2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4 with the 2.0T I had the battery and starter and alternator checked and all were good so anything to worry about I live in Iowa and the weather has been all over the place lately I’ve owned it for 1 year and it has 46400 miles on it

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
8,739 Posts
I have a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Overland 4x4 with the 2.0T I had the battery and starter and alternator checked and all were good so anything to worry about I live in Iowa and the weather has been all over the place lately I’ve owned it for 1 year and it has 46400 miles on it
Probably not yet, if everything else is working, and you aren't getting any other warning messages, or alerts. You could try putting a good charge on the battery, and see if it starts working again. It's possible that you just don't drive enough to keep the battery at full charge. It's pretty common, summer and winter, but more so in the winter...😎

· Registered
4,567 Posts
Apparently you bought the Jeep used. So you have no idea what kind of battery is installed or if it has ever been replaced.
And, you can't see what it is because it is all wrapped up. It could be a flooded battery which is not correct for your application.
Quite likely the battery isn't good enough. If you have never changed the battery it is probably time to do so.
If the battery Warranty has expired it is time for a new battery. Do you even know what the battery Warranty is?
Make sure you get an X2 Power AGM battery. I have been in Iowa, it gets really hot and really cold.
If you want a real battery test use a carbon pile battery tester.
I am afraid my opinions on batteries is not as kind as Flybynightcru's, but he is correct.
You need an AGM battery charger to charge AGM batteries.

· Registered
13,166 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

As mentionned above, it sounds like your battery is slowly declining, and has gotten to a level where Stop/Start refuses to work, which is 'normal' for this Cherokee. Battery testing good at this point is also normal, reason is Stop/Start is very sensitive to battery health and will give us very early warning of its decline.
Usually, it goes something like this : you'll start to notice ESS (Stop/Start) gradually taking longer and longer to work, with that Battery charging message. At some point, ESS stops working, again with the Battery charging message. This slow process (progress) can take anywhere from 6 months to a year, roughly. And then, you get into the more bizarre problems as your battery's health declines below a certain point.

As @Flybynightcru suggested, try putting the battery on a charger overnight, at home, to see if you get ESS back. You should still have a few months on that battery, but no one can be 100% sure how much time. And unfortunately, a battery load test will often not show 'bad' until the battery's health is near critically low.

Battery life in these Cherokees is roughly 3-4 years, depending on your driving environment and habits. And as @sanghill pointed out, you need an AGM battery, because of the ESS system.

· Registered
73 Posts
I had to replace my battery last year in my 2019. I got the "Stop/Start not ready battery charging" message within a year of buying the car new but didn't mind because I usually turned it off anyways. At about 45k miles, the car didn't start one morning and I kept having to get it jumped, so I went and got the battery tested, but the test showed the battery was fine. I replaced the battery anyways and the car started immediately and the stop/start message was gone. Haven't had any issues since.

· Registered
1,543 Posts
Hi and welcome :)

As mentionned above, it sounds like your battery is slowly declining, and has gotten to a level where Stop/Start refuses to work, which is 'normal' for this Cherokee. Battery testing good at this point is also normal, reason is Stop/Start is very sensitive to battery health and will give us very early warning of its decline.
Usually, it goes something like this : you'll start to notice ESS (Stop/Start) gradually taking longer and longer to work, with that Battery charging message. At some point, ESS stops working, again with the Battery charging message. This slow process (progress) can take anywhere from 6 months to a year, roughly. And then, you get into the more bizarre problems as your battery's health declines below a certain point.

As @Flybynightcru suggested, try putting the battery on a charger overnight, at home, to see if you get ESS back. You should still have a few months on that battery, but no one can be 100% sure how much time. And unfortunately, a battery load test will often not show 'bad' until the battery's health is near critically low.

Battery life in these Cherokees is roughly 3-4 years, depending on your driving environment and habits. And as @sanghill pointed out, you need an AGM battery, because of the ESS system.
I started seeing this issue about 3 years ago with my current battery. Still tests fine so I just go without the ESS.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
That's very atypical. You probably charge the battery at home.
Or he is in the same situation as I. ESS blissfully doesn't work, but battery load tests fine. As discussed in another thread, it's probably an IBS issue and I've had it for a year+ now. But I'm a happy camper so I'm not going to replace the IBS.

Not all of us are battery killers you know. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Mark_

· Registered
13,166 Posts
Or he is in the same situation as I. ESS blissfully doesn't work, but battery load tests fine. As discussed in another thread, it's probably an IBS issue and I've had it for a year+ now. But I'm a happy camper so I'm not going to replace the IBS.

Not all of us are battery killers you know. ;)
Touché... 😁

· Registered
14 Posts
My battery is in that sweet spot. Start/stop isn't operating because of charging, but it starts perfectly fine. I never had start/stop before. I don't like it. I will be riding it that way as long as possible, and throw a charger on it periodically just to be sure the battery is usable.

