2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is very important to me because I am bringing my Jeep in for a THIRD time now and if the issues are not resolved this time I will be filing a lemon law case.
This one particular issue I will explain here is something I haven't seen discussed much at all on here and am curious if anyone else has experienced it...

When on the highway, or wherever I might be going speeds of 50-60mph, I accelerate to gain more speed. The car will then continue to climb up to 70-80, even 85MPH WITHOUT a shift. The RPM's will climb sky high and you will get the feeling as if the car is about to explode, and then finally, the shift happens, WAY later than it should have. It absolutely does not feel normal, and it also feels dangerous. Simply put, it does not shift properly at high speeds and either gets "stuck" in gear or "holds" gear too long. This happens 80-90% of the time.

·
Registered
299 Posts
What kind of rpm are you seeing? I think what you are describing is the reason why I like this 9 speed. Because it holds the lower gears longer. It won't hurt itself, don't worry. My tachometer gets function tested every day.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm seeing 5-6000 RPM's before a shift. It doesn't feel normal one bit. It feels like the transmission won't shift at the right time

·
Registered
687 Posts
My v6 certainly does not do that when entering a fast highway I will be accelerating up to 100km/hr ( 62 mph) to join the highway ,once on the highway I will wind it up to my normal cruising speed of 120 km/hr totally under control. I would not be using cruise just a steady foot.
I must add joining the highway usually in 7th and unaware to me it slips into 8th as I accelerate and revs quite normal all this in auto mode.
Not sure if there is much difference between driving a six or the four
Geoff

·
Registered
299 Posts
It will do that, when your foot is even only half way down to the floor. Something to try, if you feel like it should shift just ease your foot out of it until it shifts, then ease into it again to continue accelerating.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, clearly this is not right Michael. Mine (V6 TH) shifts around 2200 RPM, and you're correct I've not seen this issue mentioned here. I'm assuming you're in AUTO mode?

·
Registered
299 Posts
the shift rpm is determined by how hard your pushing on the gas! It's an AUTOMATIC.... When you request lots of power, high rpm is the only way to get it. And accelerating to 85 mph needs a fair bit of power. if you tried to maintain 2200 rpm, you would take forever to get to that speed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, clearly this is not right Michael. Mine (V6 TH) shifts around 2200 RPM, and you're correct I've not seen this issue mentioned here. I'm assuming you're in AUTO mode?
That is correct, Auto Mode

and @Tiefy, are you for real? I've been driving for 14 years and have never experienced anything like this. To request big power yes you have need high RPM's but not to the point of where it holds gear for from 60-85MPH. It's not normal.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't know your build date, but the May TSB for the transmission adjusted my shifting so I would get to higher gears faster.

After the update, my cruising RPM was lower, and I on the turnpike I generally drive in 8th gear, and see 9th more often.

So, has this TSB been applied?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've had this happen, but it isn't just the higher gears. I've had this happen in 2nd and higher. Didn't really think much of it since it isn't too common of an occurrence.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't know your build date, but the May TSB for the transmission adjusted my shifting so I would get to higher gears faster.

After the update, my cruising RPM was lower, and I on the turnpike I generally drive in 8th gear, and see 9th more often.

So, has this TSB been applied?
The udpate that was performed as noted on my paperwork was the 21-013-13 TSB

According to the mechanic, ALL the "latest and greatest" updates were performed last time.

I called corporate and they have opened a "STAR" case which is basically a case where they will personally make sure every repair possible has been done, as well as some other corporate claim case where a representative will be contacting me in one business day.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The udpate that was performed as noted on my paperwork was the 21-013-13 TSB
That TSB is from November 2013
http://www.hudsonhawk.net/tsb/21-013-13.pdf

The one I'm talking about is 21-018-14 dated May 2014, and there was a 21-018-14a in July.

One of the thing it fixes is being stuck in gear 4, which is possibly what you are experiencing.

Go here, https://mega.co.nz/#F!Kco1wCKa!RcaCmZFnJmuWBhI-YEwQ5w an download those 2 pdfs, give them to your dealer. Just in case

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jKolker, thanks for the info and help, much appreciated, but this is all in the hands of the dealer and corporate at this point. I'm not printing things out and BRINGING them to dealerships saying "Ok here is how you fix my Jeep", lol

This is all insanity to me at this point (see my main thread of "Explain your transmission problems" and you'll see my whole scoop.

I want the car fixed or I want it bought back. Sadly that might be a ways away though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Well, I printed out the TSB, took it in, and they installed it for me asap. If the fix was something as simple as that, I'd print out the entire service manual if it was needed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Isn't it sad when you get the feeling that YOU know more about the car than the actual mechanics? lol

·
Registered
808 Posts
I suppose so, but really, I cut them a little slack. They have to know things about all the different makes and models they sell, and have sold in the past.

We get the benefit of concentrating on only one particular vehicle. And spend time on forums where everyone else is doing the same.

Besides, I find it easier to get what I want if I've done my research..... ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's hard to cut anyone slack when you're talking about $30,000. That's all I'm saying.

I didn't buy a bicycle here

·
Registered
808 Posts
The "slack" I meant was knowing about every TSB for all the vehicles. Which is why I point them out to the service guys, if needed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have all the latest TSBs and have notice the high rpm just within the last month or so. I can understand the higher rpms if I'm flooring it, but that isn't the case. I should be able to accelerate quickly to get up to safe freeway speeds without going to 5500 rpm's. This is new for me. Didn't happen for the first few months.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Isn't it sad when you get the feeling that YOU know more about the car than the actual mechanics? lol
I suppose so, but really, I cut them a little slack. They have to know things about all the different makes and models they sell, and have sold in the past.

We get the benefit of concentrating on only one particular vehicle. And spend time on forums where everyone else is doing the same.

Besides, I find it easier to get what I want if I've done my research..... ;)
My tailgate needed to be replaced. When I got it back, "Licence Plate Light Out" was showing on the EVIC, but the lights were working.

I told the service manager that they probably didn't install CAN BUS lights and just cheap ones. He assured me they were the correct ones, and to come back on Monday (it was a Friday and they were closing for the weekend).

Went back and sat there for a few hours, finally they told me it was fixed. Started the car up, "Licence Plate light out" displayed again. Being upset at this point as I had already wasted a few hours sitting there on my day off, they took the car in again and had 2 more techs look it over.

Eventually they took my word and pulled the actual part number off their shelf, put it in, and the error message went away.

The service manager came back to me, stuttering as he didn't know how to tell me I was right. He asked me how I knew, I simply told him I took the time to educate myself on the vehicle. Something they clearly do not do, which is awful for a company that represents Chrysler. I was absolutely shocked that they didn't know this, considering every new vehicle on their lot uses CAN BUS light bulbs.

Not to mention when I brought it in for my rough shifting problem. The service manager was scheduled to go for a ride with me so he could experience the problem. I don't live far from the dealership, and it was a cool morning.

When I got there, I explained to him it wasn't driving poorly at that very moment. He turned and looked at me like I was lying, and stated "so you mean to tell me if I take it for a ride, its going to drive just fine?".

Well no. If you were actually educated on your product, or cars in general, you'd know that the vehicle needs to fully be warmed up to operating temperature to get a true feeling for it. The transmission temp was still well below 60C, not even close to the normal driving temperature.

Its the little things like this that surprise me. I'm sure some of us could come together and run a dealership way better than these nuts.

Oh. And they installed some cheap clips on my tailgate that rattle like crazy. I pointed that flaw out to them and they've now ordered me the correct parts.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts