2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this, I had my start/stop fixed in 2019 on my Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 it was the sensor, this summer on the dash the light came back on (A)! and when stopped the engine wouldn't shut down, took it in the dealer and they said there was no code, which when talking to other dealers it should, picked it up after paying 400.00 for a new battery, they said ours was cranking at 114 out of 700? Wouldn't we have noticed that, especially since i sit in my jeep and listen to music quite often for over an hour (my quiet time lol) no problem starting it. The day after picking it up the light came back on and the start stop wouldn't work again?
any advice, the dealership said that light means it's working, they have said a lot of different things?

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Hello, I am new to this, I had my start/stop fixed in 2019 on my Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4x4 it was the sensor, this summer on the dash the light came back on (A)! and when stopped the engine wouldn't shut down, took it in the dealer and they said there was no code, which when talking to other dealers it should, picked it up after paying 400.00 for a new battery, they said ours was cranking at 114 out of 700? Wouldn't we have noticed that, especially since i sit in my jeep and listen to music quite often for over an hour (my quiet time lol) no problem starting it. The day after picking it up the light came back on and the start stop wouldn't work again?
any advice, the dealership said that light means it's working, they have said a lot of different things?
Hi there Cindy, welcome to the forum.

What year is your Jeep ? Which engine ?

You'll have a message in the center display concerning Stop/Start (ESS) : steering wheel, left side, press the Down arrow until you see the Stop/Start status screen. When all is good, it says "Stop/Start Ready" (if I recall..). Or, you'll see a message about a problem, when ESS is not working.

The sensor (intelligent battery sensor = IBS) and the battery are the 2 main causes of ESS problems. But it can be something else and sometimes it's not easy to get to the bottom of it...

114 out of 700 : those are CCA (cold cranking amps). The battery has 700CCA when new, anything below roughly 400 is low enough to replace the battery. If yours was testing at only 114... wow that's low. Low but perhaps enough to start the engine on a mild day. It would not start on a cold winter day though.

After replacing a battery, the computer can require a few days to reset and relearn, and throw malfunction lights before it does. If this continues after a few days, there is a problem.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
How many miles are on your 2019? If under 36k shouldn’t the battery be under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think this is a 2019...

·
Registered
293 Posts
The battery has 700CCA when new, anything below roughly 400 is low enough to replace the battery. If yours was testing at only 114... wow that's low. Low but perhaps enough to start the engine on a mild day. It would not start on a cold winter day though.
Don't want to derail this thread, but thanks for posting those numbers. I'd been noticing for the past few weeks that my ESS would show Not Ready: Battery Charging. It's right at 3-years old (OEM), so I knew it was getting close to replace. I tested it the other day and it was testing at 459, so I just bit the bullet and put a new one in...with cooler temps setting in, didn't want to be stranded somewhere.

Not sure who makes batteries for Autozone, but I replaced with a Duralast Platinum H7 AGM. 850CCA, 80Ahr, and 140 reserve for $199 US. I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra on the Northstars...they are expensive!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would just add here that listening to your radio 'quite often' (without the engine running) for over an hour at a time is not something I would do. It will drain the battery down and then if you aren't making long enough drives to fully recharge the battery, you may not ever have a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Don't want to derail this thread, but thanks for posting those numbers. I'd been noticing for the past few weeks that my ESS would show Not Ready: Battery Charging. It's right at 3-years old (OEM), so I knew it was getting close to replace. I tested it the other day and it was testing at 459, so I just bit the bullet and put a new one in...with cooler temps setting in, didn't want to be stranded somewhere.

Not sure who makes batteries for Autozone, but I replaced with a Duralast Platinum H7 AGM. 850CCA, 80Ahr, and 140 reserve for $199 US. I couldn't bring myself to spend the extra on the Northstars...they are expensive!
Mine started giving signs a couple months before the Jeep's 3rd birthday. I voluntarily pushed it to 3.5 years before replacing it, but it was done-done by then, especially in the dead of winter, a brutal one too. It tested in the low 300CCAs when I replaced it ; had it been summer, I could've pushed it a few more months.

The Duralast Platinum is a clone of the OEM battery, made by Johnson Controls. Don't be fooled by the CCA spec, they have wiggle room on that one (OEM is rated at 700CCA, but cranks out more). Autozone also sells the Odyssey 94R-850, which is a thin plate pure lead design similar to the Northstars, and only $250... last time I checked. Oddly, and I've mentionned this before, the Autozone fitment guide does not offer the Odyssey as a match for the KLs, which makes no sense, because it's... a 94R AGM. I'm sure they could sell a whole lot more Odysseys if they corrected that. I've even contacted them on this subject : they have not replied.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine started giving signs a couple months before the Jeep's 3rd birthday. I voluntarily pushed it to 3.5 years before replacing it, but it was done-done by then, especially in the dead of winter, a brutal one too. It tested in the low 300CCAs when I replaced it ; had it been summer, I could've pushed it a few more months.

The Duralast Platinum is a clone of the OEM battery, made by Johnson Controls. Don't be fooled by the CCA spec, they have wiggle room on that one (OEM is rated at 700CCA, but cranks out more). Autozone also sells the Odyssey 94R-850, which is a thin plate pure lead design similar to the Northstars, and only $250... last time I checked. Oddly, and I've mentionned this before, the Autozone fitment guide does not offer the Odyssey as a match for the KLs, which makes no sense, because it's... a 94R AGM. I'm sure they could sell a whole lot more Odysseys if they corrected that. I've even contacted them on this subject : they have not replied.
When I pulled the OEM battery out, it said on the label 750CCA. The Duralast Platinum said 850 on the label and tested at 1197 when I put the tester on it.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
When I pulled the OEM battery out, it said on the label 750CCA. The Duralast Platinum said 850 on the label and tested at 1197 when I put the tester on it.
1197 ? That sounds high. But I'm not arguying.

The early OEMs showed 700, think they changed the rating in 2018 or something (and a different label). The Duralast Platinum has the exact same case as OEM and all other specs are identical, just a different CCA. Guess we need to get someone to test a brand new Jeep's battery.

CCA rating is one thing... but when you compare an 850 lead-calcium AGM like the OEM/Duralast to an 840CCA thin plate pure lead Northstar or the 850CCA Odyssey, it's a totally different game for longevity.

·
Registered
293 Posts
1197 ? That sounds high. But I'm not arguying.

The early OEMs showed 700, think they changed the rating in 2018 or something (and a different label). The Duralast Platinum has the exact same case as OEM and all other specs are identical, just a different CCA. Guess we need to get someone to test a brand new Jeep's battery.

CCA rating is one thing... but when you compare an 850 lead-calcium AGM like the OEM/Duralast to an 840CCA thin plate pure lead Northstar or the 850CCA Odyssey, it's a totally different game for longevity.
Honestly, I’m not really sure what a new battery should test at. I’ve had this one installed now for a few days. I ran a couple of short errands just now and threw on the tester just to see what it tested at.
I figure if I can get 3 years out of this one, I’ll be happy at the price I paid.

·
Registered
9,397 Posts
Honestly, I’m not really sure what a new battery should test at. I’ve had this one installed now for a few days. I ran a couple of short errands just now and threw on the tester just to see what it tested at.
I figure if I can get 3 years out of this one, I’ll be happy at the price I paid.
View attachment 212244
Great test numbers, for sure. Expect about the same life you got from the OEM battery ; if you get more, bonus !
One tip to increase battery life : put it on a smart charger routinely, overnight, like twice a month ; if you drive short stints, this will be very beneficial

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Reference your post:
"Honestly, I’m not really sure what a new battery should test at. I’ve had this one installed now for a few days. I ran a couple of short errands just now and threw on the tester just to see what it tested at."
I get my battery tested by Batteries Plus Bulbs and AAA within 30 minutes.
The readings are not even close to each other. Of course they use different brand testers. They both have printouts.
I don't think they are calibrated like a good ole Simpson 260.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For what it's worth, my 2 year old OEM battery is rated at 700cca and my tester indicated 750.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts