2014+ Jeep Cherokee Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought new in 2021. Has 12,200 miles. The Start/Stop has been showing "Not ready, Battery Charging"... went to Bay Co Dodge, Jeep... our local dealer for an oil change and to check this issue out. They basically told me that there is NOT a fix for this issue and we'll just have to be okay with that. I'm pissed. This is a new vehicle, under factory warranty and they tell me that Chrysler is aware of the issue, but sadly, there is no fix and probably won't be one. Has anyone else had this issue? If you have, what did you do to address it? Thanks!

· Registered
637 Posts
Well why complain, except for message you don't hafta deal with Stop/Start (ESS)!!! My 2015 TH ESS konked out 2 years ago, gas mileage went up a bit and I never hafta shut ESS off!! LOL

I have to deal with a message to have the ESS serviced but it doesn't show up often!

Go Jeep!!!

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
9,162 Posts
Bought new in 2021. Has 12,200 miles. The Start/Stop has been showing "Not ready, Battery Charging"... went to Bay Co Dodge, Jeep... our local dealer for an oil change and to check this issue out. They basically told me that there is NOT a fix for this issue and we'll just have to be okay with that. I'm pissed. This is a new vehicle, under factory warranty and they tell me that Chrysler is aware of the issue, but sadly, there is no fix and probably won't be one. Has anyone else had this issue? If you have, what did you do to address it? Thanks!
You're either not driving it enough to completely charge the battery, or your original battery is fading out (my original lasted 14 months). Try putting a good charge on the battery. Get a free load test done at your friendly neighborhood auto parts store, and check all connections and grounds...😎

· Registered
2022 Trailhawk 3.2L
1,132 Posts
Shortly after I bought my first Cherokee back in 2016 I started getting this message. I don't remember the miles, but I think it was below 1000. They tested the battery and said it was fine. I don't remember the post but someone on here told me to have them test, I believe it was the IBS (intelligent battery sensor). I had to really press the matter with them but they finally did it. Long and behold that was the issue. If the battery is truly good have them test that sensor.

Reactions: Sonny Hudgins

· Registered
2022 Trailhawk 3.2L
1,132 Posts
I stand corrected. It was in 2018 and I had 6300 miles. Sucks getting old;) Here is a link.

· Registered
13,501 Posts
Shortly after I bought my first Cherokee back in 2016 I started getting this message. I don't remember the miles, but I think it was below 1000. They tested the battery and said it was fine. I don't remember the post but someone on here told me to have them test, I believe it was the IBS (intelligent battery sensor). I had to really press the matter with them but they finally did it. Long and behold that was the issue. If the battery is truly good have them test that sensor.
Was the message ''... Battery charging'' ? If so, it is usually the battery. Bad IBS would typically produce a ''Service Stop/Start'' message, I think.

As @Flybynightcru mentionned, putting a good charge on that battery will the ultimate t-shooting step : if ESS comes back online after a good charge, it is definitely a bad battery situation. If no ESS, then yes IBS becomes a prime suspect, but a really weak battery not accepting a charge could also be the cause...

@Sonny Hudgins : is the Cherokee still covered under basic 3 years / 36.000 mile warranty ? If so, you will eventually get this fixed under warranty, whether it is the battery or the intelligent battery sensor... We can give you some pointers on how to get the dealership to do the work at no cost to you.. But first, if you can, get a good charge on that battery, at home.

· Registered
2022 Trailhawk 3.2L
1,132 Posts
Was the message ''... Battery charging'' ? If so, it is usually the battery. Bad IBS would typically produce a ''Service Stop/Start'' message, I think.

As @Flybynightcru mentionned, putting a good charge on that battery will the ultimate t-shooting step : if ESS comes back online after a good charge, it is definitely a bad battery situation. If no ESS, then yes IBS becomes a prime suspect, but a really weak battery not accepting a charge could also be the cause...

@Sonny Hudgins : is the Cherokee still covered under basic 3 years / 36.000 mile warranty ? If so, you will eventually get this fixed under warranty, whether it is the battery or the intelligent battery sensor... We can give you some pointers on how to get the dealership to do the work at no cost to you.. But first, if you can, get a good charge on that battery, at home.
Yeah, I honestly don't remember.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yes still under warranty...
Charge the main battery or the auxillary battery? I trickle charged the main battery to 100%, before I went to the dealership. If the auxillary battery, how do I charge it? Thanks, BTW.

· Registered
13,501 Posts
Yes still under warranty...
Charge the main battery or the auxillary battery? I trickle charged the main battery to 100%, before I went to the dealership. If the auxillary battery, how do I charge it? Thanks, BTW.
We never asked, but do you have a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee ? We are a Cherokee forum, and the Cherokee only has one battery...

If you have a Grand, then yeah maybe your auxillary battery is dead.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We never asked, but do you have a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee ? We are a Cherokee forum, and the Cherokee only has one battery...

If you have a Grand, then yeah maybe your auxillary battery is dead.
We have a 2021 Cherokee TrailHawk. The dealership stated that we had an auxillary battery... according to the dealership, they charged it to about 65%. They thought that us driving, would bring it up to charge... but so far that has not happened.

· Registered
13,501 Posts
We have a 2021 Cherokee TrailHawk. The dealership stated that we had an auxillary battery... according to the dealership, they charged it to about 65%. They thought that us driving, would bring it up to charge... but so far that has not happened.
Thanks.

I assure you, only one battery. Many service advisors make this mistake.

Charging the battery to 65% is not enough for Stop/Start. Can you find a small charger to use at home ? Borrow one maybe ? Getting it charged to 100% would help us determine if the battery is really the problem.

· Registered
97 Posts
Ask them to show you aux battery, then tell them to replace the main battery..

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks.

I assure you, only one battery.

Charging the battery to 65% is not enough for Stop/Start. Can you find a small charger to use at home ? Borrow one maybe ? Getting it charged to 100% would help us determine if the battery is really the problem.
I have a battery charger. I will put it on a trickle charge tomorrow. I'll get back to you when it's 100%. I'm surprised that the dealer thinks I have an auxillaty battery.

· Registered
13,501 Posts
I have a battery charger. I will put it on a trickle charge tomorrow. I'll get back to you when it's 100%. I'm surprised that the dealer thinks I have an auxillaty battery.
Don't be too surprised, it happens a lot. V6 Grand Cherokees and some Wranglers have two batteries, so some service advisors assume the Cherokee has two. It never did have two, just one, under the hood. GC 2 batteries are located under passenger seat.

· Registered
97 Posts
"...I'm surprised that the dealer thinks I have an auxiliary battery".
I'm not... Quite often you will find you can get better information about your jeep,

from a can of tuna fish... ;)

· Registered
2019 Trailhawk Elite 2.0T Olive Green Metallic Pearlcoat
9,162 Posts
Only one battery. The folks at your dealer are apparently morons...😳😎

· Registered
128 Posts
just over a year ago I had the same message for several months. It was nice not to have that damn start/stop working. Then I went on a road trip. After 700 miles of driving, the error message went away and the start/stop was back! I was pretty bummed about it. It seems the battery just needed a good constant charged.

3 weeks later I returned home. A few months later, the battery had to be replaced under warranty. They said it would cost $500 the next time I had to have it replaced. As if I would go to a dealer for a battery. lol

So it seems that Jeep has gotten the charging system completely wrong on this car. Since this is a dual purpose battery, part starter, part puesdo deep cycle, the alternator is not delivering the charge it needs for this type of battery. The save on the cost of providing a more capable alternator, and we get to pay them $500 each time the battery prematurely dies. All because of start/stop.

I plan on disconnecting it from the battery. Should save the cost of a battery or two, not to mention the cost of replacing a prematurely worn-out starter. I think I heard it cost $1400 to replace.

· Registered
13,501 Posts
just over a year ago I had the same message for several months. It was nice not to have that damn start/stop working. Then I went on a road trip. After 700 miles of driving, the error message went away and the start/stop was back! I was pretty bummed about it. It seems the battery just needed a good constant charged.

3 weeks later I returned home. A few months later, the battery had to be replaced under warranty. They said it would cost $500 the next time I had to have it replaced. As if I would go to a dealer for a battery. lol

So it seems that Jeep has gotten the charging system completely wrong on this car. Since this is a dual purpose battery, part starter, part puesdo deep cycle, the alternator is not delivering the charge it needs for this type of battery. The save on the cost of providing a more capable alternator, and we get to pay them $500 each time the battery prematurely dies. All because of start/stop.

I plan on disconnecting it from the battery. Should save the cost of a battery or two, not to mention the cost of replacing a prematurely worn-out starter. I think I heard it cost $1400 to replace.
Uhm, disconnect what from the battery exactly ?

Some observations here : the Cherokee batteries die early not because of the alternator (alternator is beefy and works as intended), they die because a) poor placement in the engine compartment, battery is exposed to high heat and not well ventilated, and b) battery construction is poor and engineers should have demanded a more potent battery for this application.
Yes, dealers make good money on battery repalcements. You can get an identical (to Mopar) battery at Walmart or Sam's Club for $169 right now. More like $230 at Autozone, Advanced, O'Reilley's, etc.. An awesome premium AGM like the X2 Power or Odyssey will set you back $330-ish.

Stop/Start will not kill your starter early. They are designed for ESS.

You can extend battery life in these Jeeps by hooking up a smart charger at home, once or twice a month (or more often if you really don't drive it much).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts