2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I feel like mine rarely kicks in Now that it鈥檚 cold. It only tries to do it if it鈥檚 above 70F outside it seems

i do turn it off sometimes.

it Has changed my driving habit in traffic, if I know it鈥檚 about to be green I won鈥檛 come to a complete stop
Might want to keep an eye on it and check it periodically. First signs of the battery on its way out is when it stops working as the weather drops. It might make it all the way through winter, but would hate to get stuck on a cold day. The start/stop stops working somewhere around 65 to 70 SOC. No idea where the minimum is to actually start the vehicle.

Registered
I feel like mine rarely kicks in Now that it鈥檚 cold. It only tries to do it if it鈥檚 above 70F outside it seems

i do turn it off sometimes.

it Has changed my driving habit in traffic, if I know it鈥檚 about to be green I won鈥檛 come to a complete stop
Yeah check the message in the center display, when ESS isn't working, If it says 'Battery charging' even after a decent amount of driving time, it's most likely a sign of a declining battery.
Don't forget coolant temperature has to be up to normal for ESS to come online.

Registered
2020 Trailhawk 2.0T Diamond Black
Yeah check the message in the center display, when ESS isn't working, If it says 'Battery charging' even after a decent amount of driving time, it's most likely a sign of a declining battery.
Don't forget coolant temperature has to be up to normal for ESS to come online.
I have checked and it does say that after driving 60 miles on the highway鈥︹uess My battery could be going after 2 years 26k miles

Registered
I have checked and it does say that after driving 60 miles on the highway鈥︹uess My battery could be going after 2 years 26k miles
Hmmm. That's kind of early for your climate. We've seen a lot of 2019 batteries go early and we've guessed it happens because of bad batches of batteries, but not so much for 2020s. Could be a defective battery or heavier than norma parasitic drain ?
Not-so-bad news here is that yours is still covered under 3/36 warranty.

Premium Member
Hmmm. That's kind of early for your climate. We've seen a lot of 2019 batteries go early and we've guessed it happens because of bad batches of batteries, but not so much for 2020s. Could be a defective battery or heavier than norma parasitic drain ?
Not-so-bad news here is that yours is still covered under 3/36 warranty.
Both our 2018 and 2019 went bad before the 3/36 warranty. (replaced under warranty)
The 2018 doesn't have S/S and just went dead. No warning, wouldn't take a charge.
The 2019 ran perfectly, just no S/S. Then the stupid dealer replaced the battery and
I had to keep hitting the button again. I think these Cherokees are just extra hard on
batteries. When hooking the negative cable to the battery, I noticed a nice little blue
arc. Hard to believe the dome lights would draw that much current by themselves. :unsure:

Registered
Both our 2018 and 2019 went bad before the 3/36 warranty. (replaced under warranty)
The 2018 doesn't have S/S and just went dead. No warning, wouldn't take a charge.
The 2019 ran perfectly, just no S/S. Then the stupid dealer replaced the battery and
I had to keep hitting the button again. I think these Cherokees are just extra hard on
batteries. When hooking the negative cable to the battery, I noticed a nice little blue
arc. Hard to believe the dome lights would draw that much current by themselves. :unsure:
This though is for a 2020, living in a cooler climate. Under 'normal' driving conditions, they should get 3 years battery life minimum.

Really short drives will kill a battery early, so will live accessories and using the battery a lot with the engine Off.

As for the arc on reconnection, I guess the computers come back alive and need the juice ; dome lights are incandescent so they do pull a bit of power.

Premium Member
This though is for a 2020, living in a cooler climate. Under 'normal' driving conditions, they should get 3 years battery life minimum.

Really short drives will kill a battery early, so will live accessories and using the battery a lot with the engine Off.

As for the arc on reconnection, I guess the computers come back alive and need the juice ; dome lights are incandescent so they do pull a bit of power.
I think in general Cherokees are just extra hard on batteries.
In the past I'd buy a Walmart (Johnson Controls) Yellow Top
with a 3 year warranty for all my rides. Only used the warranty
once on the XJ, because I installed something before a trip and
broke the terminal battery connection. Be very careful when cranking
down batteries, the terminals can be fragile where they connect to
the cell plates inside the battery! (free replacement, no questions)

My wife's 2018 gets driven 60-100 miles a day, but yeah short trips
were not an issue. I don't think any modern petrol vehicle should
need a trickle charger in-between trips. Months on end is one thing,
but driven every couple of days should charge it right up. Back in the
day vehicles could sit months, and maybe need a jump? No ethanol
to go bad, and you weren't running an IBM ThinkPad to decide how
the 454 was going to save the earth while controlling wheel speed. LOL

Hooking up the battery was like feeding an angry bear that hadn't eaten
all Winter. I expect a little arc from dome lights and stuff, but this power
hungry beast wanted a lot of power on demand with the ignition off.

