2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

Steering Column "vibration"

7K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  frank79430 
#1 ·
Going in for my first service two weeks in. Nt crazy about that but I've been hearing a noise that sounds like something is loose and "vibrating". It happens upon acceleration. belt issue?

Also when i first start the vehicle in the morning the turning of the steering wheel lets out a nice grinding sound.

We shall see!

#2 ·
Yikes, keep up posted man :) fingers crossed not a huge issue!

#7 ·
So it is something to be expected and no need to worry??? That would be good news as the vehicle runs great and so far no other issues:)! Looking forward to a little more snow so I can see how she performs under more severe winter conditions
Thanks for the info and looking forward to hearing the outcome on the original post.

#8 ·
My steering has the same feel and feed back as using the touch screen to turn on the heat. Part of the drive itself- park itself- think for itself car movement I guess, so maybe any vibration and noises are exagerated as a result - driving a 4x4 smartphone is proving an enjoyable learning experience for me.

#9 ·
Any updates?

#11 ·
Not sure if this is what you are feeling/hearing.....test drove Limited V6 last night, MAY take delivery Saturday, at about 30 MPH on left turn heard a "chatter" sounded like it was coming from left front suspension area. Took a few minutes, but the salesman agreed that he was hearing it.
As long as it is no longer making the noise, I'll take it, of course, they assured me it would be fixed. First time I've had some good leverage on a car dealer!!
Any ideas what this could be?

#13 ·
Agree with Carefree, get another car rather than buy one that already has a issue

#16 ·
My steering column also has a pretty loud buzz I can both hear and feel when I first drive it in the morning. It goes away after a while, but I'm still trying to track it down. Tomorrow I'm going to drive it with the ash tray removed and see if the buzz is something touching it in the dash.

#17 ·
OK so it was pretty bad today after a long drive over the weekend and then sitting for a while. I noticed some noise directly under the hood as I walked by.

I plan to check it out tomorrow more closely. If it doesn't go away it'll visit service.

#18 ·
Mine was at the dealer for 5 hours yesterday searching for this. They wrapped things in foam, tightened things, etc. This morning the loud buzz and steering vibration was as strong as ever. Since it was raining today I could feel it more in the steering. On dry days the road feel overpowers the steering vibration, but on wet surfaces the steering is so smooth it's easy to feel the steering mated with the buzz sound. Taking it back next week to try again.

#19 ·
@LeCreaux Have they checked your alignment and tire balance? I assume so, as it seems an obvious first step...but I have little to no road buzz regardless of rain/shine.

#20 ·
I don't know, but I'm about to try another solution I just read about on this forum. Going to look for a metal tube passing through the firewall. If I find it I'll take a picture and try to secure it.

#22 ·
Can def hear it, hard for me to see it though due to the way its filmed

#25 ·
Same Issue, very frusrating

I have the same issue and a similar video. The dealerships claimed that it was non existent. It happens all the time. The dealer also did not give any good answer in regards to the sound that is made when rotating the wheel, basically said that is just how it is.

I noticed one user posted about his/herfix to the issue, but never followed up with a diagram showing the hose without the gasket he was referring to. I am eager for a solution to this problem.

I am posting my videos on youtube, an I suggest you do the same....I hope the more awareness there is the better chance of a fix coming along. If anyone has the actual fix please share with the rest of us!

thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.