· Registered
13,166 Posts
My battery is in that sweet spot. Start/stop isn't operating because of charging, but it starts perfectly fine. I never had start/stop before. I don't like it. I will be riding it that way as long as possible, and throw a charger on it periodically just to be sure the battery is usable.
Just don't push it too far. It may very well fail while it could still crank your 3.2L hours earlier. Problem with this battery falling too low is it can make your Jeep stall without notice. We've had a few reports of this happen here on the forum.
And just know that charging a dying battery becomes futile at some point ; when your battery is toast, it can no longer accept a charge, yet your charger may very well still show you that 'Charged' light. A simple charger can't evaluate reserve capacity..

I'm kinda lucky I live in a colder climate, because I let mine decline (on purpose - for testing) and it failed to remote start my Jeep on a very cold morning (it would've started fine with a good battery), so I knew it needed to go. I was also getting 4WD temporarily unavaible and Steering assist disabled on cold starts for a few weeks leading up to this.

· Registered
8,739 Posts
Our Cherokees are very hard on batteries, I'm on my third. First OEM lasted a whopping 14 months, and was replaced with the same Mopar OEM. After being around here, and seeing first hand all the wonky things associated with the slightest of voltage irregularities, I as many others around here got tired of messing around with them, and bought one of these. Meet the biggest, baddest battery money can buy, the X2 Power. It's likely the last battery you'll ever need to buy...😎
https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/auto_light-truck/battery/x2power/sli94ragmdp

· Registered
14 Posts
Just don't push it too far. It may very well fail while it could still crank your 3.2L hours earlier. Problem with this battery falling too low is it can make your Jeep stall without notice. We've had a few reports of this happen here on the forum.
And just know that charging a dying battery becomes futile at some point ; when your battery is toast, it can no longer accept a charge, yet your charger may very well still show you that 'Charged' light. A simple charger can't evaluate reserve capacity..

I'm kinda lucky I live in a colder climate, because I let mine decline (on purpose - for testing) and it failed to remote start my Jeep on a very cold morning (it would've started fine with a good battery), so I knew it needed to go. I was also getting 4WD temporarily unavaible and Steering assist disabled on cold starts for a few weeks leading up to this.
You are right, the charge is not a tester for whether it is any good, just tells you has done all it can! Sounds like you guys have seen all the warnings this car gives. The first is start/stop charging. This is the second battery for this TH. Looks like they last about 4 years. I figure if it is ok thru winter, it will probably be ok in the summer, but will be watching close.

· Registered
14 Posts
Our Cherokees are very hard on batteries, I'm on my third. First OEM lasted a whopping 14 months, and was replaced with the same Mopar OEM. After being around here, and seeing first hand all the wonky things associated with the slightest of voltage irregularities, I as many others around here got tired of messing around with them, and bought one of these. Meet the biggest, baddest battery money can buy, the X2 Power. It's likely the last battery you'll ever need to buy...😎
https://www.batteriesplus.com/product-details/auto_light-truck/battery/x2power/sli94ragmdp
I get it. Just opening the door, systems start to get busy on this car. I will ride the ol' girl 'til the jeep gets grumpy, then get one of those!

· Registered
8,739 Posts
Looks like they last about 4 years.
That's about right for the lucky ones...😎
I figure if it is ok thru winter, it will probably be ok in the summer, but will be watching close.
You might regret pushing it too far when it strands you in the middle of nowhere to the point you won't even be able to jump it off, or you're doing 75 down the highway, and everything just shuts down. That ain't good...😉😎

· Registered
8,739 Posts
I get it. Just opening the door, systems start to get busy on this car. I will ride the ol' girl 'til the jeep gets grumpy, then get one of those!
There's always something running on these things. That's exactly why we recommend a good dual purpose (starting and cycling), deep cycle, thin plate AGM battery...😎

· Registered
14 Posts
There's always something running on these things. That's exactly why we recommend a good dual purpose (starting and cycling), deep cycle, thin plate AGM battery...😎
I will take your advice and get it done. Sensitive electronics these days. Not like the old days where if it turns over you were good to go.

· Registered
8,739 Posts
Not like the old days where if it turns over you were good to go.
No, it is not. I think, for whatever reason, our Cherokees ARE very likely in the top 5 "voltage sensitive/battery killer" of all modern vehicle out there...LOL!!!
If you don't drive a Cherokee daily, on a regular basis more than just around town, you have to have a maintainer to keep a good charge, especially with just an average AGM battery. Two things I've never skimped on with my vehicles are batteries and tires. It's more than just assurance and confidence, it's also safety, and to me a quality battery is just as much an important safety component as quality tires are...😉😎

· Registered
1,240 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts