2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite; 3.2L
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite in late August. I started getting an error that says start/stop system not available, service start/stop. I hate that feature anyway so I bought and installed the Smart Start/Stop module. It has worked fine, with no errors until today. Pulling away from an Arby's drive-through window the error came up again, even though the start/stop system was off. Battery reads 12.6 v with no load, and the reads 13.9-14.2 when driving. No codes in the OBD II reader.
Has anyone else had this particular issue? I don't understand why I would get an error when the goofy thing is off!
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Hi,
I bought a 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite in late August. I started getting an error that says start/stop system not available, service start/stop. I hate that feature anyway so I bought and installed the Smart Start/Stop module. It has worked fine, with no errors until today. Pulling away from an Arby's drive-through window the error came up again, even though the start/stop system was off. Battery reads 12.6 v with no load, and the reads 13.9-14.2 when driving. No codes in the OBD II reader.
Has anyone else had this particular issue? I don't understand why I would get an error when the goofy thing is off!
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
Hi there Bill,

That service Stop/Start message is typically not battery related. A more probable cause is a faulty intelligent battery sensor (IBS). Only a dealership with a wiTECH machine can diagnose that. You can't get rid of those Service messages with the module you installed ; other ESS messages yes, but not that one.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
The ibs sensor is on the negative post. you could inspect it for damage.. but you are likely to need one.

It is also probably time for a battery even if it says 12.6v
mine lasted 3 years and the start/stop you disabled is the best indicator of battery condition.

In my case it kept going disabled for charging.. for longer and longer periods..

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there Bill,

That service Stop/Start message is typically not battery related. A more probable cause is a faulty intelligent battery sensor (IBS). Only a dealership with a wiTECH machine can diagnose that. You can't get rid of those Service messages with the module you installed ; other ESS messages yes, but not that one.
Thanks for the quick response!

Is it as simple as removing the old one and replacing with a new one? Or is it best just to take to the dealer? I see that it's on the negative battery cable...

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The ibs sensor is on the negative post. you could inspect it for damage.. but you are likely to need one.

It is also probably time for a battery even if it says 12.6v
mine lasted 3 years and the start/stop you disabled is the best indicator of battery condition.

In my case it kept going disabled for charging.. for longer and longer periods..
Thanks- I had been thinking of replacing the battery anyway prior to an out of state trip to do some off-roading in about 3 weeks. I'm not sure if it's the original battery as I bought the car used of course. Maybe just replace the IBS at the same time?

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Thanks- I had been thinking of replacing the battery anyway prior to an out of state trip to do some off-roading in about 3 weeks. I'm not sure if it's the original battery as I bought the car used of course. Maybe just replace the IBS at the same time?
Voltage readings you took aren't really great for determining battery health. If you remove the battery cover, the original battery is easy to spot : it's a 700CCA AGM, all aftermarket replacements sport 800 or 850CCA. That said, an original battery could have one or two more years left in it, but only a proper load test could determine that...

Yes you can replace the IBS yourself, not a difficult job. Just don't buy from a dealership... way too expensive. Expect a one to two day relearn period on a new IBS.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Voltage readings you took aren't really great for determining battery health. If you remove the battery cover, the original battery is easy to spot : it's a 700CCA AGM, all aftermarket replacements sport 800 or 850CCA. That said, an original battery could have one or two more years left in it, but only a proper load test could determine that...

Yes you can replace the IBS yourself, not a difficult job. Just don't buy from a dealership... way too expensive. Expect a one to two day relearn period on a new IBS.
Thank you for the info! I think I’ll go to Autozone tomorrow and see if they will load test the battery and see if they have an IBS.

· Registered
12,919 Posts
Thank you for the info! I think I’ll go to Autozone tomorrow and see if they will load test the battery and see if they have an IBS.
If they load test it, insist on them giving you the results. We need battery health% and remaining CCA. Those testers always finish with a verdict (good battery or replace), but those verdicts can't be trusted, not for a Cherokee anyway..

· Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
1,283 Posts
So just to be clear, the stop/start stopped working, and then you installed the eliminator, but never changed your battery? Usually that the first sign your battery is on its way out. Go ahead and replace. Its not worth the risk of going too long, getting a voltage drop on a module or two, and then needing to spend another $200 on a proxy alignment as well.

Reactions: bobloza and wlbjr

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So just to be clear, the stop/start stopped working, and then you installed the eliminator, but never changed your battery? Usually that the first sign your battery is on its way out. Go ahead and replace. Its not worth the risk of going too long, getting a voltage drop on a module or two, and then needing to spend another $200 on a proxy alignment as well.
Yes, that is correct. I did not replace the battery. I think I'm going to replace it today, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

· Registered
205 Posts
Hi,
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
my 2017 will say on the screen for start stop "start stop not ready" when started, when its "good" it will say ready, but if my defeat ESS button is pressed, it just doesnt do anything. I have a module that keeps that button "pressed" and when I had an issue that said I couldnt use start stop, I had amber warning light but the message went away with controls. i restarted and it was gone. Check battery for full charge. As in, get an AGM charger and put it on and let it make sure your system is charged. If it still has issue, then I would sayu battery, sensor, or cable. your battery voltage is low if your area is chilly at startup, but it would be okay at temp or hot ambient in my opinion

is your electric steering "stopping" when you arent touching it. I would relearn the power steering and the throttle, but you need a tool for the PS but maybe not the throttle

· Registered
1,507 Posts
. your battery voltage is low if your area is chilly at startup, but it would be okay at temp or hot ambient in my opinion
Voltage in a battery is lower at lower temps.
while running the charging system voltage is usually higher at lower temps.
I would see 14.0-14.5 depending on the seasons.. and battery state of charge.

FWIW automotive charging systems dont do a good job of keeping your battery at 100% which can take hours to get the last 10% in.

12.6v is fairly normal.. If we had the voltage when cranking or a load test that would be alot more relevant. The capacitive type testers are usually accurate but can also be off sometimes depending on what the battery issue is.

Font Pattern Parallel Rectangle Number

· Registered
205 Posts
Voltage in a battery is lower at lower temps.
while running the charging system voltage is usually higher at lower temps.
I would see 14.0-14.5 depending on the seasons.. and battery state of charge.

FWIW automotive charging systems dont do a good job of keeping your battery at 100% which can take hours to get the last 10% in.

12.6v is fairly normal.. If we had the voltage when cranking or a load test that would be alot more relevant. The capacitive type testers are usually accurate but can also be off sometimes depending on what the battery issue is.

View attachment 221198
yeah its lower at lower temps, thats why your voltage will be higher, your car compensates for the temperature becuase of your steering and agm and start-stop needs, the temperature compensation is to keep the state of charge proper. when warm, it is lower.

Im talking about the readout on the dash.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
yeah its lower at lower temps, thats why your voltage will be higher, your car compensates for the temperature becuase of your steering and agm and start-stop needs, the temperature compensation is to keep the state of charge proper. when warm, it is lower.

Im talking about the readout on the dash.
Right initially I thought you were backwards then I realized you were talking about voltage running(but not mentioning the running part) and calling it battery voltage so I edited my post.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
my 2017 will say on the screen for start stop "start stop not ready" when started, when its "good" it will say ready, but if my defeat ESS button is pressed, it just doesnt do anything. I have a module that keeps that button "pressed" and when I had an issue that said I couldnt use start stop, I had amber warning light but the message went away with controls. i restarted and it was gone. Check battery for full charge. As in, get an AGM charger and put it on and let it make sure your system is charged. If it still has issue, then I would sayu battery, sensor, or cable. your battery voltage is low if your area is chilly at startup, but it would be okay at temp or hot ambient in my opinion

is your electric steering "stopping" when you arent touching it. I would relearn the power steering and the throttle, but you need a tool for the PS but maybe not the throttle
Mine doesn't say "start stop not ready at startup", only after idling for a while- like in a drive-through line. And only then when I pull away. This is with the start stop off. I have the module as well. No problems with the steering.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Any ideas appreciated.

Bill Burnette
I just had the same light come on on my 2019 Overland 2.0 tubro has a new battery. Went off after restart with no reoccurring the rest of our trip.
My ex brother in law has the same name from NC.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had been battling the same thing for a few years (Solved my ESS Problem - I think) and eventually solved it by replacing both the battery and IBS with non-Mopar parts.
Thanks for all the replies folks! I went ahead and replaced the battery as preventive maintenance. If the warning pops up again I'll replace the IBS.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts