2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite in late August. I started getting an error that says start/stop system not available, service start/stop. I hate that feature anyway so I bought and installed the Smart Start/Stop module. It has worked fine, with no errors until today. Pulling away from an Arby's drive-through window the error came up again, even though the start/stop system was off. Battery reads 12.6 v with no load, and the reads 13.9-14.2 when driving. No codes in the OBD II reader.
Has anyone else had this particular issue? I don't understand why I would get an error when the goofy thing is off!
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
For what it's worth, I have a 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk and live on a mountain top @ 6700'. I was getting the start/stop error as well, however it was while driving back up the road on my way home....about once a week. So in my case it is because the engine is revving high for an extended amount of time. Looked it up in my manual and it says basically that 'yeah, that just happens' probably because of the 4x powertrain etc. Doesn't present a problem as I'm driving and not stopping till I get home. I have found that if I stop for a while at any point the error message turns off. I de-select the start/stop every time I go somewhere anyways as I find it annoying. But no other real problems.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I find it so annoying I paid $129 for a module to turn it off for me every time I start it. :)
abotu how much we paid. But considering the amount of wear that WILL NOT happen on the engine, the savings in not having to buy a new car as quickly well worth it. We dont live urban, so the savings will be less than someoen who lives in an urban area.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,278 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a 2020 Cherokee Trailhawk and live on a mountain top @ 6700'. I was getting the start/stop error as well, however it was while driving back up the road on my way home....about once a week. So in my case it is because the engine is revving high for an extended amount of time. Looked it up in my manual and it says basically that 'yeah, that just happens' probably because of the 4x powertrain etc. Doesn't present a problem as I'm driving and not stopping till I get home. I have found that if I stop for a while at any point the error message turns off. I de-select the start/stop every time I go somewhere anyways as I find it annoying. But no other real problems.
If you come to a stop on an incline, it will deactivate the stop/start for that stop. It doesn't give you an error message though. You can stop/start screen ,it will tell you that its not active due to incline. Where did you see that in the manual. From the software in the jeep, I haven't seen it as a requirement either. In your 2020, have you had the battery checked? If you are on the original battery, there is a good chance its on its way out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite in late August. I started getting an error that says start/stop system not available, service start/stop. I hate that feature anyway so I bought and installed the Smart Start/Stop module. It has worked fine, with no errors until today. Pulling away from an Arby's drive-through window the error came up again, even though the start/stop system was off. Battery reads 12.6 v with no load, and the reads 13.9-14.2 when driving. No codes in the OBD II reader. Has anyone else had this particular issue? I don't understand why I would get an error when the goofy thing is off! Any ideas appreciated. Bill Burnette 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
I had the same with my 2014 . Replacing battery solved it. Be noted that after battery replaced need few days until it will stop giving you the error message.

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite; 3.2L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I had the same with my 2014 . Replacing battery solved it. Be noted that after battery replaced need few days until it will stop giving you the error message.
After having the battery replaced I haven’t gotten the error again. I went through an auto car wash a few days ago with no error, so it appears to be resolved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi, I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite in late August. I started getting an error that says start/stop system not available, service start/stop. I hate that feature anyway so I bought and installed the Smart Start/Stop module. It has worked fine, with no errors until today. Pulling away from an Arby's drive-through window the error came up again, even though the start/stop system was off. Battery reads 12.6 v with no load, and the reads 13.9-14.2 when driving. No codes in the OBD II reader. Has anyone else had this particular issue? I don't understand why I would get an error when the goofy thing is off! Any ideas appreciated. Bill Burnette 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Hi Bill I had the same phenomenon in 2014. I replaced the battery and it solved. - How old is your battery? please be noted that the voltage in the control screen looks good. After replacing the battery, it takes a few kilometers of driving and a few starts of the engine before it resolves. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,
I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite in late August. I started getting an error that says start/stop system not available, service start/stop. I hate that feature anyway so I bought and installed the Smart Start/Stop module. It has worked fine, with no errors until today. Pulling away from an Arby's drive-through window the error came up again, even though the start/stop system was off. Battery reads 12.6 v with no load, and the reads 13.9-14.2 when driving. No codes in the OBD II reader.
Has anyone else had this particular issue? I don't understand why I would get an error when the goofy thing is off!
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
Hi Bill
I had the same phenomenon in 2014. I replaced the battery and it solved. - How old is your battery?
please be noted that the voltage in the control screen looks good.
After replacing the battery, it takes a few kilometers of driving and a few starts of the engine before it resolves.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
I'd say 8 out of 10 times when strange messages pop up, especially multiple, it's voltage related, and usually the battery or bad connection or ground...😎
I'd say 9 out of 10! :LOL:

·
Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,388 Posts
Don't get him started. He said ''99.9%'' battery at one point, then after I complained ( ;)) he went down to 96.5%, then after getting comfy for a while he bumped it back up to 98.6% battery. Now he's more realistic at 8 / 10 😁:p
Ya, 98.6% of the time...😉😎

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
The dealership put a new battery in and it solved the problem. Evidently, these things are very picky on the voltages they receive. My Jepp was starting just fine before he new battery

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Ya, 98.6% of the time...😉😎
Did you know that 83.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot?! 🤓

...and starter batteries are the cause of AND solution to 98.6% of all Cherokee problems?! :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Did you know that 83.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot?! 🤓

...and starter batteries are the cause of AND solution to 98.6% of all Cherokee problems?! :)
I love statistics, you can basically make them say whatever you want.

46% of all marriages end in divorce

Therefore:

54% of all marriages end in death

·
Registered
205 Posts
I love statistics, you can basically make them say whatever you want.

46% of all marriages end in divorce

Therefore:

54% of all marriages end in death
reminds me of the funny quote from bush,

"For every fatal shooting, there were roughly three non-fatal shootings. And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable. And we're going to do something about it."
obviously just a slip of speech but funny to read/hear

21 - 40 of 62 Posts