy for you to do, just need a trim stick to pop up the bezel.
My dealer replaced the entire shift console twice and it didn't fix the problem. Still the same wiring harness.
I think the wiring harness is the real problem but I don't know anything.
Look for DTC codes U1465-00 and P1C86-1D, I had the latter.
The above TSB does not apply to my 2014 TH according to the bulletin but it seems so be working just fine.
The TSB officially applies to 2015 to 2018 model year KLs.
The wiring harness is PN 68314957AA and costs $17.23 from Mopar Online Parts.
Try this first, then if it doesn't solve the problem replace the bezel.
The bezel PN depends on your trim level, there are 4 different colors of bezels.
The bezel for my TH costs $94.37.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I see from another post you have a 2014 TH with shifter problems.
My 2014 TH shifts just fine.
I have done all of the recalls and TSBs.
My TH shifted just fine when it rolled off the car carrier and has shifted just fine since then.
Some of the 2014s are good, some not so good.
The THs don't shift like Fords or Chevys.
Check for recalls on jeep.com

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
The Service Shifter on the dash will go away when TSB 08-054-18 Rev A is done.
All of the shifter lights were ON for the floor shifter, they are gone also.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oke I order the wiring harness and will try that first. The bezel is available but discontinued. They might be preparing a new version?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
get TSB from dealer

Great I will try this.
Get the TSB from the dealer, it gives you the instructions for replacing the wiring harness.
You are supposed to use Mopar PN 05013781AA Dielectric grease on the electrical connectors of the harness prior to reassembly.
You can probably use any brand of dielectric grease. Any car parts store will have it.
My fear is that the new harness has a connector that won't fit the OLD bezel.
Maybe somebody who actually knows can set us straight.
There is a note on page 2 of the TSB that says: "NOTE:The shift bezel electrical harness must also be replaced when the PRNDM shift bezel is replaced."
Sure sounds ominous to me.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Adaptive learn

I had a V69 recall service. Since this was a transmission problem I was hoping it would improve the shifting experience. Unfortunately is has only given me problems. I had no warning signals
In my dash before. Now I have a permanent ‘Service Shifter’ popping up. The Jeep garage tell me it suggests replacing the complete shifter module which would set me back 680usd. And even then they could not guarantee the problem would be fixed. I am afraid I am entering a rollercoaster of problems. I have not decided to fix it or not but I kind o wished I had never done the recall. Now I am even thnking the Jeep is not save to drive with my kids!
My Service Advisor said the "Adaptive Learn" process would need to be done again after doing the V69 recall.
That may be what is causing the poor shift quality. Hopefully it will sort itself out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bezel and grease

Get the TSB from the dealer, it gives you the instructions for replacing the wiring harness.
You are supposed to use Mopar PN 05013781AA Dielectric grease on the electrical connectors of the harness prior to reassembly.
You can probably use any brand of dielectric grease. Any car parts store will have it.
My fear is that the new harness has a connector that won't fit the OLD bezel.
Maybe somebody who actually knows can set us straight.
There is a note on page 2 of the TSB that says: "NOTE:The shift bezel electrical harness must also be replaced when the PRNDM shift bezel is replaced."
Sure sounds ominous to me.

I might order the bezel too and not take chances. I order the grease on amazon (small tube/cheap).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered the 2 parts from moparonlineparts.com with Promo Code FS2020 which gives you free shipping (18,70usd). Total was 111.60USD.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Great plan

I might order the bezel too and not take chances. I order the grease on amazon (small tube/cheap).
I had been getting the Service Shifter and all the shifter lights coming on for a long time.
All I had to do was shut off the engine, open the drivers door and everything was ok.
Still had the codes. Never had a shift problem so it was more an annoyance than anything else.
Let us know how the installation goes and take pictures if you can.
Maybe you can have a tech session with your friends.
Every now and then our off road club has a "wrench turning party".
Lots of fun to work on your rig with your friends.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Only in reverse

I had been getting the Service Shifter and all the shifter lights coming on for a long time.
All I had to do was shut off the engine, open the drivers door and everything was ok.
Still had the codes. Never had a shift problem so it was more an annoyance than anything else.

Mine only goes into Service Shifter when put in Reverse. When I am backed up out off the drive way and shut the engine off, start it again and put it in Drive it works normal. Shifting is "normal" no problems. It shifts like it did before (could be better but that could be something else).

If I don't do this procedure above and just drive on after backing up, the car functions normal but the Service Shifter will stay on and all the PRND lights are on, except R.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It takes a computer to really mess things up

Mine only goes into Service Shifter when put in Reverse. When I am backed up out off the drive way and shut the engine off, start it again and put it in Drive it works normal. Shifting is "normal" no problems. It shifts like it did before (could be better but that could be something else).

If I don't do this procedure above and just drive on after backing up, the car functions normal but the Service Shifter will stay on and all the PRND lights are on, except R.
Never had your problem, but anything is possible.
Hang in there!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Preliminary Investigations

I received the trim tools and started some preliminary investigations. I found out the socket in the shifter bezel where the connector of the wiring-shifter jumper goes was barely connected. When I tried to pull the connector out the whole thing disconnected and one of pins was hanging loose and fell back in (and got lost). I guess that is why they want you to replace the bezel too!

To disconnect the wiring-shifter jumper cable you have to press the little switch where I put the red arrow. It sits under the shifting unit , out of sight. You have to do it by feel but should be easy.

I put it all back together and now waiting for the parts to arrive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
If you push the "wiring-shifter jumper" back into place it may solve your problem and you may not need the new parts.
Are you still getting the "service shifter" error?
Did the contacts look corroded? Maybe all you need to do is apply dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion and put everything securely back together.
Thanks for the pictures.
Could you push the "pushed pin" in the bezel back into place?
I am impressed with your expertise, hang in there and keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts