2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I can accelerate firmly to get to 75 on the highway and I'll see RPM as high as about 3200 before a shift. But sometimes I feather the pedal to get it to shift one up. I haven't ever seen anything in the 5000s that I can remember.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Only time I have seen RPMs that high was when I intentionally floored the accelerator and kept it there.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That is correct, Auto Mode

and @Tiefy, are you for real? I've been driving for 14 years and have never experienced anything like this. To request big power yes you have need high RPM's but not to the point of where it holds gear for from 60-85MPH. It's not normal.
Yes, I'm for real. In the last 16 years I have been driving, I have been behind the wheel of Pontiac Fireflys all the way to Kenworths with 18 speeds. As well as motorcycles. Sport and cruisers.
I only bring that up because experience seems to be in question here.
6000 rpm is NOT unreasonable rpm when accelerating. Perhaps you failed to mention how hard you were accelerating from 60-85?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
My tailgate needed to be replaced. When I got it back, "Licence Plate Light Out" was showing on the EVIC, but the lights were working.

I told the service manager that they probably didn't install CAN BUS lights and just cheap ones. He assured me they were the correct ones, and to come back on Monday (it was a Friday and they were closing for the weekend).

Went back and sat there for a few hours, finally they told me it was fixed. Started the car up, "Licence Plate light out" displayed again. Being upset at this point as I had already wasted a few hours sitting there on my day off, they took the car in again and had 2 more techs look it over.

Eventually they took my word and pulled the actual part number off their shelf, put it in, and the error message went away.

The service manager came back to me, stuttering as he didn't know how to tell me I was right. He asked me how I knew, I simply told him I took the time to educate myself on the vehicle. Something they clearly do not do, which is awful for a company that represents Chrysler. I was absolutely shocked that they didn't know this, considering every new vehicle on their lot uses CAN BUS light bulbs.

Not to mention when I brought it in for my rough shifting problem. The service manager was scheduled to go for a ride with me so he could experience the problem. I don't live far from the dealership, and it was a cool morning.

When I got there, I explained to him it wasn't driving poorly at that very moment. He turned and looked at me like I was lying, and stated "so you mean to tell me if I take it for a ride, its going to drive just fine?".

Well no. If you were actually educated on your product, or cars in general, you'd know that the vehicle needs to fully be warmed up to operating temperature to get a true feeling for it. The transmission temp was still well below 60C, not even close to the normal driving temperature.

Its the little things like this that surprise me. I'm sure some of us could come together and run a dealership way better than these nuts.

Oh. And they installed some cheap clips on my tailgate that rattle like crazy. I pointed that flaw out to them and they've now ordered me the correct parts.
The MANAGER of the dealership referred to my Cherokee as "An 8 speed transmission", just to give you an idea about what I've been dealing with.

and @Tiefy and everyone else, I suppose I should have noted that I do NOT floor the pedal. This is NORMAL acceleration when I put my foot on the pedal maybe halfway to gain acceleration. The MPH and RPM's climb and climb and climb and climb and there is no shift until you literally get the feeling like I said earlier, as if the tranny is going to explode. It's not normal. As noted by someone else above, the only time you should even GET to 5-6000 RPMs on a car is if you legit FLOOR the gas.

·
Registered
284 Posts
@Michael 90 Im pretty sure I've responded to every problem you have with "I have that too" and I don't want to break that tradition. I had that too. I actually haven't tried a high speed pass since I got my jeep back from the latest visit. But in the past, basically you need that short burst of speed to pass, but the engine doesn't rev down when you release the gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only had my 4 cyl Sport a couple of months however found it a bit alarming when set on cruise going down a fair grade, the engine downshifted and revved up to 5K. I got out of cruise asap..and will not use on long downgrades at 65-75 mph. Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Only had my 4 cyl Sport a couple of months however found it a bit alarming when set on cruise going down a fair grade, the engine downshifted and revved up to 5K. I got out of cruise asap..and will not use on long downgrades at 65-75 mph. Anyone else seen this?
This is normal. The RPM's rev higher as it shifts to a lower gear to prevent you from being thrown into the steering wheel. If it shifted and kept low RPM's, your transmission would probably be on the ground behind you somewhere.

You also have to remember you're driving a vehicle that weighs over 2 tons, way more than the average car. The 4cyl engine isn't all that great at slowing the beast down without the assistance of the brakes. When I drive through steep hills, I have a tendency to use the manual shifter and use the engine and brakes to slow me down.

Reactions: mults and al7fi

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
This is normal behavior. These engines do not produce a lot of compression braking until they get way high up in the RPMS. There were several times during my mountain road trip where I saw 5K RPMS while engine braking on long down grades. As long as you stay below reline there is not a problem. What surprised me was the engine temps would creep up to 215-220 degrees while compression breaking. I attribute this to the changes in exhaust valve timing to increase the compression braking. Transmission temps stayed level around 165 during this.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Only time I have seen RPMs that high was when I intentionally floored the accelerator and kept it there.

This is normal behavior. These engines do not produce a lot of compression braking until they get way high up in the RPMS. There were several times during my mountain road trip where I saw 5K RPMS while engine braking on long down grades. As long as you stay below reline there is not a problem. What surprised me was the engine temps would creep up to 215-220 degrees while compression breaking. I attribute this to the changes in exhaust valve timing to increase the compression braking. Transmission temps stayed level around 165 during this.
???

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The first post was specifically referring to acceleration.

The second is specifically referring to compression braking. going down a 7% grade pulling a 2k lb trailer you will see 5000 rpms as you downshift to maintain a safe speed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
As a side note, as mentioned in my main thread, accelerating with this vehicle in general is an issue. Throttle response and getting some zip/pep after a start is very poor. Its a heavy car sure, but its not THAT heavy. Anytime I look to gain quick speed after a stop by hitting the pedal a little harder than normal, its a 5000 RPM jump before the jerk and acceleration. Anyone with a brain in their head who knows a thing about cars knows that you should never see 5000 RPMS or more unless the pedal is FLOORED.

You don't even want to see what happens when I try and pull into traffic. Well, actually, I don't anymore, bc I fear for my life if I do. Instead, I'll wait until a total clear path because I know it takes this thing about 5 minutes to go from 0-60

This for CERTAIN never existed in the early months of driving my Cherokee and definitely not on the test drive. I knew to test the acceleration well.

@gundad, what's the status on your Cherokee by the way?

I now have some sort of case opened with Chrysler corporate after the dealership told me there is probably nothing they can do for me anyway after I made a phone call to them yesterday asking if I can get an earlier appointment than September 10th. The manager confirmed to me that he is having tons of complaints about the way this car drives and that until a new update comes out i'm just going to have to "live with it".

-Michael

·
Registered
284 Posts
@gundad, what's the status on your Cherokee by the way?

I now have some sort of case opened with Chrysler corporate after the dealership told me there is probably nothing they can do for me anyway after I made a phone call to them yesterday asking if I can get an earlier appointment than September 10th. The manager confirmed to me that he is having tons of complaints about the way this car drives and that until a new update comes out i'm just going to have to "live with it".

-Michael
Im still having some issues after the flash and learn was done. They are not as serious as before. The all or nothing acceleration is gone. Its not skipping anymore. My new problem is a shudder as I come to a stop. I also have some weird shifting going on that makes me accelerate when Im coasting in traffic. I am going to give it a 1000 miles and see if the adaptive learn mellows it out. Make sure to turn off your hill start assist.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
This is very important to me because I am bringing my Jeep in for a THIRD time now and if the issues are not resolved this time I will be filing a lemon law case.
This one particular issue I will explain here is something I haven't seen discussed much at all on here and am curious if anyone else has experienced it...

When on the highway, or wherever I might be going speeds of 50-60mph, I accelerate to gain more speed. The car will then continue to climb up to 70-80, even 85MPH WITHOUT a shift. The RPM's will climb sky high and you will get the feeling as if the car is about to explode, and then finally, the shift happens, WAY later than it should have. It absolutely does not feel normal, and it also feels dangerous. Simply put, it does not shift properly at high speeds and either gets "stuck" in gear or "holds" gear too long. This happens 80-90% of the time.
The 4 banger will hold the higher RPM's longer than the V-6 as it's power range is higher up in order to achieve the power desired. Question though when you see it holding and increasing thin speed is your cruise control on or off? If it is engaged then it will have the effect you are experiencing. Next question and most important of all is your build date. Not the date located on the top left of the sticker, but the date on the lower right hand side. This one show's month, day & year. If it was before 12/15/13 then you may well be on of the 3-400 vehicles that had defective parts used. I had one of those as my 1st vehicle was replaced. But I had the infamous wobble, rough shift and vibration issue before the tranny finally just crapped out. So basically, what is your build date????

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
To gundad, what do you mean by hill start assist? I dont know of any button/feature for that.

And my build date was mid November. I got the car on February 1st. Am I using cruise control absolutely not. I am talking about regular acceleration when I'm goign 50-60 on the highway and then want to go faster. The car will not shift into the next gear and the entire process feels difficult and the RPM's just climb until FINALLY there is a shift at 80MPH, sometimes even 85. Most of the time I just give up and take my foot off the gas as I can't deal with such a thing anymore.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
To gundad, what do you mean by hill start assist? I dont know of any button/feature for that.

And my build date was mid November. I got the car on February 1st. Am I using cruise control absolutely not. I am talking about regular acceleration when I'm goign 50-60 on the highway and then want to go faster. The car will not shift into the next gear and the entire process feels difficult and the RPM's just climb until FINALLY there is a shift at 80MPH, sometimes even 85. Most of the time I just give up and take my foot off the gas as I can't deal with such a thing anymore.

This is normal operating for a 4 banger with the 9 spd tranny. You are giving it gas to pass, the tranny is dropping to a gear suitable for the amount of throttle your are applying. Thus if you want it to let off the high RPM's, then slack off the gas pedal and it will then shift into the next gear. Holding the gas pedal whether it be half to 3/4 or full throttle will determine how long it will hold that gear until the speed is reached. Have you tried taking your vehicle from a dead stop using 3/4 throttle up to 80-85 to see if it shifts through the gears properly? If it does shift through the gear's doing that then the response you are getting when doing it at higher speeds is normal. Once again it is a 4 banger with a vehicle that weighs in excess of 4000 pound's and it is doing what it needs to achieve the goal you are setting it to do.

·
Registered
284 Posts
On your uconnect choose settings. Then choose driving assistance ( or something like that). There should be a feature called hill start assist that is checked. Uncheck it. This seemed to help with the all or nothing from stopped problem for me.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Don't know your build date, but the May TSB for the transmission adjusted my shifting so I would get to higher gears faster.

After the update, my cruising RPM was lower, and I on the turnpike I generally drive in 8th gear, and see 9th more often.

So, has this TSB been applied?
is there anyway to check to see if any tsb's have been applied?

I bought mine with a build date of 6/14.. I assume they are supposed to have been done.. but I am the first owner.. the car had 15 miles when I got it.

does Chrysler or the service department keep a record of what vehicle they were applied to?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Read my main thread of "Explain your transmission problems". My story is pretty much summed up throughout that thread.

In short, the dealership has told me that all the "latest and greatest" udpates have been done and there is nothing they can do but wait for more updates. He said me and "a million other" people are calling and complaining about the way the cherokee is driving. He said for now I have to "live with it". He acted very shyster like, all defensive, and pretty much didn't want to hear my complaints, like any typical car salesman.

I then hung up and called corporate to complain. They opened a "star" case as well as a chrysler customer service case for me that will hopefully end with me getting some justice for this disaster that is now a part of my life.

·
Registered
808 Posts
@housedl - I think only the dealer can tell you what is applied. But if your build date is after the date of the TSB, I don't think the TSB's would be applicable in the first place. Only those TSB's after might apply.

·
Registered
402 Posts
@housedl - I think only the dealer can tell you what is applied. But if your build date is after the date of the TSB, I don't think the TSB's would be applicable in the first place. Only those TSB's after might apply.
thanks.. that is what i thought..

21 - 40 of 44 Posts