:cool:

Registered
thanks for the info guys. I will have them check my battery next time I go in for an oil change (prob January).

I have 0 warning lights or issues, just noticed the S/S doesn't kick in much anymore (not complaining lol)

Premium Member
thanks for the info guys. I will have them check my battery next time I go in for an oil change (prob January).

I have 0 warning lights or issues, just noticed the S/S doesn't kick in much anymore (not complaining lol)

The GR8 machine will test it much better than any autoparts store.
The only thing is it can take a few hours, so I hope there's a pub
near by. :cool:

Kinda funny when I took my wife's 2018 in, they had to put it on the
GR8. I told them not to bother, the battery was dead. It probably took
more time to pull it in to the bay and hook the battery up than it did to
fail... LOL I think they needed the machine to generate a warranty claim. :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: Mark_

Registered
The GR8 machine will test it much better than any autoparts store.
The only thing is it can take a few hours, so I hope there's a pub
near by. :cool:

Kinda funny when I took my wife's 2018 in, they had to put it on the
GR8. I told them not to bother, the battery was dead. It probably took
more time to pull it in to the bay and hook the battery up than it did to
fail... LOL I think they needed the machine to generate a warranty claim. :cool:
Yep, that GR8 machine is God to them when it comes to battery issues. Gotta go through its cycle and get that printout...
We've seen bad Cherokee batteries ''pass'' the GR8 test before. Same with the auto parts testers, they give you a verdict at the end ; pass or fail (replace)... and Pass isn't always true with the Cherokee battery. Experienced techs (sometimes it's service advisors who run the GR8) would know how to interpret results beyond that verdict, hopefully...

Registered
So I've been checking every day I drive now (I'm back to doing usually 1x a week 160 miles round trip commute in the mountains)

14.5 voltage basically always.

Start / Stop not ready, battery charging,

always.

I drive from Denver to Breckenridge, takes anywhere from 90 - 110 minutes usually, and S/S never kicks in. Even when I get to town and sit at a stoplight after cruising at 65MPH for an hour.

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
So I've been checking every day I drive now (I'm back to doing usually 1x a week 160 miles round trip commute in the mountains)

14.5 voltage basically always.

Start / Stop not ready, battery charging,

always.

I drive from Denver to Breckenridge, takes anywhere from 90 - 110 minutes usually, and S/S never kicks in. Even when I get to town and sit at a stoplight after cruising at 65MPH for an hour.
Sounds like your battery is running on borrowed time. The alternator is definitely working overtime at a constant 14.5 volts. Have you had the battery tested lately??? As much as I don't like the ESS, it will always be a good indicator of actual battery health...馃槑

Registered
Sounds like your battery is running on borrowed time. The alternator is definitely working overtime at a constant 14.5 volts. Have you had the battery tested lately??? As much as I don't like the ESS, it will always be a good indicator of actual battery health...馃槑
Have not had it tested, I was going to ask when I get my next oil change in January or something, unless you think I should stop at an atuozone soon (I think they test batteries for free?)

Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
Have not had it tested, I was going to ask when I get my next oil change in January or something, unless you think I should stop at an atuozone soon (I think they test batteries for free?)
Yes, Autozone, O'Reilly and other places will test it for free. It sure wouldn't hurt. Be sure to get the printout with the actual health numbers, and we can go from there, as occasionally the test will show ok, when the numbers say maybe not so much. With your service demands, running up, down and around the Front Range everyday, I would definitely recommend the upgraded premium AGM like the X2 Power, or equivalent when it comes time to change it out...馃槑

Registered
Yep a battery test may very well give a verdict of "Good battery" while in fact it could be gone enough to prevent ESS from working. Getting test results is important here, especially for a finicky Cherokee. Getting a premium AGM like the X2 Power or Odyssey 94R-850 would give you more battery life, offsetting the price difference.

Registered
Yep a battery test may very well give a verdict of "Good battery" while in fact it could be gone enough to prevent ESS from working. Getting test results is important here, especially for a finicky Cherokee. Getting a premium AGM like the X2 Power or Odyssey 94R-850 would give you more battery life, offsetting the price difference.
but if there is indeed an issue, sounds like this would be covered under my warranty or extended warranty?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts